It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contradiction in the Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Sedition - The act of trying to overthrow the government by force.

What I fail to realize here is if a government becomes corrupt, such as stated in the Declaration of Independence, we are advised to abolish it and start a new one.

My question is if such a government is corrupt how are we able to abolish it with just speech? If our country becomes a police state what then?

It is stated that that government must derive their powers with the consent of the people. It is blatantly obvious that there have been times where consent was void. With that said, would that not be going against the declaration?

To me this law is just a broad one that in societies eyes can punish true criminals, but in reality could it be a law to punish true patriots? The law was passed in 1918, so it was not under our FOUNDERS watch to be implemented. Could it be this long ago that we have started losing our country?

I still believe we have life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I do not believe the government no longer (or for a long while) gains their power with our consent. Do our elected representatives truly represent the consent of the American people?

The Sedition Act of 1918 was repealed but was replaced by a later one known as the Alien Registration Act which makes planning to overthrow of the government illegal, not just in war time.

I am by no means wanting to overthrow the government (nor do I say that because the law itself), but I thought the illegal act of sedition is a strange one. While understandable, it is just one more power the founders of this country gave to the people that later got thrown into the trash by the government itself.

While many people more than likely "knew of this", I myself just realized it and thought I'd share.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

[edit on 22-1-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I started this thread [www.abovetopsecret.com...] hoping to gain more insight on it's content. check it out, it may explain the answer to your question? if it's accurate, we may have no right to do anything in this country, i mean corporation?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I read through your thread. I mean, there really is nothing to comment on besides the fact if you agree really. Even if people do not wish to post I would at the least want people to read the threads. All I like to do is produce food for thought, no matter how minuscule the filling is.

new topics

join