It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasteless jokes are now a crime?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

If they have rules in place that address behavior and if his behavior is an embarrassment or a liability for the city then they have the right to terminate his employment. IMHO

So if your job says that at no time, on or off the clock, you cannot practice your rights as an American or you will be fired will settle with you and you would have no problem with that?

Its one thing to be an idiot while on the clock, but when your off the clock, that is YOUR time and the city, no matter what their law or rules might be, does not apply on your free time.

Cheers!!!!

well put, RFBurns.

If Facebook has issue with what this man posted, then they can remove it.

But the Supreme Courts have been fairly clear on what 'free speech' is. Yes, the guy is an idiot. Being an idiot is not illegal, nor is it something that you can discriminate against legally.

The trifling of peoples private lives by their employers is ridiculous. I do not use any drugs, and am all too happy to submit to a drug screen...but to demand it as a condition of employment is silly and violates my privacy. It requires me to prove my innocence. That is only one such instance....and it seems these instances are growing.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

ever hear of having to show damages for those claims? obama is now a public figure,and the rules change when that happens.
where do YOU draw the line for everyone else,and who gave you the power?
you need to defend your rights,not take them to a point that you feel is acceptable.
its poeple like you that empower the state to take away rights.
how would you like it if your opinions were made illegal, no matter how stupid they are?

DID YOU HAPPEN TO NOTICE THAT THE STATUE OF JUSTICE IS BLINDFOLDED?

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Spectre0o0]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
...When Freedom of Speech becomes an excuse to be a bigoted ass - ...

Hate to tell you this buddy, but freedoms of speech DOES give you the right to be a "bigoted ass".

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

unless it is in your company policy or rulebook that when off the clock you shall represent yourself in a professional manner and in this case he was not im not saying he was right or wrong posting that i personally think it is funnier than he** but thats just me if they are going to find something to charge him with then why dont they charge everyone everywhere just google obama jokes or anything racist per se they cant do anything to them there is no since in singling one guy out but if indeed it was in the cities policy then yes he can be terminated for breaking the rules whether or not he was on or off the clock when he posted it as long as it was policy i dont think it will help either way as facebook time stamps everything im pretty sure this is something for everyone that posts on here if you have myspace or facebook double check your companies policy before posting something that may get you in trouble i know the sheriff for our department checks everyones myspace and facebook profiles periodically one of our dispatchers had some pictures of her making out with another girl at a bar she was told to delete her account and nothing further was said she deleted it and that was that but the sheriff in that case frowned on it because on her page it clearly stated she was an employee for our department and she gave the specific department name and i know that it states in our operating procedures (rules) that you must carry yourself in a professional manner on or off duty this is a case of unprofessionalism just my 2 cents

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
No matter how dumb someone is we cannot limit freedom of speech , If we do then we are going to go down a road that we cannot come back from.

This is nothing more than Government trying to keep us looking in the wrong place and to keep us from seeing how inept they are with what is going on in the U.S and the world.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
In this great country of America, EVERYONE has a right to be a STUPID JERK. That IS America! THAT is freedom! If they locked up or fired every jerk, how many prisons and unemployment lines would there be? Freedom of speech has to be absolute...or it doesn't exist at all. Heck...ATS probably wouldn't exist if the masses opinions make the minority opinions illegal, immoral or fattening (ha-ha).

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
People, people! We all know that the freedoms that our Constitution provide are only good if the exercise of those freedoms doesn't offend anyone. With that in mind, there's always someone that's offended, so the Constitution is null and void. Have fun comrades.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
The Thought Police are Coming!

About flipping time!

When Freedom of Speech becomes an excuse to be a bigoted ass - I have to step back and think about the greater good of the Nation as a whole.

Glad they opened up a position for someone who isn't a complete embarassment to the workforce and job title.

*edit to thought police myself.

[edit on 1/22/09 by GENERAL EYES]

I hope that your post was sarcasm, because unpopular speech is protected just as much as popular speech. Being a bigoted ass is his right.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Tell me were it says you have the right to say whatever you want UNLESS it may offend someone in which case you can be held liable for criminal actions. As i said before you may not agree with what he said but no one said you have the right not to be offended by speach, action, ETC.

[edit on 24/1/09 by Psyclon9]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I've been keeping up with your posts and you seem frustrated by us yanks, that we just don't understand Britain's laws when it comes to free speech. (If I'm off base here please correct me).

We do get it. We understand, thanks to your posts, where Britain stands on free speech or hate speech. The reason for the friction from the thread, I think, is that we feel Britain's speech laws are inadequate. Every day in America free speech is put to the test and under attack. It's something we're very passionate about; as the thread has reflected, our blood gets boiling when we're told we can't say something.

Britain's speech laws are so problematic that, right now and for some time, your nation has been in a crisis. When tested, the laws you seem to defend, are unraveling your country because they can be used by hate mongers to silence innocent citizens. I'll give two quick examples.

First there is the case of the blogger Lionheart from Luton. You may know his story but, briefly put, there is a warrant for his arrest because authorities accuse him of stirring up racial hatred in his blog. Lionheart claims that he used his blog to warn his friends/users about the activities of the local Pakistani Muslim community. You may view his blog here and judge for yourself: lionheartuk.blogspot.com...

Lastly, I'll refer you you to this article:

www.rightsidenews.com...

