It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filipino tests positive for Ebola, experts worried

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Filipino tests positive for Ebola, experts worried

www.alertnet.org

MANILA, Jan 23 (Reuters) - At least one person has tested positive for the Ebola-Reston virus in the Philippines, where the disease has broken out in pigs at two farms north of the capital, the government said on Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This is the first time Ebola has ever been reported in pigs. The strain encountered is a less virulent form, but if it can jump species the deadlier strain could jump to pigs as well.

Again I want to emphasize this is not the very deadly strain of Ebola that we are used to hearing about in the media.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Nice find mike,
I just looked it up and according to wiki (I know
) it's non pathogenic to humans but fatal in monkeys.

That being the case I suppose it is possible for it to make the species jump, although not being a virologist I don't know how possible.

Interesting though, whichever way it pans out.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The strain the Philippines pigs have, Ebola Virus Reston as somebody already stated is not pathogenic to humans ........... but it is airborne.
Its surely only a matter of time before this mutates .

This strain of the virus gets its name from Reston Virginia , and the film `Outbreak` was inspired by the scare that they had there in 1989...... with Ebola infected monkeys from the Philippines .

I worry that the natural inhibitors to population growth which all animals experience , and we humans have managed to side-step repeated ~ will sweep through our densely populated centres, aided by transcontinental travel.
I don`t believe in Gaia theory but i do believe that natural systems have a way of regulating themselves...... eventually .

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It wouldn't be difficult to modify the virus to jump to humans. My experience with vectors indicates if someone wanted to, it would be fairly simple by analizing the HIV strains present in humans and chimps.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

hmm this is worrying. Flag for you my friend. Keep it coming.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
For everyone saying it would be difficult for this strain to mutate into a viral that is contagious to humans (like a regular viral flu if you will) are wrong. All it takes for the strain(s) to mutate is for it to be hosted by someone or something that has one pharmaceutic resistant viral strain intact in the system. This would allow ANY viral strain to mutate not just Ebola. How do you think the hsn51 has mutated? It was hosted in an environment that allowed it to mutate with other viral s and bam you have a new viral epidemic.
Microbes are microbes it doesn't matter which ones you look at, if they find a host and something to attach to they will. That's all there is to it. Micro biologists have been saying for years that the over use of pharmaceuticals was going to lead to massive out breaks of resistant disease's. That would include disease's that had once been thought to have been eradicated due to the former use of drugs. BUT the one difference would be that the diseases would be "new" strains due to mutations from the over use of the drugs to treat them.
The same thing happens to any human who uses medication on a regular basis, either the dose has to be upped or they straight become resistant to it from over use. Drug resistant flu anyone? Already happened and is in effect. There are now strains resistant to Tamiflu. So they created a new drug and the circle just keeps going.

new topics

top topics

join