It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama sworn in again, but without a Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Barack Obama sworn in again, but without a Bible

www.timesonline.co.uk

John Roberts, the Chief Justice charged who helped bungle the oath on Tuesday, was summoned to the White House and, in front of a small pool of reporters, Mr Obama carefully and accurately repeated the 35-word oath prescribed by Article 2 of the Constitution.

The problem was, no-one thought to bring a Bible and Mr Obama decided to go ahead without one.

Legally, that was fine – the Constitution makes no mention of the Bible. Politically, it may prove to be a problem.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This is strange... Why would you go to the trouble of redoing it and not use a bible? It may have just been a careless mistake, but you have to think back to all those people saying Obama is the anti-christ.. maybe it was planned (yes another proposed conspiracy.. haha). He even made a decision to go ahead without the bible.. he easily could have waited a few minutes until someone brought him one. Personally I really like Obama and I do think he has best the best interest for out nation. But this is a conspiracy site and, well, anything is possible.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-1-2009 by danman23]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by danman23

Obama is not the anti christ.
there is nothing wrong with doing it without a bible.
they redid it for tradition.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Obama is not the anti christ.
there is nothing wrong with doing it without a bible.
they redid it for tradition.

Ya, but it is also tradition to use a bible... I really don't think he is.. it just raises an eyebrow a little.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I'm glad to see this posted again. The other thread was closed by a mod with a suspected bias towards this being a big deal to many.

Star and flag.

Let's see if this one remains open and posted.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Calm the eff down people! You act as if the Oath is some Mystical Incantation.

Gimme break. Sheesh

[edit on 1/23/2009 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I assume they couldn't get the Lincoln Bible again and Obama probably did not want to use the Masonic Bible used by many other Presidents, including Bush.

I'm more worried that the ceremony wasn't videotaped. It was really unnecessary to even do it again.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
I'm glad to see this posted again. The other thread was closed by a mod with a suspected bias towards this being a big deal to many.

Star and flag.

Let's see if this one remains open and posted.

I would hope this stays open... it's legitimate news and this is the right website to be discussing such a topic.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The reason for placing ones hand on the Bible is to show just which God you will be swearing to. I think it very suspect, and in light of this being done over, it must have been very important symbolically to Obama as well.

This got HUGE coverage on the blogs, and it is a big deal to multiple millions of Christians.

As someone mentioned earlier, which god did he swear too? The god of the air, or lucifer...since that is what his hand was raised in.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Call the eff down people! You act as if the Oath is some Mystical Incantation.

Gimme break. Sheesh

Haha.. "Mystical Incantation" ... No but seriously.. To me it seems that swearing on the bible is like swearing to God. and the fact that he didn't swear on the bible is kinda as bad as crossing your fingers, in my opinion. Think about it.. he never said the words "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." while his hand was on the bible.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I assume they couldn't get the Lincoln Bible again and Obama probably did not want to use the Masonic Bible used by many other Presidents, including Bush.

I'm more worried that the ceremony wasn't videotaped. It was really unnecessary to even do it again.

Ya, but he IS the president of the United States.. he could have waited until the next day to get the bible.. Although if you are right about him not wanting to use the masonic bible.. that would be a good thing.

Why are you worried that it wasn't video taped?

[edit on 23-1-2009 by danman23]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Well it should be a matter of historical record. For them not to video record it in this day and age is irresponsible. The mainstream media seemed really irked by the fact they were not invited to the event or informed about it till after the fact. Like they asked the white house press secretary, "Where is the transparency?"

If the new administration keeps up with the gaffs the MSM will tear it apart. I assume SNL this saturday should have some fun with it.

[edit on 23/1/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by danman23
Ya, but it is also tradition to use a bible... I really don't think he is.. it just raises an eyebrow a little.

It does make it seem it could have been planned for him to do it wthout the Bible. I thought it was odd in the first place he had to redo it.

I don't agree with the idea of him being the AC though.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Ya, that is not good. I guess there were only 4 white house reporters in there.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet

Originally posted by danman23

It does make it seem it could have been planned for him to do it wthout the Bible. I thought it was odd in the first place he had to redo it.

I don't agree with the idea of him being the AC though.

Actually... I was just listening to the first swearing. John Roberts actually corrected him self but Obama still said it backwards afterwords.

Ya, that was just the first thing that popped into my head... as reason that he didn't use the Bible. I guess a better way to phrase that would be.. something like... he could be following a tradition that does not believe in the tradition God. So that's why did didn't want to swear by it. I donna...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
...and this is supposed to be bad news ?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
OMG!!! what if he's really not Christian? Well than it really won't matter, since when is it a law that you have to be Christian, or even believe in a god to become president.
You know, expecting that all the people on this thread are quietly accusing him of being a Muslim or some other religion which is not of their liking. give it a damn break already, he didn't use a bible, cry about it.

Mod Edit: Edited acronym

[edit on 1/23/09 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

On this issue, I agree that much is being made over very little, and I actually detest the guy. However, from the standpoint of a believer, I will say that there seems to be a slight inconsistancy between the excuse they're giving and what Obama has said in the past. The simple fact is, if you are a practicing Christian, ESPECIALLY if you're a member of a charismatic faith as Obama has professed to be part of, you always know where you Bible is. The fact that they were standing in their own home and nobody was able to produce a family Bible does shed some light on just how strongly his Christian convictions are.

And just to nip any questioning of this in the bud, most members of my family travel with Bibles. My parents have one in the glove box of their car, my aunt has one in her breifcase, and I, myself, have one on my desk at work. It is the most important book ever written to much of humankind, after all.

Finally, on a lighter note, I'm shocked that the good people at Gideon's haven't put one in the nightstand in the Licoln Bedroom... or didn't any of the aides think to check there first?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
What would it prove using the bible anyway.

For instance,if a person were a non-believer they could swear on the bible and have no problem with the lie-seeing as they don't believe anyway...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Just to let you guys know, it was videotaped. Saw it on tv (cnn) earlier today.

Second Line.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join