It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Million Ghost March

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

newsbusters.org

doubt it would surprise anyone here that the media would go to their best lengths to over-estimate the number of people at Obama's inauguration. But just how far? Try a million people.

ASU journalism professor Stephen Doig took it to the satellite image to get an accurate count of the crowd. His tally, after even accounting for those still in route to the event: 800,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Apparently we're all being told that Obama is more popular than he really is. Just look at the record number of people who actually went to see his inauguration. The main stream media would have you believe that there were nearly 2 million people there. Yes, everyone loves Obama and you should too.

Where did the 1.8 million count come from? The The National Park Service said that there were 1.8 million, but they didn't take their own count. They just used the Washington Post's count. The Washington Post meanwhile is quoting statistics from the National Park Service. Circular logic anyone?

This whole head count thing has been turned into a politically correct math class where reality is thrown out and soemone else's agenda is pushed on us. The National Park Service is afraid to take a stand because they were threatened with a lawsuit when they placed the the 1995 Million Man March head count at 400,000.

Believe what you will. The National Park Service was 600,000 off it's count in 1995 and the Washington Post thinks that over 1,000,000 people materialised in about 30 min. Don't challenge what we're told. You might get into trouble.

The view from above doesn't show nearly as many people as the camera angle from the ground.

High res photo (13.7 MB)

newsbusters.org

[edit on 27-1-2009 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Great post. Actually, I thought it was more like 4 million people

To bad the aerial photo doesn't detail the 130 or so tons of trash left behind by party goers. Amazingly, included in the trash were thousands of American flags left on the ground. Why wouldn't someone want to keep one of those tiny little flags??

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You have to remember that there were tons of people that were there, but just not visible by satellite. One example is this
www.msnbc.msn.com...

They are calling it the purple tunnel of doom. Granted, it was not IN the mall. But, they were all people that had tickets. Thanks for the thread. If I had as much ambition as the guy in the article I would try to count them.. Thats just Madness imo lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
tons of trash left behind by party goers.

Washington Post

The city’s trash trucks have already hauled away 90 tons of inaugural garbage with at least 40 more tons left to go, said Mafara Hobson, spokeswoman for D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D).

“People left behind a lot of trash. A lot of it was the vendors along the parade route, too,” Hobson said. “They left behind Obama hats, Obama bags, Obama socks.”

What a bunch of pigs.

In the trash - Obama hats, Obama bags, Obama socks.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hey, any mention of those popular Obama thongs left behind??

Any Hankies. I know with this cold that I am fighting right now I sure could use an Obama hankie to blow my nose in.

I think they should save the unused and discarded clothing items and send them to some needy citizens of Kenya. They would love the stuff.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Sorry but when I see reports like this one thing springs to mind

You VILL go and support your Government Yah !? And you VILL look happy unt Vave your little flags YAH!?

I mean , *cough* a million people went , waved their flags all 'patrioticallystylee' like and then dumped the flags on the floor?

If I've gone to a 'important' shindig like that I always keep the 'souveniers' as a keepsake.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

This is very true. You would think that they would keep these things considering they were all telling the news anchors that it was such a historic event and it meant so much to them. Pretty typical though. Look at 9-11. Every house had a flag outside it for some time.. then POOF, they were all gone. Good point

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Obama thongs left behind

images4.cafepress.com...

I can't believe the marketing that has been going on with this election. It's unbelievable.

Edited - I had the picture up but then took it down.
It hurt my eyes.

[edit on 1/23/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

This is so funny.

On Hannity's show last night he had a montage of different news anchors describing the crowd.

It went like this....

"Thousands of people....Hundreds of thousands of people....Close to a million people....Maybe 1 or 2 million people....Millions of people....Probably 2 or 3 million people....A few million people...."

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

newsbusters.org

doubt it would surprise anyone here that the media would go to their best lengths to over-estimate the number of people at Obama's inauguration. But just how far? Try a million people.

ASU journalism professor Stephen Doig took it to the satellite image to get an accurate count of the crowd. His tally, after even accounting for those still in route to the event: 800,000.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

Ok whatever...

THE MEDIA LIED...

But... this guy is telling the truth!

Puhlease

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
reply to post by DataWraith

This is very true. You would think that they would keep these things considering they were all telling the news anchors that it was such a historic event and it meant so much to them. Pretty typical though. Look at 9-11. Every house had a flag outside it for some time.. then POOF, they were all gone. Good point

Except around DC.

I didn't see any flags come down up to the point where I moved from there.

As a matter of fact, I went back 3 years later, and the flag I hung from a tree was still there.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sheesh, if this is true lets hope the people doing the math are not involved in handling the business of the Obama administration.

I wish I had overestimated my personal debt by a million or so, hell I'd be rich now if I had.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
Sheesh, if this is true lets hope the people doing the math are not involved in handling the business of the Obama administration

Actually, it turns out Timothy Geithner was in charge of counting all the people.

Even though he got memos telling him how to count them, and was even given the tools to do it, he somehow managed to "leave out" close to 40,000 of them.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

The The National Park Service said that there were 1.8 million,

The National Park Service did not make their own estimate. They relied on the Washington Post count.

National Parks Examiner

In a statement distributed this afternoon, the National Park Service officially declined to provide a figure
“The Committee has provided no funding for crowd counting activities associated with gatherings held on federal property in Washington, D.C. If event organizers wish to have an estimate on the number of people participating in their event, then those organizers should hire a private sector firm to conduct the count.”
The Washington Post was willing to make its own estimate, publishing it in today’s edition. The Post estimated the crowd at 1.8 million people. With no count of its own, the National Park Service made the decision to allow that estimate to stand.

The The National Park Service said that there were 1.8 million, but they didn't take their own count. They just used the Washington Post's count. The Washington Post meanwhile is quoting statistics from the National Park Service. Circular logic anyone?

The Washingtom Post did NOT get their number from the National park Service. Fact-twisting anyone?

The National Park Service, which has been barred from making estimates since its count of 400,000 at the 1995 Million Man March drew the threat of a lawsuit, issued a statement yesterday saying it would "not contest" the 1.8 million estimate.

"We do firmly believe that the crowd that was there was the biggest crowd ever, and I think that's what people are most interested in," Park Service spokesman David Barna said. "We don't have anything that suggests there was ever a bigger crowd."

And most importantly, who cares how many people were there?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

How can we tell that that picture is not photoshopped??
or maybe a very big poster for the TV cameras that hid the masses booing and jeering.?

J/K

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And most importantly, who cares how many people were there?

I do!

It's too late to edit a previous post and now I can't account for at least 200,000 window lickers.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
AT least they weren't pelting the motorcade the way they did when George stole the election!

Obama is popular and it doesn't take the media to make that so. He is making some wonderful changes to restore much of what George took away, I don't get all the hatred I see for this man on here. Give the guy a chance for heavens sake.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Everyone agrees that it was the most attended inauguration since Reagan. The exact numbers would only be important to a pundit trying to spin things one way or another.

BTW, I wonder how many know the origin of the word inauguration.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Taking into consideration that about two hours before inauguration the transit, trains was completely stop due to capacity been reach in Washington and also it was control of how many people were allowed in the Mall.

So experts claim that the masses compiled including those that could not make it due to restrictions were two million.

I believe it and stand by it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join