It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama sworn in again, but without a Bible

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika
I have a question: what if your're an atheist? What do you swear on? And forget being the President, just as a regular person, swearing for example in court, to tell the truth....are you supposed to tell them that you're an atheist?

You don't have to use a Bible if you dont want to.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
if Bush did this

they would all be going nuts on ATS

LIKE, why weren't cameras allowed?

it's truly pathetic and liberals are so predictable.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by haika

You don't HAVE to use a bible in court. I've seen it happen a lot. Many times the person just raises their hand and says the oath. Sometimes they even take out that "so help you god" business.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The Bald Champion

I apologize to you, and those like you. The hard working Americans. Those that have been pushed just a little too hard by some elitist pig or faceless corporation. I'm in those same shoes, and I don't mean to offend you.

Although, I do mean to offend those that refuse to get a job. Those that would rather live on welfare than support themselves. I do mean to offend those that voted for Obama because he's black. Those that refuse to take Martin Luther King, Jr.'s words to heart.

But you (generally speaking) have to understand what we're dealing with here. Obama is not the change and hope that people want. I do not like Bush, but I do appreciate it when some conservative values peak out of his bleak little soul every now and then. Obama on the other hand is not what we need right now. We need to step back, ignore the media, and take a damn good long look at our current situation.

Let's just say Obama does manage to improve the economy with money, as he hopes. What we will experience is 'extreme' (if you will) inflation, if not hyperinflation. The value of our money will drop to almost nothing, leaving us poor, hungry, cold and helpless to the large government we have just allowed to happen. That's what happens when a mint partakes in quantitative easing (aka: printing money until you run out of paper).

I can't out of the love for my country let people think like this. Mass spending, sacrificing liberty, and "hoping" for good fortune instead of working for it is not the way to go.

All taxes paid by corporations are added as cost to the products you buy. Remember that when you want the big corp to pay their own. You're the only one that suffers, the Executive Officers never will.

By the way, I work one full time job at 36 hours a week, and two part time jobs at around 20 hours a week each. I'm working on A+, Network+, and MCSA certifications to improve my livelihood, afterwards I will attend a community college, transfer to a state school, majoring in computer engineering and minoring in US history, and then I will, as time permits, work towards a master's degree. I don't need a tax cut, I need to be able to go home and not hear about another politician stepping on another one of my freedom's in the name of [fill in the blank]. I'm tired of it, and my friends keep voting these jackasses in to office.

No offense to any hard working, freedom loving American. I salute you. You other lazy bums, on the other hand, need to turn off the TV, read a book, and get a job. That will help much more than $800 Billion (or $8.6 trillion, depending on the source).

Sorry for the derail, you may continue.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Some tell me that watching on CNN for the first swearing in, Obama didn't touch the Lincoln Bible either. Perhaps a bible will burst into flames if he touches it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger
Some tell me that watching on CNN for the first swearing in, Obama didn't touch the Lincoln Bible either. Perhaps a bible will burst into flames if he touches it.

Perhaps it's because he finds lies repulsive.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by danman23

It is claimed that Testament is derived from the same source as 'Testes'.

Apparently it was an old Hebrew custom to grab hold of the master's most precious possession when swearing an oath. Refer "They Lied to us at Sunday School" by Ian Vayro - Joshua Books...page 86.

Genesis 24:2 And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, they hand under my thigh.

Genesis 24:9 And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter.

Genesis 47:29 And the time drew nigh that Israel must die: and he called his son 'Joseph and said unto him, If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, they hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me; bury me not, I pray thee, in Egypt.

Obama may have decided to follow the old tradition and this was better conducted in private.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Malankhkare

Hahaha... hmmmm.. ya know, that might be the case. Weird.. really weird, never heard that before.. but wow, the reporters in the room would have had to been in on it and not allowed to take pics or tell anyone. hahaha..

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger

Looks like he was touching it..

But look at the smirks... you would think they would be upset that they messed up the swearing in.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by danman23

You wouldn't be happy to be becoming the president of the United States? It's a happy occasion. His expression is adequate. I think you're trying to find a conspiracy here that's not really present.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

In that post I was responding to the guy that said his friends said that obama wasnt touching the Bible. but I pointed out that it looks like his is. but ya I'd smile if I were president.. but not if the guy swearing me in messed up the oath.. i would freak out... but thats all beyond the point.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What would happen if his hand touched the bible.

Would it be like the cross and vampires and end a good movie series.

As long as we all don't get burned up by the Sun things should be OK.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Guys.. I don't care what your belief systems are..

Tradition (which I am a big fan of traditions) states that when you get sworn in it is on the Bible (which is appropriate as the majority of US presidents have been christian). Same as in a court of law.. You put your left hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I mean when he was sworn the first time (on the bible) he screwed it up (which leads to another conspiracy angle that he didn't want to damn his soul lol).. Then when he redid the oath it was without it... (so nothing to worry about..)

Personally I think he should have kept with tradition.. What makes him any more special than the other 43?
edit on 8-4-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Since Jesus told us very specifically not to swear oaths, I find it interesting that Christians are upset about Obama not using a Bible. The Bible itself forbids swearing on the Bible!

Matthew 5:33-37 (New International Version, ©2011)

Oaths
33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't swear on the bible if I became president.......one thing has nothing to do with the other. The church is separate from the state, as it should be.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

The people of those times thought a curse would come down upon them if they failed to keep the oath,So Jesus taught that it was best to avoid taking an oath altogether,
Because of their fear of swearing by god, they would make a vow on heaven or earth

James 5
Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. All you need to say is a simple “Yes” or “No.” Otherwise you will be condemned.

You see the condemned refers to this superstition.

If you study the Bible text and take into consideration the history of the area it gets really much clearer then Sunday School teachings.

edit on 033030p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
While I believe religion to be a gross abuse of human minds, I ultimately don't give a rat's backside what anyone believes in. All I ask is that it don't be shoved down the throats of others, be it in form of missionaries, or under the guise of "oath traditions". To serve all civilians equally, government should be as neutral as possible and show no preference. Thus, I'd rather see religion stripped from being intertwined with government/legal actions such as oath swearing. Otherwise, to be fair, one must offer up a wide variety of things to swear upon/to, to be as open-minded and as thoughtful as possible. If the masses are appalled by the latter, the aforementioned is a better route to take. Religious favoritism has no place in government at all.

That said, either he swore on a bible or not. Either he swore on the right one or not. Who cares at the end of the day anyway?
edit on 4/8/2011 by Nyiah because: Typo

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

No where in the Constitution does the President have to be "sworn in" on the Bible. In fact, swearing an oath on the Bible is a no no, just ask God.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Calm the eff down people! You act as if the Oath is some Mystical Incantation.

Gimme break. Sheesh

[edit on 1/23/2009 by thehumbleone]

Some dude, an infamous liar, with a hand in the air repeating scripted words he doesn't mean is a big deal!! birds sing, food rains on the hungry and puppies & kittens smile..

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join