It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Embryonic Stem Cell Trial Gets FDA Approval

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

First Embryonic Stem Cell Trial Gets FDA Approval

www.foxnews.com

A U.S. biotech company says it plans to start this summer the world's first study of a treatment based on human embryonic stem cells...

...the study will mark a new chapter in the contentious history of embryonic stem cell research in the United States a field where debate spilled out of the laboratory long ago and into national politics.

While some overseas doctors claim to use human embryonic stem cells in their clinics, stem cell experts said they knew of no research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
As a biochemist in the healthcare industry, I find this greatly disturbing. Surely the demand for human embryos will be increasing as well at the price of them.

Other human cells, called adult stem cells, have been tested before in people to treat heart problems, for example.

Of course they have because they work. In fact there's a good number of alternatives to using embryos even if not currently as efficient as harvesting human embryos.

Geron Corp. has spent at least $100 million on human embryonic stem cell research. Founded in 1992, it does not have any therapies on the market.
- www.foxnews.com

I've heard the "they're dead anyway" argument, but once those are used, surely there will be more needed.

Baby discards:

The IVF embryos may be leftovers after a couple has completed their family. Other embryos might be ones the couple chose not to implant due to genetic mutations.
- www.cirm.ca.gov...

But, now we have another motivation for making a factory of humans.

Stem cell research, like any biomedical research, poses social and ethical concerns...

No, not like 'any biomedical research'. How absurd. I'm glad they recognize that there is a social and ethical concern however and rightly so.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
About time this started happening; crying to high heaven that anything that comes from inside a woman is 'Holy' or what not is a waste of an excuse. If these types of research lead to better cancer and disease treatments, then I'm all for it, nobodies died and yes I am also pro-choice, that's life, get over it.

While I'm not an expert on embryos, I'm going to assume you cant just rip them out of a woman's body, therefore the ability to clone embryos and grow them would be the next marketable item. Granted I could care less if they cloned humans or animals, TPTB will do whatever they have their heart set on, crying bloody murder won't change that.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
its like a world war ... america is always late to the party
least this time its a few days

a uk company Reneuron Group PLC announced on the 19th that they had been given permission and its due to start mid year

so announced earlier but testing of both will be around the same time and apparently for different uses of the stem cells Reneuron is working on stroke patients brain damage

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riviera
crying to high heaven that anything that comes from inside a woman is 'Holy' or what not is a waste of an excuse.

The unborn child is not just 'something that comes from inside a woman'.
He or she is an unborn child.

If these types of research lead to better cancer and disease treatments, then I'm all for it,

That's what the Nazis said about their medical experiements on the Jews.

nobodies died

Actually, they have.

Planned Parenthood must be having a party. They make sooo much money off women having abortions. And they make sooo much money off of selling the body parts of dead children to research companies! They are probably wondering how they can get into this new business venture.

It is completely immoral and unethical to kill one group of innocent and helpless people in order to MAYBE find something to help another group. That's the bottom line.

immedite edit

[edit on 1/23/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
HALLELUJAH, finally we have a president that cares about science over religious fundamentalism archaic views.

I can imagine the fundamentalist right now screaming and flagging their chest on this one.

This are great news indeed.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
...finally we have a president that cares about science

Good try, but he doesn't care about science really (notice he hasn't a science background). I care about science, which is why I became a scientist. I was very happy to hear that the job I got was in healthcare. Guess what? Farming embryos is not healthcare. It's a cheap way of mining death for parts. Wondering when the in-vitro baby factory begins, surely it's the next step.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Sorry but I am so happy with what I have seen so far that nothing can tarnish my good mood right now since Obama has starting to target many things that I for one agree with.

So I am just walking in the clouds right now.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'm excited to hear the U.S. is opening up new avenues of research. Adult stem cells have been quite successful in the development of treatments, but unfortunately lack the pluripotency of embryonic stem cells. We need to encourage research of both cell types to see the highest potential benefit to treatment of human disease.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
I'm excited to hear the U.S. is opening up new avenues of research. Adult stem cells have been quite successful in the development of treatments, but unfortunately lack the pluripotency of embryonic stem cells. We need to encourage research of both cell types to see the highest potential benefit to treatment of human disease.

At what cost? Human lives of course. Mind dying for science today? Surely your organs could be used for a college study. How about for medicine? Those same organs can be used in the Emergency room. All that blood you're carrying around is worth at least $50 a pint. Give it all, you could make a killing! You'd be making a conscious choice to do so, whereas these embryos do not get that opportunity.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
At what cost? Human lives of course. Mind dying for science today? Surely your organs could be used for a college study. How about for medicine? Those same organs can be used in the Emergency room. All that blood you're carrying around is worth at least $50 a pint. Give it all, you could make a killing! You'd be making a conscious choice to do so, whereas these embryos do not get that opportunity.

In my opinion, these embryos don't need that opportunity. Regardless of what the Church will tell you, an embryo is not tantamount to a sentient person like you or me. It has the potential to become that, but it is not at or near that stage yet. To suggest otherwise is nothing better than subterfuge, and you as a scientist should know this. You are letting your faith cloud your rationality.

