It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Knight, Gran Torino snubbed by Oscars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The Acadamy Award Nominees came out today:

www.usatoday.com...

It does seem The Dark Knight and Clint Eastwood were snubbed in favor of the usual type of nominee. I guess the Oscars are looking at the lowest viewership ever as most people have not seen the nominees (except Button).

Count me in as doing something else other than watching the Oscars on Feb 22.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if Eastwood's lack of nominations was supposed to inspire the opposite sentiment. I mean, the guy is an Oscar powerhouse. It's not right though and he deserves all the accolades and awards he gets. Hands down one of the finest actor/directors of all-time.

The lack of noms for The Dark Knight is even more surprising. I'm not sure the movie itself deserves it, but Heath Ledger certainly does. A chilling performance that I hope wasn't snubbed for being a comic book role. But I wouldn't be surprised either.

Honestly though, I lost respect for the Academy Awards when Titanic beat out Boogie Nights or maybe it was when Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
me too, will not be watching the oscars.
how can anyone ignore one of the best films in the last 30 years???
gran torino is a tour de force, an american morality play with every
issue for several generations to consider.
clint eastwood is a national treasure for sure and this performance deserved the best actor oscar.
sad commentary on the state of hollywood.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The Oscars, like all award shows, are irrelevant. When they refuse to acknowledge deserving performances it's just a reminder of how little they actually mean.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

The DK was a good movie, but probably the most overhyped and overrated movie to come out in a long time.

Heath prob does deserve some recognition though..

The movie is a 9 on the IMDB.....waaaaayyy too high.

A 7-7.5 would be more realistic.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Yep, I've seen like 3 of those movies (including The Dark Knight!)....
I'll watch the red carpet while doing something else, but I'm not going to watch a ceremony honoring a bunch I've films I've had no interest to see.

Benjamin Button is about the only one in there I'd actually like to see sometime... :shk:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

I lost respect for the Oscars when "Forrest Gump" beat out "Pulp Fiction" for best film. I hoped it would redeem itself when "Fargo" was nominated, but "Shakespeare in Love" won.

I guess it is rare if a money making movie gets to win. "The Return of the King" is a rarity indeed sweeping all of its awards.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Eh, I didn't like Gran Torino so much. I loved The Dark Knight though and I think it's definitely not getting the respect it deserves. I am displeased with how much attention The Changeling is getting though. I mean, it was an ok movie but I really don't agree with "best art direction" it shouldn't even have been nominated.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I would like to see "Slumdog Millionaire". That one does look interesting, but Brad Pitt's movie isn't doing as well at the box office, so it will win.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I agree...I heard it was ok and I'm going to watch the torrent my uncle gave me because there was no way I am going to pay for it.

Oscar rule of thumb: A movie that makes no sense, BUT has a man chasing a white scarf down a beach at sunset while a glass of orange juice sits in the foreground with beads of condensation slipping down it's surface is always a MUCH better movie regardless of plot or box office revenue.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Brad Pitt's movie cost $150 million (plus marketing and distribution costs), so they want to try to break even. It would need $300 million worldwide to do that, and an Oscar win would help it. Warner Brothers and Paramount both have money in it, and they would like to make it back.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Snubbed because The Dark Knight was just not that good of a movie. Way over-hyped and did not deliver the goods.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Slumdog millionare was a great movie and deserves the accolades it has recieved. Changeling was another movie directed by Clint Eastwood for people who don't know.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

I am also hearing from many people who are calling "Benjamin Button" a snooze fest. "The Dark Knight" was well reviewed, and many expected a lot of the younger Hollywood set to vote it in. Just like in real life, the younger members do not vote, and Hollywood chose the usual "safe" (for Hollywood) choices.

I guess it is a matter of opinion most of the time, as I did not really care for "Forrest Gump", a movie many were stating was the best movie ever made.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I saw Gran Torino last night - amazing movie! It figures that the politically correct academy voters would not give a nod to a great film when it deals with real reality instead of the whining liberal cause of the day. Soon the award will be totally irrelevant...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Benjamin Button is a snoozefest. If I'm not mistaken it's even longer than Dark Knight so that makes it worse in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

I'm glad at least someone agrees that the dark knight wasn't all that.
Wasn't terrible...but was no better than average-good.
So overrated....

[edit on 25/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Dark Knight was a good flick, but take away Heath Ledger, and then you've basically got a movie of the same caliber as Batman Begins. It was Heath's performance that really made it a memorable movie (and was likely responsible for the box office response). At least HE's still in the running.... I think there's only been like one posthumous Oscar before...maybe a couple?

I may sound sappy, but I still think Titanic was probably the best crafted movie made yet... excellent script, excellent music (and I don't mean the Celine Dion song), excellent acting and casting, and it really got you emotionally involved. Excellent sets, costumes, and just the plain "feel" of it, really took you back in time. I hadn't been so transported away since the first time I saw Star Wars.....

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Peter Finch won for Best Actor in a Leading Role for "Network" posthumously, the only one so far. Heath Ledger would be second if he wins.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I can sum up Grand Torino for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Clint Eastwood fighting with minorities who step on his lawn.

There you go.

Although it sounds like a typical day in Pennsylvania kind of flick, I'd still see it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join