It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Country Girl Can Survive

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by photobug

Personally, I am a Kentucky girl!
Before the jokes start, I am not inbred.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Anyway, I think the hardest thing for me - if the SHTF will be the constant *on the move*.

One way around the constant moving is the concept of out of sight,
out of mind.

If you get far enough outside the city in a VERY remote area with
poor roads, you will most likely see only the locals moving around.

If you are off the beaten path on rough terrain and have a underground
home that is more concealed than the Mike Oehler method, then no
one will even know you are there.

Grow lots of sticker vines around your perimeter and it is a natural
deterrent that ppl will not think was intentional.

I have been in forest where the sticker vines were so thick it took
hours to hack a path thru them.

If it looks natural, ppl will take the path of least resistance unless
they see smoke from a fire, etc etc.

Some of the places I have in mind are mostly like this.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck to you all !

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Good point about the sticker vines!
Last fall I was hiking and came to a steep bluff, using my tools, I pulled myself up to the top threw my leg over and pulled myself to my feet, only to find them tangled in sticker vines. In an attempt to free my feet, I fell on my face and got and nice scratch to the cornea! Not a pleasant walk home with one eye! They would make for great cover!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Fishing is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. If you have an IQ higher than a fish, you can catch one. LOL.

This made me think of a story my grandfather told me about the
Great Depression.

Do not do these unless you are in danger of starving, it is HIGHLY illegal.

During the depression ppl were talking about how bad it was and they
didn't have any food, and my grandfather said much the same thing
whitewave has said and they got mad at him.

So he went down to the river with a Hoop Net, and a crank telephone
and came back with a truck load of fish and handed them out.

The hoop net is pretty straight forward, the crank telephone he used
in other parts of the river to shock the fish and scoop them in his canoe.

It is hard to come by a crank telephone these days, but you can
get a electrical insulation tester called a megger, it works much
the same way.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's how I originally learned to hunt and fish. Reading the rules disallowing certain tricks in hunting and fishing all work pretty well. Most are not particularly sportsmanlike but it's not called SURVIVAL for nothing.

Baiting an area with apples or setting out salt licks doesn't seem too unsportsmanlike, imho, although it is disallowed.

As far as I'm concerned, hunting, fishing, shelter and firemaking (wilderness skills) are not nearly as important as avoiding your fellow man. Man is the biggest threat around--city or country.

If you're ever in the unfortunate position of having to fire off a couple of rounds to defend yourself, you've just alerted all the other predators to your location. Time to move on, if you're smart.

If I knew for certain I would be left alone I know I could survive. It's knowing for certain that I WON'T be left alone that makes survival a difficult task.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

"If I knew for certain I would be left alone I know I could survive. It's knowing for certain that I WON'T be left alone that makes survival a difficult task."

Wise words indeed, history agrees with your assessment and it is sad.

Like they say over on survival blog, a small group of good ppl
can really make a difference and going it alone does not make
for good odds.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Me too! Right now, in the city.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I'm a gal and also learned alot of survival skills as a farm gal growing up in rural midwestern America. My mom taught me the finer arts of canning, freezing, drying and other methods of food preservation as well as food preparation. I can cook over an open fire as well as the more conventional methods.
My dad taught me outdoors type stuff- firearms, animal husbandry, etc....as well as hunting and fishing, and how to clean whatever I shot or caught. As a young adult I went on to learn martial arts, female safety courses-- again, martial arts classes, with emphasis on rape and attack prevention. Weapons training was included in those classes.
Other survival skills I've picked up in a more practical way- by doing. I've been a hiker and backpacker since I was about 8 years old, and really enjoy doing it. It not only keeps me in shape, but it keeps me in touch with others of a like mind, and up to date on gear.
Great thread by the way-- one for we ladies!!

Soul Sista

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Good to hear! I'm glad to know that in the event that TSHTF not all our women will be worried about the shoes they lost and worry if we can rebuild malls!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

It is comforting to think that so many of us ladies have skills that we need in order to survive! But don't worry men, we will always need you around too!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I like the country girls.
Their accents drive me up the wall!
Any time I hear a southern girl say "this here" and "gun" in the same sentence I melt!

Glad we have them sit-x girls on this here forum.
Sho my gran pappy be quite pleased yes sah!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by photobug
One thing I know for sure is that I need to find me one of these country girls. Especially one with one of those deep south accents. Where do you gals hang out?

Go to the flea market any weekend. Seriously.

Met a girl there once who thought McDonald's and a trip to the dump to shoot rats, or parking @ the helicopter field to watch Apache gunships was the height of entertainment in courting. She was sh*t hot too and outfished me everytime we went. Her dad got transferred and we lost touch. I ended up charmed by a city girl, 15 years later she still says if I don't remove the shotgun from the bedroom, she is packing her stuff. Then she gets really mad when I start helping.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Its good to know that are people out there that actually like we ladies that have a southern drawl! I have family that live up north, and they like to make fun of us. I think that there are also folks that assume that if you have a thick accent, that you are unintellegent! I can assure ya'll that that is not the case!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
Its good to know that are people out there that actually like we ladies that have a southern drawl! I have family that live up north, and they like to make fun of us. I think that there are also folks that assume that if you have a thick accent, that you are unintellegent! I can assure ya'll that that is not the case!

As A Brit I positively LOVE that girl Kally off CSI Florida, what a wonderful dialect that southern gal has.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I wanted to link this thread about the many uses of dandelion to this thread just in case it was overlooked. In SHTF situations, it could save your life. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, flint knapping is a useful skill to have!!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Well done ladies! Jr. would be proud.

I’m I the only one who thinks an ATS singles forum might be a good idea?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join