It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Possum problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
OK, so for the last 3 nights we have had a possum come in through our kitchen window and start pinching fruit from the fruit bowl. Now while this was rather humerous for the last two nights, I got up to shoo him away last night and found he had smashed a rather old and expensive crystal vase that belonged to my grandfather.

So the war is now on. Is there anything I can do/put out that will deter the possum (like pictures of dead animals, smelly undies....anything really
)? Or am I going to have to call the RSPCA to come out and get the bugger and relocate him (I think he may have a wife and kids up in my roof too)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Would closing the window work?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hehe yeah, that would seem obvious at first glance. We leave the window open for two reasons: one being so our cat can get in and out (btw we live in a flat on the lower level of a house and the window opens up about 2 foot off the ground), and also because it is summer down here and our flat heats up like an oven so we keep it open so we don't slowly roast overnight.

Oh and our cat refuses to help keep him out because he got beaten up by a possum a few months ago.

[edit on 22/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hmm. A 22 rifle should work with minimal property casualties. =)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

OK, a mosquito screen would resolve the climate issue but not the cat issue.

Let me ask you this, never mind my username, how attached are you to the cat?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Mozzie screen is out of the question, the window design will not accommodate it (it's an old window - hard to explain I would need to take a photo of it to show you...). Also, possums have a habit of tearing mozzie screens off to get through them when they are determined enough. They have some nasty claws on their feet.

I personally am not all that attached to the cat, it's my fiance's cat though and she adores the hell out of it.

[edit on 22/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Hmm. A 22 rifle should work with minimal property casualties. =)

I have to admit that was also my first thought
Trouble is down under we have strict gun laws and to have possesion of a gun you need to have a damned good excuse (like being a farmer for stock protection or being a feral pest controller). That and possums are just too cute to shoot....

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

OK, how attached are you to your fiancee?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Hehehe, nice one. I had a good chuckle at that

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

OK, seriously let's think this through.

You must obviously make it so that there is no reward for the possum when it enters your kitchen. So no food must be left out or anywhere the possum can get into including maybe taking the trash can out of the kitchen and closing the kitchen door. Move valuables because he's not going to be happy the first couple of times that happens.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Yep, good thinking on moving the bin to a different room, I'll do that tonight. Short of calling the RSPCA to come out and get him, I don't think there is much I can do to stop him so I may as well make it difficult for him to cause damage and remove the food so that he may get bored and give up.

I thought about perhaps leaving an apple out for him every night so that he doesn't have to come inside. But then he may expect that apple and not go looking for his own food, and if I ever move then he is stuffed.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You don't want to use positive reinforcement with animals you want to get rid of, even if it's outside. Positive reinforcement is for the animals, and people, you want to keep.

So yeah, make it not worth his while to even bother coming around your house.

Of course you could leave the apple by a neighbors house, but there's that whole circle of violence thing, bad karma really.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here is a thought. Trap kitty kitty in a room for a few nights give her a litter box, and get like 80 of those sticky traps for mice, stick them all together to make a massive sticky trap, and put a fruit on the sticky trap, and trap the hell out of possum, then poor gasoline on the possum and light it on fire.

That's what I would do

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Of course you could leave the apple by a neighbors house, but there's that whole circle of violence thing, bad karma really.

I love the way you think mate hehe, I too thought of doing that but both my neighbours are really nice and I couldn't do that to them.

OK so the plan for the weekend is to clear the kitchen out of all foodstuffs and the bin and close the door and see if he comes back after a few nights. If he doesn't then alls well, if he does then we will have to formulate a new, more devious plan.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Here is a thought. Trap kitty kitty in a room for a few nights give her a litter box, and get like 80 of those sticky traps for mice, stick them all together to make a massive sticky trap, and put a fruit on the sticky trap, and trap the hell out of possum, then poor gasoline on the possum and light it on fire.

That's what I would do

Your plan, while devious and somewhat humerous, has but one flaw: Have you ever seen a possum? They are not small hehe. Sticky mouse traps would be nothing more than a curiosity to him.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Sounds good.

Let's me/us know how that works out.

I get cranky without closure.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

For sure mate, I will update this thread either tomorrow or the following day. I can't stand not having closure either

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Yes I've seen many possums. The funniest possum I ever saw was the one that my chow had ripped into multiple pieces.

Have you ever felt how sticky those pads are? It'd work, trust me.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

I have to admit I haven't ever used sticky mouse traps, I prefer the kind that does the job of killing them for you

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 fat possum
1 cup coarse salt
1 gallon water

Stuffing:

1 onion chopped
4 tablespoon bacon drippings
1 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 egg chopped
chopped pine nuts

Directions:

Remove head and tail of possum (some people keep the head on).
Gut and clean the animal thoroughly.

Soak in cold water to which is added 1 cup salt. (about 6 hours or more)

Drain and rinse with boiling water.

Stuff the possum, close the opening, and roast in black iron pot with a little water for 1-1/2 hours at 350 degrees F.
recipes.recipeland.com...

I made some changes to the recipe, but,
Problem solved............

top topics

<<   2 >>

join