It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Country Girl Can Survive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Having grown up fishing and living with hunters I can tell you proudly that I can skin a buck and run a trot line!
Shoot, I could kill, skin and gut a deer, rabbit, whatever walks in front of me should the need arise.
There are lots of plants and mushrooms that grow in the wild that are edible and can be used for medicinal purposes. But, you have to be very very careful with the mushrooms!
Can you spot ginseng in the wild? There are also plants that can aide you in hygiene. Did you know that you can peel and crush up yucca roots and use as soap and shampoo? Yes, it lathers!
I hope that there are a lot of women out there that have the capability to be self sufficient should the SHTF. I am proud to say that I could!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
*High Five*!
My Grandfather taught me how to be a *real* Lady (In his opinion)...
Ride, shoot (gun and bow), hunt, fish, farm, self defense and when it’s all done get the dirt out from under my nails and waltz when the music started.

He also taught me how to *watch* my surroundings, have respect for them and let the place I was in tell me what I needed to know, instead of just taking and plundering. (For example the mushrooms with little mice nibbles were probably ok to eat - though we’d still check them out in a handbook, etc).

Anyway, I think the hardest thing for me - if the SHTF will be the constant *on the move*.
I don’t think it’s realistic to think we’ll have the luxury of a home and a bed to call our own each night - at least at the beginning - and that will be tough.

But we’ll survive like we always have and come out shining!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I wish I had those skills, when I was young I was not interested in those things, even though I too was a country girl!

I want to learn how to hunt and survival skills, as a woman what do you think is the best way to achieve those goals? I mean really, how DO you learn how to fish and hunt if you have never done it before? Is it realistic I can even learn?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You certainly can learn to hunt an fish! Try contacting some sporting goods stores in your area, a lot of times they will have classes, you could also check with your local wildlife management office and see if they offer any courses. Check on line for classes in your area, I bet you will find some things there. Good luck!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Believe it or not call your local Fire Department.
I’ve never known a F.D that didn’t have active members in local Fish and Game Clubs, know local Firearms Instructors etc.

You can read up all you want - (and that's all good) but, at some point you're going to have to do the *hands on*. In other words you're going to get dirty and cold and bloody and wear boy clothes girlfriend!
Oh wait! This is 2009!
Now there are awesome Hunting and Fishing clothes for us girls too!

Honestly, hunting, fishing, shooting really instills a wallop of self confidence, gives great satisfaction along with taking the edge off the *What if the SHTF* fear.
I hope you have a GREAT time!

peace!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Learning is fun and easy, if you have a good teacher,and one who has even the least bit of experience, is a good teacher. And it is never to late to stsrt learning. In the matters of nature, surviving in it, blending in, we can not achieve total knowledge.

Go to your local sporting goods store/ gun shop. I am sure hunters and anglers visit these places. Just about anyone you meet inside will be more than happy to discuss these sports with you. Many are looking for someone to "partner" with in order to make it into the wilds... to hunt, fish hike, target practice, etc.

As in all aspects of life, though, proceed with caution in dealings with others. The sportsperson is, after all, only human.

Good luck, and happy fishin'

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You go girl

I can kill, pluck and butcher a chicken or any kind of bird. I can throw a cast net, I can gut and clean fish. I know my plants, edible and medicinal. I can cut, sew, mend, crochet, knit, bead, weave, and do a variety of handicrafts from making brooms to pickling food..

I didn't grow up in the country, but I had lots of exposure and many great people in my life who knew the wisdom of teaching to others. I can also operate a few different firearms, however I'd prefer if I never have to do those things. Just because I know how to do the gross stuff, doesn't mean I like to practice doing it. I'll use those skills only when the need arises, knowing I'd be lacking proficiency and expertise but when it comes to survival I feel prepared, though I feel there is always a need to learn something new.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
OMG where is my country girl? its not that hard to survive if you have to. get a gun and some bullets and go sit in the woods until you see movement. then start blasting. just kidding we shouldnt take the American approach. Maybe we should just pay attention.

MessOnTHeFED!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ladies, go out there and learn those skills. If you don't have a man around to teach you, then find a book, read it, and practice until you have the skills down pat. If you get a little queasy skinning your first rabbit, or your first squeirl, don't let it get to you. Everyone has to start somewhere. I used to raise rabbits. It's kind of tough when you have to slaughter something you've raised from a baby, but you learn.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
A city girl can survive too. I was born and raised in the city (although OKC was considered "country" by big city standards). I've been moving further and further out to the rural areas.

