It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Was Biden Officially President For A Day?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Ok, we all know Roberts screwed up while administering the oath of office to Obama on Inauguration Day.

Just moments before Biden was sworn in as Vice President.
This means, for a very short period in History, this country actually had Democrat VP under Bush.

Well, the President was sworn in (so we thought), the media hype began, the festivities continued for the rest of the day and into the evening until the very next day when the Elite Masters decided to play it safe with the "do over" by having Obama retake the oath of office.

Since the Twentieth Amendment to the United States Constitution establishes the details for the "handing of the torch", does this mean Joe Biden was officially our President on day one?


Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.
...
Section 3. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified;

20th Amendment

Bush was no longer President and Obama had not yet qualified so this means Biden was actually President.

Scary thought for sure.




posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro
 


No. You are misunderstanding the article. He was elected legally by the people. He did NOT have to take the oath to fulfill that obligation meaning that he was indeed president at noon. It's just a bunch of hogwash that people are trying to make a big deal out of.

So no, Biden has only been the vice president.

The good thing is that Obama at least stopped during the oath. He knew that it was wrong but decided to run with it.

He decided to try and put these kind of arguments to rest by retaking the oath.

Now, for those big time Obama CTers, what would get me is the fact that this time, when he took a clean oath, he did NOT use a Bible. Just a thought.


Although he is still president irregardless.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg
 


Maybe the flub was intentional? ? ?

___________________second line________________

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Alxandro]



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You are correct. He did not have to take the oath in order to be President. Obama was President officially at 12PM Jan 20, 2009.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
As mentioned above, oath or no oath he was the President at noon! You could see the look on Roberts face, he was embarrassed and Obama was surprised he screwed it up. NO conspiracy here, just a nervous public appearance.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I didn't vote for Obama! They did the "do over" just to keep the tin foil hat wearing conspirisy theorisist from yelling his presidency was illigetiment. It won't stop them, but it might throw up a road block in their way, and slow them down.
People, get over itl. Obama is your president! If you don't like it, tough!!
All you can do is watch for illegal acts and hope you can catch them. If you do, all you can do is call your congressmen or senators and complain.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
reply to post by Alxandro
 


No. You are misunderstanding the article. He was elected legally by the people. He did NOT have to take the oath to fulfill that obligation meaning that he was indeed president at noon. It's just a bunch of hogwash that people are trying to make a big deal out of.

So no, Biden has only been the vice president.

The good thing is that Obama at least stopped during the oath. He knew that it was wrong but decided to run with it.

He decided to try and put these kind of arguments to rest by retaking the oath.

Now, for those big time Obama CTers, what would get me is the fact that this time, when he took a clean oath, he did NOT use a Bible. Just a thought.


Although he is still president irregardless.


You are wrong. Go read the constitution. Article 2 of the the United States Constitution requires that the President must take the oath "before he enter the Execution of his Office".

As far as the bible... it is not required although it is tradition.

[edit on 22/1/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I didn't vote for Obama! They did the "do over" just to keep the tin foil hat wearing conspirisy theorisist from yelling his presidency was illigetiment. It won't stop them, but it might throw up a road block in their way, and slow them down.
People, get over itl. Obama is your president! If you don't like it, tough!!
All you can do is watch for illegal acts and hope you can catch them. If you do, all you can do is call your congressmen or senators and complain.


Haha, if the do-over was to appease the conspiracy theorists... they did not do a good job completely.

The do-over had no bible present.... not that it means anything to me, but the fact remains when the do-over was given, there was no bible used.

I guess you can't please everyone.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
You are wrong. Go read the constitution. Article 2 of the the United States Constitution requires that the President must take the oath "before he enter the Execution of his Office".


Yes, it does say that, but notice the wording: execution of his Office.

The 20th Amendment also says that the term of the President and Vice-President ends at noon, "and the terms of their successors shall then begin."

Obama was President at noon, he simply couldn't exercise his executive powers before the oath.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
People, get over itl. Obama is your president! If you don't like it, tough!!


I don't know if this was directed at me but for the record I've accepted Obama as my President, which means I will not boo him should he ever do something I don't agree with.
I read something somewhere not too long ago that stated the President MUST be sworn in by noon.
For a second it almost sounded as if he must be sworn or the whole thing is nullified at 12:01.
But after reading the 20th Amendment I know high noon is the time the outgoing Prez goes riding off into the sunset.
So maybe the "must be sworn in by noon" is so that the country is not left without a President.
Which is why I pose the questtion in this thread.

Or better yet, if he doesn't need to be sworn in to be Prez, then all the Inauguration Day hoopla was for nothing, which means 2 Million people went to DC for nothing.

Then it turned out to be nothin' but a scam pulled on the disenfranchized.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Funny that Obama felt the need to re-state the oath, citing "an abundance of caution", but did not feel the same need to re-issue and re-sign the executive orders he had signed.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Or better yet, if he doesn't need to be sworn in to be Prez, then all the Inauguration Day hoopla was for nothing, which means 2 Million people went to DC for nothing.


Well the people went to DC to celebrate and witness a formality. The inauguration is really nothing more than that, a celebration, formality and tradition.

But from my interpretation of the Constitution it looks like a President has to take the oath before exercising his executive powers, without it, even though he would be the President, he couldn't discharge his executive duties.



posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Funny that Obama felt the need to re-state the oath, citing "an abundance of caution", but did not feel the same need to re-issue and re-sign the executive orders he had signed.


Press Secretary Gibbs is on right now saying that the Office of Legal Counsel didn't feel he had to re-sign the orders, but advised the President to re-take the oath.




top topics



 
0

log in

join