It's about two American preachers who were told by a Muslim community support police officer (who?!) in Birmingham that attempting to convert Muslims to Christianity is a hate crime. Apparently in the UK, free speech becomes hate speech in a "no-go" muslim neighborhood. I cannot underestimate the harm this does to a nation.

These two examples are only drops in the bucket. I chose muslim issues because Islam clearly represents the biggest test for every right that Britons enjoy. Unfortunately, it seems, the Home Office sees your right to speech expendable as long as it keeps moslems from being violent.

My point: You seemed frustrated at the American view of free speech and our insistence that it remain as free as possible: the good, the bad, the ugly. I tried to show that the UK's speech laws, the laws to seem to defend, sound very reasonable but when tested with the muslim issue, are in fact destructive to justice.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkcaw

I've been keeping up with your posts and you seem frustrated by us yanks, that we just don't understand Britain's laws when it comes to free speech. (If I'm off base here please correct me).

Not frustrated with "yanks"..i prefer Americans but hey...
Frustrated with a lack of reason...
If i could actually be bothered, i would list examples of the hypocrisy that you call free speech...
As it is....this thread is over for me.

We do get it. We understand, thanks to your posts, where Britain stands on free speech or hate speech. The reason for the friction from the thread, I think, is that we feel Britain's speech laws are inadequate.

That's fair enough and a lot more reasonable than some of the responses I've had.
Thank you.

My point: You seemed frustrated at the American view of free speech and our insistence that it remain as free as possible: the good, the bad, the ugly. I tried to show that the UK's speech laws, the laws to seem to defend, sound very reasonable but when tested with the muslim issue, are in fact destructive to justice.

I'm not frustrated at the American view of free speech, I just don't agree with it.
I was frustrated at the ridiculous responses i was getting and the fact that nobody actually had a point.
now you have addressed me...that has changed.

Again, thank you

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Well...I must give you credit. You keep fighting no matter what. My hat is off to you sir.

Now if you can just get that pesky Bill of Rights thing overturned, the world will see the light! : )

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Several of you have mentioned his job and how his job might effect his ability to speak his mind, especially about racist views.

As promised earlier, I started a new thread about a very similiar situation dealing with a US Naval officer. This officer was relieved of commend pending an investigation because he used his rights to allegedly espouse racial hatred and possibly treason. Here is the link:

Lt. Commander Accused of Racial Speech

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Well...I must give you credit. You keep fighting no matter what. My hat is off to you sir.

Thank you very much.
I will defend my cause and debate/argue my point as long as we can try and be civil... i said things in the heat of the moment and i apologize for that.
It's a little crazy when about 5-6 people all want to argue...it becomes confusing and tiresome.

Now if you can just get that pesky Bill of Rights thing overturned, the world will see the light! : )

Wouldn't be the first thing like that I'd done... believe me

If you hook me up with some email addy's / phone numbers... I'll give it a go...what's to lose?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I will defend my cause and debate/argue my point as long as we can try and be civil... i said things in the heat of the moment and i apologize for that.

Uhhh....yes...you are busy excercising your right of FREE SPEECH. Keep in mind if free speech comes to an end it will be the UNPOPULAR opinions that are banned by the masses. Not whether the opinions/thoughts are right or not.

Here for instance, your statements appear to be outnumbered by 10 to one. So in your perfect world, where ideas/thoughts/words can be censored you would likely be the first victim of it.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Spectre0o0

You're defending the right to free speech in all it's forms, demanding that no one suffer for their free expression...and yet you continue to berate me for my PERSONAL (not polictical) opinion on the issue. I find your double standards amusing.

We're in the same boat, just paddling in two different directions.

That being said, and all due respects to Miss Sonya and her thread - I'm bowing out of this discussion because aside from my personal opinion, I don't really care to squibble on matters of this nature.

However, if you still have a personal beef with me - my U2U is always open.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Uhhh....yes...you are busy excercising your right of FREE SPEECH. Keep in mind if free speech comes to an end it will be the UNPOPULAR opinions that are banned by the masses. Not whether the opinions/thoughts are right or not.

Here for instance, your statements appear to be outnumbered by 10 to one. So in your perfect world, where ideas/thoughts/words can be censored you would likely be the first victim of it.

I am only against bigoted speech... not any and all speech.
Freedom of speech should not equate to harassment and abuse.
I am not calling for an end to free speech.... not at all, i just think that the right to attack someone for their difference is not fair...

Anyway... i don't see the point in going over this again and again.

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I don't think you understand: Even if YOU see someone's opinion as bigoted or antagonistic in nature, it's not right for your opinion to be legislated and forced on everyone else. Free speech includes ALL speech, even if it's the most unpopular opinion.

Once you start making the slightest exception in what people have the freedom to say, it can snowball into full on restrictions in all areas of free speech that a person may have.

You know all those people who tried to sue McDonald's for making them fat? The same type of reality twisting people would then be able to start pushing for less and less free speech. They're already trying to make everyone be "politically correct", which is ridiculous in it's own right.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Well maybe if the guy wasn't an ass he wouldn't have to worry about this. He had it coming. If you say crap there should be consequences. I couldn't care less if they lock him away for life. Less genetic inbreeds on the streets.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by NativeAmerican]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NativeAmerican
Well maybe if the guy wasn't an ass he wouldn't have to worry about this. He had it coming. If you say crap there should be consequences. I couldn't care less if they lock him away for life. Less genetic inbreeds on the streets.

Inbreeds huh? Sort of like making fun of retarded "Jewish" doctors! Glass houses my dear!

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Sonya610]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join