It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whistleblower: NSA spied on everyone, targeted journalists

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

rawstory.com

The National Security Agency had access to all Americans' communications -- faxes, phone calls, and their computer communications," Tice claimed. "It didn't matter whether you were in Kansas, in the middle of the country, and you never made foreign communications at all. They monitored all communications."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I wonder how many whistleblowers will come out now, about everything Bush did against the American people and what was directly against our constitutional rights?

Is this one of the first of many? I would think so.....since we had the most lawless adminstration in our long history. The past administration thought they were above the law, and still do.

We were all spied on - even though when the warrentless wiretap information came out and Bush first denied it (lied to the American people constantly) - he then finally admitted it, but said it was "International phone calls only".

Well now we are finding out that - that was yet ANOTHER LIE on Bush's part. I wonder if that man, ever uttered one truth?

So now we find out that all of our phone calls were listened to...

According to Tice, in addition to this "low-tech, dragnet" approach, the NSA also had the ability to hone in on specific groups, and that was the aspect he himself was involved with. However, even within the NSA there was a cover story meant to prevent people like Tice from realizing what they were doing.

"In one of the operations that I was in, we looked at organizations, just supposedly so that we would not target them," Tice told Olbermann. "What I was finding out, though, is that the collection on those organizations was 24/7 and 365 days a year -- and it made no sense. ... I started to investigate that. That's about the time when they came after me to fire me."

Why is he coming out now... as he said "Bush is FINALLY out of office"

He was the one, who came out and exposed the warrentless wiretapping.

Tice first began alleging that there were illegal activities going on at both the NSA and the Defense Intelligence Agency in December 2005, several months after being fired by the NSA. He also served at that time as a source for the New York Times story which revealed the existence of the NSA's wireless wiretapping program.

Over the next several months, however, Tice was frustrated in his attempts to testify before Congress, had his credibility attacked by Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh, and was subpoenaed by a federal grand jury in an apparent attempt at intimidation.

Tice is now coming forward again now because George Bush is finally out of office.

here is a link to abc: blogs.abcnews.com...

that blotter is about: ABC finding out their journalist phone calls were being traced.

May 15, 2006 10:33 AM

A senior federal law enforcement official tells ABC News the government is tracking the phone numbers we (Brian Ross and Richard Esposito) call in an effort to root out confidential sources.

"It's time for you to get some new cell phones, quick," the source told us in an in-person conversation.

ABC News does not know how the government determined who we are calling, or whether our phone records were provided to the government as part of the recently-disclosed NSA collection of domestic phone calls.

Other sources have told us that phone calls and contacts by reporters for ABC News, along with the New York Times and the Washington Post, are being examined as part of a widespread CIA leak investigation.

Guess Bush didn't like all his unconstitutional things coming out...so he had journalist targeted.

Under Bush Administration guidelines, it is not considered illegal for the government to keep track of numbers dialed by phone customers.

WOW - to say that we have now had a dark, angry, hurricane storm finally clear to be sunshine and warmth, is an understatement.

I can only hope as millions of others also hope, Bush and his adminstration will pay for all they did that was in direct conflict with the U.S. laws and International laws.

One other thing to say:

Welcome back consitution.....I have missed you for 8 years.

rawstory.com

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Another article regarding what Bush did in listening to all of our phone calls.

abcnews.go.com...

Despite pledges by President George W. Bush and American intelligence officials to the contrary, hundreds of US citizens overseas have been eavesdropped on as they called friends and family back home, according to two former military intercept operators who worked at the giant National Security Agency (NSA) center in Fort Gordon, Georgia.

These were just really everyday, average, ordinary Americans who happened to be in the Middle East, in our area of intercept and happened to be making these phone calls on satellite phones," said Adrienne Kinne, a 31-year old US Army Reserves Arab linguist assigned to a special military program at the NSA's Back Hall at Fort Gordon from November 2001 to 2003.

Kinne described the contents of the calls as "personal, private things with Americans who are not in any way, shape or form associated with anything to do with terrorism."

I am going to look forward to hopefully the many other things that will come out in the next few months about Bush's lawlessness!