How do you feel about in-vitro fertilization?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

If these types of research lead to better cancer and disease treatments, then I'm all for it,

That's what the Nazis said about their medical experiements on the Jews.

Except that in the case of the Nazi experiments, the subjects were walking, talking, breathing men, women and children who writhed in agony with every moment spent under the hand of their experimenters. I'm going to assume that the embryos in question are not suffering the same fate...it's just a guess, I know.

How disgusting to equate the horrific torture of sentient beings with the treatment of an embryonic stem cell, itself lacking the ability to feel any sensation, pleasurable or excruciating.

[edit on 23/1/09 by paperplanes]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This is bad.

Adult stem cells have proven more viable!
Yes, I believe the abortion industry with their beneficiaries, some of the democrats, are behind this, not for science, but for $$$!
It's like the matrix, where they take the dead babies to feed the others!
More, later.......

[sarcasm] Give me dead babies, I am looking old and wrinkly![/sarcasm]

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

In my opinion, these embryos don't need that opportunity.

You're certainly entitled to that, just as mine is that all humans at any stage deserve the opportunity of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

... an embryo is not tantamount to a sentient person like you or me. It has the potential to become that, but it is not at or near that stage yet. To suggest otherwise is nothing better than subterfuge, and you as a scientist should know this.

I know at what point the qualifications of 'life' are met and that is at fertilization. The gears of the cell starts turning and at first cellular division the requirements of 'life' according to the scientific definition are fulfilled.

Regardless of what the Church will tell you,

Have you been to my church? What do they say?

You are letting your faith cloud your rationality.

Thanks for you judgement, but please wait until I ask for it before giving it. Given your 'expert assessment', it's a wonder my company still pays me.

Life is a precious thing. We're afraid to throw away a plastic bottle (that's not 'green'!) but have no problem with tossing or hacking apart extra fertilized eggs.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Religions been holding us back far to long. This is one reason Im glad Obamas in the white house we might actually get somewhere. This isnt the dark ages people. And no they dont want to harvest unborn children, thats where research starts. Also if youre that religious and a biochemist you probably shoulda picked a diff career. People like you are like those pharmacists who refuse to dispence birth control because its against your beliefs. Well you shouldnt have taken that job huh?

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Also if youre that religious and a biochemist you probably shoulda picked a diff career.

Thanks for your unsolicited career advice. It'd be a darn shame to let that college degree to go to waste doing something else.

People like you

Tell me more about 'people like me', I'm always interested in learning more about myself.

Well you shouldnt have taken that job huh?

How did I get so far and yet not see where my career was heading? I'm so glad Memysabu, someone who has never met me, apparently knows nothing more about me than what my ATS profile says, and is quick to judge others finally shows me the path to enlightenment. Surely you can now sleep better at night.

Not withstanding this off-topic input, shall we resume the topic?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Didn't you know?
You're the reason we can't fly without wings and have super-powers?!!!
If you help us harvest babies, we will be young and invincible! But, you doing your job, (I guess you have one )and keeping us from the embryos!
I need more embryos!!!

This is just sick!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I know at what point the qualifications of 'life' are met and that is at fertilization. The gears of the cell starts turning and at first cellular division the requirements of 'life' according to the scientific definition are fulfilled.

This is about sentience, about the quality of the life in question. To suggest that an embryonic stem cell is as deserving as a diseased ten-year-old is either idiotic or wholly deceitful, depending on who you're lying to--yourself or your audience.

Regardless of what the Church will tell you,

By Church (note the capitalization) I mean the aggregate body of the Christian faith, ostensibly united in its opposition to this. I am not speaking of your personal center for worship.

Life is a precious thing. We're afraid to throw away a plastic bottle (that's not 'green'!) but have no problem with tossing or hacking apart extra fertilized eggs.

I'm happy to see that you are consistent in your beliefs. Unfortunately, opponents of stem cell research frequently ignore in vitro fertilization, despite the fact that it presents the same ethical issues.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

By Church (note the capitalization) I mean the aggregate body of the Christian faith, ostensibly united in its opposition to this. I am not speaking of your personal center for worship.

I see, and what does The Church say about this?

Unfortunately, opponents of stem cell research frequently ignore in vitro fertilization, despite the fact that it presents the same ethical issues.

Not exactly. It's the difference between riding a moped and driving a pickup truck. One goes a lot faster and uses a whole lot more gas. I can start a thread on the irresposibility of tossing embryos surely, but this is a bigger problem in scope and volume.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
To me the whole thing sounds like using murder victims (that don't even get the respect of being labeled murder victims, just 'cells') for scientific progress.

It reminds me of Elizabeth of Bathory who would kill virgins and bathe in their blood to maintain her youth. Or maybe the Holocaust victims who were experimented upon. That research is 'locked and banned' from being used due to the unethical way it was discovered.

You (general sense of 'You,' not targeted to the OP) can try to find the differences between stem cell research and the above two analogies I use above to make you feel better and there will be a few differences but at the core, it's the same.

Stem cell tech just doesn't work for me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join