It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bones and Cactus on Mars? Today's images...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Bones on Mars?
This appears to be scattered bones exposed by martian winds. Very similar to what you would see in the open deserts here on earth.

Cactus on Mars? This seems to be some sort of strange martian cactus or vegetation jutting up from the rolling desert dunes of Mars.

Mod Note: Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Thu Jan 22 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hi, can you provide links to the sources where you found the different images?

Thanks in advance for your help.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yes we need the original source images. The "bones" image is way too small to make any conclusions.

As to the "cactus" image, those could be "seeps" of moisture from the underground ice water layers.

We need original source links, the ancillary data and date/time/season of when the images were taken.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
IMAGES FOUND HERE...
MARS HIRISE

heres the info:

The "bones" image:
PSP_010749_1325_RED.NOMAP.JP2
X: 1278
Y: 23158

The "Cactus" image:
PSP_010638_1890_RED.NOMAP.JP2
X: 6018
Y: 3108

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the links!

I find this to be interesting, from the "cactus" strip.

Lots of squggly dunes in that one!!

Great finds!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

Nothing useful to say, just wanted to state that super70's avatar is fantastic, HAHA!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Thanks for the links!

I find this to be interesting, from the "cactus" strip.

Lots of squggly dunes in that one!!

Great finds!!

Cheers!!!!

Yes I saw that one as well, I can't explain what would make those grooves into the dunes. Strange.

Oh and thanks sugarcube!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Regarding the martian "cactus and vegetation" image, I think they show the strange dark streaks that can be seen in many Mars images. Some scientists actually think they may be a sign that there is oil on the planet. The dark streaks might be oil seeps or mixtures of water and oil emerging to the surface:

On the 6th Workshop of the European Astrobiology Network Association that took place in Lyon it was presented a topic marking the difference by not trying to “Follow the Water". "Search for oil reservoirs on Mars" was the result of a deep study on the history of Mars, focused on the search for oil on the Red Planet, having into account that oil might be a reserve of organic material for potential life forms.

The topic was presented by the Portuguese Astrobiology Working Group.

It was on the behalf of the PAG that Susana Direito from the Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, kindly answered some spacEurope questions.

- Your research derives from a premise inverse to the one adopted on Earth...it deals with searching oil to find life and no to dizimate it...

- Yes, effectively. It is my oppinion that we must invest more and more on alternatives to the use of oil as fuel.
The search for oil on Mars must be done, exclusively, on a astrobiological and scientific point of view.

- What might the consequences be, for a future exploration of Mars, if studies provide proofs of the existence of oil reservoirs?

- If such happens then the key word will be “caution”. As in other space missions “caution is fundamental, because there will always be a contamination problem.
Every mission being planned will need to be ver well thought.

- Any promising results so far? Are there specific locations as serious candidates?

- It is a very promising hypothesis because a deep study of the planet was undertaken.
The candidate locations are the areas where we can find dark streaks and dark features.
The choice of one of them as a target for a potential mission depends on the technical means available and the terrain caractheristiques.

- You have made reference to the use of MOC and MGS images in your study, could you be more specific and tell us which?

- One example is the following image...

- The dark features you made reference to are not comparable to dune fields such as El Dorado...how is the distinction made?

- The dark slope streaks to which I make reference are as the one in the image example, differencing itself from the surrounding terrain due to its darker tone and appearing like liquid flows.

spaceurope.blogspot.com...

Zorgon also has a thread about these dark streaks/shadows:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

Just a tidbit, the zigzag photo is a PSP [Paint Shop Pro] file which means someone likely photoshopped it. It COULD have been opened in Paint Shop for enhancement, just thought it'd throw it out there.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Although the cactus image looks remarkably like a cactus back here on Earth I don't think its a standing object, there isn't any shadows projected to the southwest of said "cactus". Just as interesting would be the oil hypothesis, as I think that would mean there was organic material on the planet at one time.

Again, props to the TronGuy Avatar.

Peace

[edit on 22-1-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

[edit on 22-1-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Compelling images, more so the vegitation than the 'bones.'

It certainly looks, to me, like some form of vegitation.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well first off he pic of the bones

The picture of the cactus is cool

The Avatar picture is real in my opinion

I liked tron way cool

[edit on 22-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quarantine
reply to post by super70

Just a tidbit, the zigzag photo is a PSP [Paint Shop Pro] file which means someone likely photoshopped it. It COULD have been opened in Paint Shop for enhancement, just thought it'd throw it out there.

FYI
The PSP files are not paint shop pro files, they are JP2 files.
They are viewable with the IAS viewer 3.1.2, available free at
Mars HiRise

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My theory on the "Cactus" image is that the black streaks are possibly the shadows of the "Cactus" in question. This is an aerial photograph, the shadows are slanted, the actual object would be vertical. The image below demonstrates my point, that if indeed this were an "oil flow", would not the oil flow in the direction of the sand ripples, instead of diagonally across them?

Mod Note: Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

Haven't you the photos mixed up?

The "cactus" photo is photo PSP_010749_1325 and the "bones" photo is PSP_010638_1890.

And no, I don't think those are cactus.
1246 pixels to the right (623 metres), on the top of a bigger dune, we can see several of those shapes, and they look more like something that flowed down the dune's side.

(click for full size)

Also, the bones look less like bones when we see the whole area.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Quarantine

If you are talking about the three letters on the start of name of the images, they mean Primary Science Phase.

The previous phases were Aerobreaking (AEB) and Transition (TRA).

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

Luckly it wasn't the "skull and bones" on Mars.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

The only problem with that theory is that the supposed shadows do not follow the direction of the light, as you can see by looking at the shadows of the dunes.

Also, those "shadows" do not look like shadows, they do not have the flowing looks of real shadows.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So...whats the going theory on the zigzag dunes in the close-up image I linked to a few posts up?

Any takers???

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Give your head a chance to do the "in/out flip" and those dunes appear to be gullies.

The fluid or gas that carved the channel is an enigma. Older channels are filled in and ripples are visible there.

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

[edit on 1/23/2009 by Phage]

new topics

top topics

join