For those of you who still make excuses for him....I am sure you will just ignore the reality of what he did to the U.S. for the last 8 years.

This next part is priceless:
link to article: thinkprogress.org...

In response to the “new standard of openness,” conservative talker Rush Limbaugh said that he fears that the more open FOIA rules will make it easier for Bush to be held to account for any misdeeds he committed as president:

LIMBAUGH: What I’m afraid of is that what Obama did with this executive order is actually make it easier for the media to go get Bush documents. Because you know Pelosi and some of the guys over in congress are talking about war crimes trials and charges and so forth. […]

What I’m afraid of is what Obama’s done here is made the gathering of the information for this kind of stuff– This is not American. This is not America. This is not what America does. We don’t– This is Banana Republic kind of stuff.

Below is how Bush would handle request for information.

[The Bush administration’s 2001 FOIA] directive encouraged federal agencies to reject requests for documents if there was any legal basis to do so, promising that the Justice Department would defend them in court. It was a stark reversal of the policy set eight years earlier, when the Clinton administration told agencies to make records available whenever they could, even if the law provided a reason not to, so long as there was no ”foreseeable harm” from the release.

It is hilarious, that Rush said: "It is Unamerican" to disclose things!

WOW - I am always amazed at the length people will go to - to defend Bush and his shredding of our consitution.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I already posted about this last night, but yours is much prettier and better laid out

I defer to your post

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Would they have the power to do it in any nation they want?
Seems a little step with all the electronic communication going on and satellites in the sky.

I doubt that anything would change, it would be 'compromising homeland security'.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

I did not see your post, sorry. Thank you.
Oh, this not just a one liner

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I am getting the impression that there was only one safe haven in the U.S. for a criminal mastermind - and that was in the Oval Office. Once there, anything was possible, and laws did not apply.
It seems that you are at the mercy of the character of the person who holds office there. I am deeply encouraged by who you have there now, but the vulnerability remains, does it not?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
How many times have I told you guys about the SCL. The NSA works with that company. 911 was most likely filmed through their monitors. When you wonder who choose you programing it is on part hollywood one part homeland security and one part those SCL guys.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
How many times have I told you guys about the SCL.

This is the third, I believe. That I've seen anyway. And no other ATS member has mentioned it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Until Obama stops supporting the domestic spying program and the Patriot Act I wouldnt expect too many people to be coming out.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting information in wikipedia about the wiretapping:

Gonzales stated that the program authorizes warrantless intercepts where the government "has a reasonable basis to conclude that one party to the communication is a member of al Qaeda, affiliated with al Qaeda, or a member of an organization affiliated with al Qaeda, or working in support of al Qaeda." and that one party to the conversation is "outside of the United States".[11] The revelation raised immediate concern among elected officials, civil right activists, legal scholars and the public at large about the legality and constitutionality of the program and the potential for abuse. Since then, the controversy[12] has expanded to include the press's role in exposing a classified program, the role and responsibility of Congress in its executive oversight function and the scope and extent of Presidential powers under Article II of the Constitution.

Remember it supposively was only people who had connections to As Qaeda. Now we find out it was ALL of us, especially reporters.

The NSA surveillance controversy involves legal issues that fall into two broad disciplines: statutory interpretation and Constitutional law. Statutory interpretation is the process of interpreting and applying legislation to the facts of a given case. Constitutional law is the body of law that governs the interpretation of the United States Constitution and covers areas of law such as the relationship between the federal government and state governments, the rights of individuals, and other fundamental aspects of the application of government authority in the United States.[45]

Above, says against our consitution...... so sure keep defending the traitor of our consitution and a traitor to the United States people........Bush.
He does need to be tried as a traitor besides a war criminal.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Occurs they do!!!!!!!!!!!! they all traitors to the constitution, see Bush was enlove with Nixon and he wanted to prove that he could do what Nixon did and better.

So he got 9/11 and the patriot act, we all got suck into it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

A-I'd take this guy's assertions with a grain of salt. He waits until after he's fired after having negative psychiatric evaluations, to grind his axe.