Growing up hungry most of the time was a good teacher. I'd catch things (possum, racoons, etc.), bring them home and ask grandma if they were edible. She'd show me once how to cook it and I'd be on my own.

Fishing is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. If you have an IQ higher than a fish, you can catch one. LOL.

Wander out to a local gun range sometime and everyone there will be willing to show you how to shoot. You can even rent the guns if you don't have one.

My day job is as a healthcare worker so I naturally drifted into the realm of alternative medicine and feel pretty confident with using herbs and medicinal plants.

There are oodles of other skills necessary to survive and you never know what tidbit of knowledge will keep you alive.

If a guy can learn the skills, so can a girl. The only difference I see is that girls don't usually have as much opportunity to be in the environments for learning that guys do and that obstacle is easily overcome.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Let me state that I never meant to imply that a city girl couldn't survive. There I feel better!

I agree that there are many skills needed for survival and my downfall would probably be a fear of the dark. Its a scary feeling being in the woods at night. I don't mind it in my own yard, but that is sooo not the same. Critters moving, sticks breaking, weird screeches and howls...its not for the faint hearted!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Glad to see the ladies of ATS chiming in on this thread.

Every woman I have ever known who wanted to get to know the outdoors, I suggested looking into Becoming an Outdoors Woman (BOW) class.

Everyone who has taken part has given me positive feedback from the experience.

Link to them can be found here.

Can be found in most if not all US states as well as Canadian provinces and the classes are tailored for your area in some cases.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Kudo's to you, you're more of a man than me
!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mortje

Personally speaking, outside of my being able to take care of myself, there ain't nothing manly about me! I can take off the camo and put on a dress and some heels and be just as sexy as I want to be!

Reminds me of an old commercial song:
I can bring home the bacon
fry it up in a pan
and never ever let you
forget your a man
cause I'm a woman....

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

A flashlight can be a girl's best friend, if it is the darkness that gets to you.
Nice thing about it is you can turn it on when you become anxious. Turn it off, when comfortable. We all have our fears, and showing them is no shame.

I have a slight(/) fear of those things that go bump in the dark, myself. Try being underground in a mine, alone and hear a rock fall nearby.. enough to raise hackles on the manliest, I guarantee it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Dont worry, didn't mean it like that. I have a thing for 'manly' women who actually look stunningly feminine. And no, that's not a pickup line

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Wander out to a local gun range sometime and everyone there will be willing to show you how to shoot.

As a guy who frequents the gun range, I will vouch for that.

I was out two weeks ago and there was a young couple with thier fingers in thier ears watching us practice. I sat down, gave them some earplugs, and talked with them a little bit. They were just starting to think about "What if" and were looking at getting a couple of rifles just in case SHTF. Niether of them had any experiance whatsoever with firearms. I grilled firearm saftey into them for a good 45 minutes and handed them each a rifle. The female picked up how to use the weapon much faster than the male. I was still teaching him how to use iron sights while she was hitting the paper every time at 25yrds. By the end of the day we all had huge smiles on our faces, they walked away with some firearms and survival knowlege (gave them a basic BOB list), and I walked away glad that I could help someone else get started on preparing.

Everyone walked away a winner!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
MY kind of women!!

I've been teaching my granddaughter all of the old ways she can absorb. She's had her own set of throwing knives since she was six, can shoot a bow, use a quarterstaff, make and use a bolo, and I wouldn't recommend challenging her with any sort of edge weapon: you'll likely lose, and if you irritate her in the process, lose painfully. I'd advise against arguing with her, too, unless your facts are solid and your conclusions valid, or you'll lose even more painfully: she's very smart and very tough-minded.

She knows how to read a trail, how not to get lost even in strange territory, and how to be invisible. I haven't had the opportunity to take her hunting yet, but we hike frequently; she knows how to rockclimb and can read the land pretty well.

Yet she' a lady and a "girlie" girl when it comes to clothes, makeup, etc.

Among my people we've always thought the best way to keep our women and children safe was/is to make them as strong, as knowledgeable, as self-sufficient as possible, and able to fight like an enraged bear at need. It has the side bennie of making spousal abuse pretty unheard of where the old ways are followed.

I grew up among women who were skilled, tough, and very capable: personally, I like 'em that way.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mortje

I know that you didn't, I have been looking for an excuse to use that song forever!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
One thing I know for sure is that I need to find me one of these country girls. Especially one with one of those deep south accents. Where do you gals hang out?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join