It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good book on: psychology, metaphysics or philosophy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Heey all,
I am looking for good, and intresting books about these subject.
Just feel free too share anything, that comes too your mind.
Lookin for good, good books

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
First one that popped into my head; you'll enjoy this if you're of a 'scientific' bent of mind:

Metamagical Themas by Douglas Hofstadter

The subject matter of the articles is loosely woven about themes in philosophy, creativity, artificial intelligence, typography and fonts, and important social issues. The volume is substantial in size and contains extensive notes concerning responses to the articles and other information relevant to their content. (One of the notes--page 65--suggested memetics for the study of memes.)

Major themes include: self-reference in memes, language, art and logic; discussions of philosophical issues important in cognitive science/AI; analogies and what makes something similar to something else (specifically what makes, for example, an uppercase letter 'A' recognisable as such); and lengthy discussions of the work of Robert Axelrod on the prisoner's dilemma and the idea of superrationality.
en.wikipedia.org...

It's fairly old (80s); you should be able to find it fairly easily at the library.

Edit: oops ex tags

[edit on Jan 23rd 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Ahh, I like your interests. I'm a philosophy student, but I'm not going to recommend any of the major works. They have incredible content, but are extremely boring to read. Instead, I'll offer a book which should be right up your alley, but not necessarily a well-known book.

The book is "The Divine Matrix," by Gregg Braden. It has an interesting view of spirituality in relation to consciousness and quantum physics. It's hard to find books that will address science and an ethereal world at the same time, but this one does a pretty good job.

If you do end up reading it, you'll find it matches quite well with eastern philosophical thought and western science. And overall, it's metaphysical in nature so it should appeal to you.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thanks for suggestions

Will check out.

If anyone else, has books to add, feel free to do so.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
'Sophies world' by Jostein Gaardner is a good introductory book for philosophy

top topics

join