It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says no lobbyists - then appoints one!

page: 1.
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Well, well. What are we to believe? Obama said no lobbyists will be appointed to work in the same area that they lobbied in.

So what's the deal with William Lynn?

Obama is a liar and practices the politics of convenience.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama, who campaigned on lessening lobbyist influence in government, has chosen a defense expert who is currently a vice president and lobbyist for one of the country's biggest defense contractors to be his deputy secretary of defense.

Obama's transition office announced that William Lynn, an undersecretary of defense in President Bill Clinton's second term, has been nominated as Defense Secretary Robert Gates' deputy.

Lynn is currently a senior vice president at Raytheon, which has billions of dollars in Defense Department contracts and is the maker of the Army's Patriot Missile system and the Tomahawk missile used by the Navy. The company is also developing a global positioning satellite communication system with the Air Force.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Ya thats an odd turn of events. But this selection has to be confirmed before it becomes final. There may be those within the Obama camp that might remind Obama about his stance on lobbyists in the new admin.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Obama is a liar...

All politicians are liars. It might as well be one of the prerequisites of BEING a politician. You think McCain wasn't a liar? That Ron Paul wasn't a liar? Was George Bush a liar? Clinton?

Politicians lie, just like lawyers.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

No, they won't remind him. They will attempt to defend him.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The only thing we can hope is that he does more positive things than negative. Honest, sincere people never end up high in the political system.

Time to change that system

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

And that makes it OK? That makes it the right thing to do? That means we should ignore it?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
another example of Obama's morals??

Or is it just that what WE must follow, HE doesn't have to?

flip-flop yet again

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

No, that doesn't make it ok. No, that doesn't mean that we should ignore it. However, I think you're kind of stating the obvious when you say he's a liar. Any person that was in the running was a liar. We would have ended up with a liar no matter what.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

No, they won't remind him. They will attempt to defend him.

This is when the people who elected Obama should speak out, and be the ones who remind him. I think thats a good idea dont you?

Maybe on that Change.gov website people can "watchdog" Obama's actions, such as this one, and make their opinions known.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Trying to keep everyone happy and OK with you is a job no one can truly accomplish, apparently. One thing can make several people happy, while it may make another group upset.

in short:
Nobody wins. Especially Obama.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
First of all let me make crystal clear, I hold no agreement with the choice of Obama as POTUS...the choice of his position was made WELL before the election, and not by the public at large.

In reference to his choice, tho, it is a possibility that he felt this man was the most qualified for the position he was chosen for, regardless of his past history...only Obama and his cronies know the reason for the choice.

America wanted change....well, they are going to get it, and then some. I agree...January 20th 2009 was the day the "chaos plan" was put into effect...it's taken a good 200years to come to fruition....and now....badda bing, badda boom! The fearless leader has arrived...

Natasha and Boris had one (Rocky the flying squirrel)soooo, why not us....it's all one big cartoon. (if you get my drift)

~Holly

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Riiiight...

Well the time of election promises are over... and the "do what I feel is right" time begins.

Really.. did you expect any different from our POTUS?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

This is when the people who elected Obama should speak out, and be the ones who remind him. I think thats a good idea dont you?

I think it is very reasonable and a great idea. People should make him stick to his words. Of course, being a politician that may be easier said than done because they like to play with their words.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I suggest posting something on that change.gov website of his...I mean why not put the complaint where it really would have an effect?

Here is a good example of the harvest is plentiful but the gatherers are few. Get a group together willing to post a petition, alot like that UFO disclosure petition, and put it on that change.gov website.

If its done this early in Obama's presidency, it is more likely to have an effect than to just sit there and moan about it and not try to act on it.

Let your voice be heard...in the right place.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Omg I have just stumbled into a thread that isnt an Obama love fest! I agree with you Lord Obama is liar. I expect any minute now the loyal obamanites will come to his defense.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wethesheeple

Hey, I'm sick to death of Obamania just as much as you are. But you and I will just have to live through it. A liar would have come in to office no matter what.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
Trying to keep everyone happy and OK with you is a job no one can truly accomplish, apparently. One thing can make several people happy, while it may make another group upset.

in short:
Nobody wins. Especially Obama.

The only 'happy' guy here is William Lynn.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The way I understood it, the rule was that no one who left the administration during President Obama's tenure would be allowed to lobby the government in relation to their former position. That is a far cry from nominating an individual to work in the Defense Department who is obviously qualified for the position for which he is being considered.

Once again, it appears that President Obama isn't the one lying here. Nice try with the spin, though.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
What the executive order meant was that "lobbying will now be conducted inside closets behind closed doors", only he didn't word it that way, probably for the sake of punctuation.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

What an insightful choice!

Lobbyists; I don't see any lobbyists. Now, he's not one anymore is he? He works for BHO.

Why are we being so picky? This is a new era of enlightenment, please let it envelop and enfold you.

Take comfort in the promise of "Change." Believe that there is "Hope."

We should not worry so about "pledges" or "promises."

No, think not of the rhetoric of the campaign, but of what has yet to come for those who truly believe!

Close your eyes, listen, dream.

Aren't you happy now?

See, this is a "good" thing.

Please note: anyone disagreeing(?) with the foregoing will be subject to personal attack, questioning of motivation, and challenged for your blatant racial and fascist bias.

Think before you speak. Is it still worth it anymore, even on ATS, to challenge complacency, question authority, speak your mind?

Do so only at your own peril. Consider yourself warned and "On Notice."

You are being watched. Criticism will not be tolerated.

jw

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join