It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs executive order to close Guantanamo Bay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Obama signs executive order to close Guantanamo Bay

www.cnn.com

President Barack Obama issued four executive orders Thursday to demonstrate a clean break from the Bush administration on the war on terror, including one requiring that the U.S. military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay be closed within a year.

A second executive order formally bans torture by requiring that the Army field manual be used as the guide for terror interrogations. The order essentially ends the Bush administration's CIA program of enhanced interrogation methods.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
As an American I can't say I disagree with Barack's decision, however in my opinion it seems this is more of a statement to prove "change". Guantanamo has been so publicized by the media as a glorified torture facility that the majority of people aren't considering the fact that we maintain and operate facilities that would make Gitmo seem like a trip to Disneyland.

Bush, the man of fascism and torture who ran a detention facility in Cuba. This is what people see. I quite possibly may be wrong, but I feel like this is just another stunt to prove that Mr. Obama and all his charisma is trying to "fix" everything Americans hated about Bush, putting us in a false state of comfort so we'll be nice and submissive when it all hits the fan.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Quarantine]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
On Going Discussion can be found here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add your opinion to the existing thread.
Closed.

join