It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Signs Executive Orders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
In a news conference just now, President Obama signs executive order that effectively insures anyone held or interrogated by the us will ahve to abide by the army field manual, no torture , an understanding that dates back to our founding fathers and the core rules that govern those rules. setting up a special inter-agency task force on detainee disposition.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
-1 for Pres. Obama for doing this. Hope you libs and Dems enjoy having terrorists in your back yard at a local Fed prison. Although I can almost bet you that every state will fight tooth and nail to keep these scum bags out of their state. They damn well better not send them to my state. Score one for the bad guys ( terrorists ) Now they know they will be treated well.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I like the fact that he went one by one and explained WHY he was signing...

Nothing wrong with transparency.

A step in the right direction IMO

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion
reply to post by antar

I like the fact that he went one by one and explained WHY he was signing...

Nothing wrong with transparency.

A step in the right direction IMO

If you are happy with this then by all means, let them send these terrorists to your neighborhood and lock them up there in a prison. I for one do not want them in my state. Obama just sign the executive FAIL order!

Oh, and sense when did the geneva convention apply to terrorists?

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Merkel]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkel
-1 for Pres. Obama for doing this. Hope you libs and Dems enjoy having terrorists in your back yard at a local Fed prison. Although I can almost bet you that every state will fight tooth and nail to keep these scum bags out of their state. They damn well better not send them to my state. Score one for the bad guys ( terrorists ) Now they know they will be treated well.

The main point is torture, something that only became acceptable under Bush's executive orders. Your post makes it sound like this is pie in the sky bleeding heart stuff, and this means the whole neighborhood is going!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
He goes on to say that the message we are sending out around the world is that the U.S. intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism, we are going to do so vigilantly and effectively and consistent with our values and our ideals. We are not going to continue with a false sense of our safety and moral high ground.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They are already trying to find a state to stick these terrorists in , but no state wants them and are fighting to make sure they don't get them. Whats next? Is Obama going to tell a state " TOUGH, YOU ARE GETTING THEM AND YOU'LL SHUT UP ABOUT IT" ? Sorry, but these sub human terrorists shouldn't have the same rights as a uniformed soldier.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I am waiting for the upload on Utube of the signing, but in case you missed yesterdays signings, here is that coverage. Unfortuneatly Hillary Clinton is not present as there was one single vote against her from a Senator...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

It absolutely amazes me...the people that post such negative things... when what is happening...is Obama is bringing back America to the moral high ground it used to have.

What is also funny, is supposively the most "moral" people of the U.S. are the ones who voted for him, and in 2004 if you were not voting for Bush than you were an "immoral/Godless" person.

Yet Bush did all these horrible things and chained the people of the U.S. up with all "his" orders. Now Obama is trying to undo the immoral things Bush did, and he is being blasted for it!

I can not understand the "religious right" thinking....I would have thought, they would want to live in a "moral" country, that follows treaties etc.

Yeah OBAMA! YEAH OBAMA! Bring us back up in the world, bring morality back to our nation!

THANK YOU OBAMA!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Merkel

Do you have evidence to back what you state? I have not heard anything about him bringing them here to release onto our city streets as you imply. Guantanamo will be no longer an option, get used to it, he does however say that he will not release the confirmed terrorists to any nation or state which is connected to known terrorism. There are innocent family members there who where picked up to be interrogated and never released, they deserve our attention and to be given back their lives and their families.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
As long as our constitution is restore to its formal glory we as a nation will prosper.

Too much corruption has take over this nation for too long, If the people been held in prisons under the banner of terrorist and enemy combatant, thank to bush redefining of the Geneva convention have not been found guilty then they should be send to their respective countries, let their government deal with them.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkel

Oh, and sense when did the geneva convention apply to terrorists?

The day Bush declared war on terrorism, that right there puts these POW's into the geneva convention's prisoner of war protections.

Guess we can thank Bush for that eh?

After all, we are at war with terrorists...correct?

War has but one definition. And when war is declared, the geneva convention rules of war, especially when it comes to prisoners of war, applies.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I hope you are right, I am still so untrusting at my core that it is like having been kept in a box in the dark for 8 years and now released into the freedoms of a bright shiny day, my eyes are still squinting and I am shell shocked.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here is a video where yes I admit some talking heads discuss the roots of this decission. A pretty good discussion for both sides of this issue.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

That is the point. They have no idea what they are going to do with the detainees.

Obama signed an order to close a prison without knowing where the prisoners are going to go.

What a brilliant move.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Good. Now he can set up a FEMA camp at the White House so that he can personally assure himself that they are never tortured again.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Not to worry... I am sure many here would open their homes to these poor misguided souls.

Open the gates and tell them to go home?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

There home doesn't want them. And if they do want them most likely they will end up being political prisoners and treated way worse than they ever have been in Gitmo.

It just doesn't make sense, he closed Gitmo because all the bleeding hearts are torture torture torture. What he could have done is not signed an order to close Gitmo, and just signed the order to stop torture. Problem solved.

But no he couldn't do that he had to close down the whole prison based off of what went on there which as of a few minutes ago he signed an order to stop.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Do you really want to be associated with the criminal activity of water boarding to gain information of people who have been held and detained before it is clear whether or not they are guilty? In the 21st century, this will not be an acceptable act of cruelty. It makes us no better than the guilty...

Water Boarding...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The change needed to govern the future in a truly moral degree will require the same design that our founding fathers first envisioned for our country.

We have veered so off course that it comes as no surprise the Constitution has become the joke of the 20th century. The very same freedoms which were created to insure life and liberty have become a gilded cage for the American people.

We cannot allow the same course of action to prevail into the 21st century. This is one of so many steps that will be required to release the past and move in a new direction.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join