It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avalon – Gateway to Annwn – Celtic Underworld 'Land of the Dead' believed found.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
There are many many caves in that area, a lot of them are sealed by cave in, and the funding was never available for anyone to clear them, the ones which have been cleared were done by splunkers off their own backs, and took quite a time.

In north wales, very close to the village of loggerheads, there is a cave where they found human remains in a side passage, next to that passage is a lead mine opening maybe 3 ft in diameter narrowing down to a tight fit, once you get past the mine there is evidence of a deliberate cave in, with a draft blowing through it, which seems to show another entrance, which nobody has discovered yet to my knowledge.

This story could well be based in some fact, anyone living in that area will tell you, its a splunkers dream.

Finding it however will be luck rather than anything else.

BTW the lead mine dates back a long long time, if I can find my folders, I'm sure I have information on the caving systems in that area, if I find them ill post anything relevant.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Hello, I am a first time poster here, but long time lurker. I am also about 30 minutes from this area, but my brother actually lives on Ruabon Mountain in a place called garth. A few months ago I noticed incredibly odd patterns on top of Ruabon mountain via google earth as i was looking for his house.

latitude = 53° 0'13.01"N

Longitude = 3° 7'59.55"W

There may well be a simple explanation but i am stumped as to what these are. They are all over the mountain if you zoom in and look .

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
do they know if it was or any part thereof, ever under water?
i'm checking for a british "abyss."

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wow very interesting subject and beautiful pictures, I´ve been to Wales many times and it is a magical and amazing place as it is, these makes it even more magical.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Hello again, I tried to post some pictures of the strange shapes on top of Ruabon mountain, but i need 25 posts before i can upload pictures. Does anyone else have google earth I found another collection here

53° 2'16.23"N 3° 9'27.16"W

Now I can only imagine these are either heather burning/ harvesting....or spirits from the underworld. I'm going for the second one i think

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by flyattic

they look like ruins, much of wales has these although not in such a large numbers -some date back to the stone age others back to the italian POWs in ww2.

They could be old stone works to drain the peat bog and grab the soil - again remains of this can be as late as WW2 or as early BC.

This section of wales holds the very core of the celtic world, this is where they started and that little island to the west -Anglesey is where they made their last valient stand against the romans. People have lived and worked those hills since time began, many secrets remain lost to the soil.

I suspect that somewhere you can find the answer to your question, would love to hear it if you find it -if not then get timeteam down there asap

Is the place with the shapes on? from what i can tell these odd shapes cover most of the high areas north and south, must be so form of drainage system.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by NatureBoy]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Hmmm, I think they are a bit too close together to be ruins. Also I have a problem with understanding what they would be ruins for. The are very wavy and also on top of a completely unprotected (from the elements) mountain. If you zoom out and look around the mountain you can see they are everywhere. In all kinds of shapes. And there is no easy access to them. As far as i am concerned the only possible real world reason for this is Heather burning or harvesting. But why do it in such a bizzare way. I think a picnic and my trusty SLR will have to go on a little trip up here next week.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
i have a few questions.

what's the ancient geography of the area? how long has it been in its current state? was it at any time, under the ocean? is it part of an otherwise, under water mountain chain? when do geologists/archaeologists/anthropologists claim it was first populated by humans?

[edit on 23-1-2009 by undo]

well harlech which isnt too far away from snowdonia has the oldest exposed rock in the world! i go on holiday to north wales every year, it truly has some fantastic scenery and some great myths and legends-my fave being about a village in snowdonia called beddgelert.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
conspiracy emergency over, i found out they are actually cuts in the heather to enable new shoots to grow. Still, i've never seen it before around here in such vast amounts. It seems a rather large waste of money for somewhere which i'm sure is quite capable of looking after itself. Ho hum, I think i might take a trip up there anyway though.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This has to be the most beautiful place on earth, a "heaven on earth"! Can I please move in with someone over there, or just set up camp in one of the forests? I really need to get out of the U.S and live in a world like Wales.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

i hope i get to see those pics
be carefull though...

The area has been modified by human activity since prehistoric times when people built cairns and cleared the original forest. Mining has taken place in the area since Roman times and there are still many shafts of disused lead, zinc, silver and coal mines dotting the area.

They could be abandoned mine heads but i think they're probably either as you say heather related or peatbog related. I wonder how old they are?

with clustered and more isolated Bronze Age burial and ritual monuments

www.cpat.org.uk...

check this link out.

edit to add: oh yeah now you say that i can see thats what it is, hehe i've even seen them do it before, oh well just goes to show how interesting the area is they could have been anything from any time -still worth a visit
might see you down there i fancy some mountain air.
[edit on 23-1-2009 by NatureBoy]:

[edit on 23-1-2009 by NatureBoy]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

It is a great place to live. Also in this area is one of the suspected burial places of king Arthur. Castell Dinas Bran. Which ties in to this thread i suppose

52°58'45.13"N 3° 9'33.69"W

www.flickr.com...

If you ever come to North Wales stay at a campsite at LLyn Gwynant at the foot of snowdon. Its heaven. No light or noise pollution, you can see every star, and they even allow campfires. Pure bliss

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The place is so rich in history and myths, you could spend your entire life just seeking and learning. It truly is something!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Here is the image of the last coordinates that you gave. Not sure what it is but there you go. Welcome to ATS

oops, didn't see that

conspiracy emergency over, i found out they are actually cuts in the heather to enable new shoots to grow.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by becomingaware]

[edit on 23-1-2009 by becomingaware]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by becomingaware

Thanks for that, very kind of you. I think we have found out what it is though. Apparently its cuttings in the heather to stimulate new growth, they seem to do it in a profoundly mystical way though still. which counts for something.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well I'll be there shortly - should get a dog really - shame to traverse that land without one.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I will have to pop up there some point in the near future. I'm a londoner who's spent lots of quality time in Snowdonia, and 2 years ago I made the jump into Wales. Living in the south, not too far from the black mountains.

I'm starting to get fascinated by celtic history!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I also live in wales, in a small mining town called Pontypool, in south wales.

This is a truely interesting topic as to regards with the rest of the posts, which more or less come to bear no fruit.

I have 2 questions..

1. Does anyone have a pic of the map?

2. Why has this map only now become to light?
(reminds me of project bluebeam, where they say archiological discoveries would change the way we think of religion)

My 2 Cents

?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
if it was cuts in the heather to let new shoots grow shouldnt that area be covered in plants or should it stlll look like cuts?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thank you for this nice thread.

And...once again it turns out that a mere myth may have truth at its core.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join