B-Is anyone surprised that the use of certain buzz words/phrases over electronic media, might cause them to be enjoy further scrutiny?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja

A-I'd take this guy's assertions with a grain of salt. He waits until after he's fired after having negative psychiatric evaluations, to grind his axe.

B-Is anyone surprised that the use of certain buzz words/phrases over electronic media, might cause them to be enjoy further scrutiny?

Unbelievable, isn't that they typical response from someone who supports Bush no matter what..... people will release their rights or look the other way, instead of possibly being proven wrong about voting for a man with no character or redeeming qualities.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

Originally posted by BlueRaja

Unbelievable, isn't that they typical response from someone who supports Bush no matter what..... people will release their rights or look the other way, instead of possibly being proven wrong about voting for a man with no character or redeeming qualities.

Of course what you're saying is that anybody who's against Bush should immediately be trusted without any scrutiny whatsoever. That works both ways. Personally, I like some corroboration of details from more than one source, before drinking any Kool Aid.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Until Obama stops supporting the domestic spying program and the Patriot Act I wouldnt expect too many people to be coming out.

I'm in all agreement with you; these two programs need to die and fast, once they are completely wiped out...I'll become less of a cynic. I'm extremely happy with what's going on right now and hopefully this will be the disclosure we all severely need.

Here's hoping. S&F great thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

WOW - to say that we have now had a dark, angry, hurricane storm finally clear to be sunshine and warmth, is an understatement.

I can only hope as millions of others also hope, Bush and his adminstration will pay for all they did that was in direct conflict with the U.S. laws and International laws.

One other thing to say:

Welcome back consitution.....I have missed you for 8 years.

So, you, uh... hope Bush pays for operating under a bill Barack Obama voted to extend (FISA), with full knowledge of everything that was going on under the umbrela protection of said bill? Sunshine & warmth? Don't know where you're standing, but it's still pretty stormy where I'm at.

So far, the only Constitutional rights that were "taken" under Bush (percieved or otherwise... depending on whether you believe we lost any freedoms in the first place.) that have been granted back to the people by Obama have been directed at people with questionable claims under the Constitution to begin with. In other words, his closing of Guantanimo and somehow or other deciding to apply the US Constitution to non-US citizens is about the only change in that realm I've seen so far. Has he ever even hinted at any remorse over passing the FISA extension? Hell, has he ever expressed any remorse over anything on which he sided with Bush? I sure haven't seen him do so.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

rawstory.com

The National Security Agency had access to all Americans' communications -- faxes, phone calls, and their computer communications," Tice claimed. "It didn't matter whether you were in Kansas, in the middle of the country, and you never made foreign communications at all. They monitored all communications."

Why so shocked?
Even without the Patriot Act, you still have

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (FISA)
uscode.house.gov...

And that not only covers unconsented Surveillance, but, more importantly, what is consented to. Just look at the big push for National Healthcare, Current and all- encompassing Digital Cable requirements to cover for Analog Cables old loopholes not requiring consent-- that is broadcasters have to sign a blanket consent to broadcast and you do to recieve the signal-- read the fine print, and every other type of organization and program which recieves Federal and this includes the States and businesses which recieves these funds compelling them to recieve consent from the political, demographic, and other recipients of their products and Services. consent you can imagine, regardless of the form it ultimately takes, just to enforce more consented surveillance. Thanks to your consent to surveillance under:

Title III of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (PL 90-351; 18 USC chap 119)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Fair Credit Reporting Act of 1970 (PL 91-508; 15 USC sect 1681)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (PL 93-380; 20 USC sect 1232g)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Privacy Act of 1974 (PL 93-579; 5 USC sect 552a)
alternate address: www.epic.org...
www.law.cornell.edu...

Right to Financial Privacy Act of 1978 (PL 95-630; 12 USC chap 35)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Privacy Protection Act of 1980 (PL 96-440; 42 USC sect 2000aa)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Cable Communications Policy Act of 1984 (PL 98-549; 47 USC sect 551)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (PL 99-508; 18 USC chap 121)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Computer Matching and Privacy Protection Act of 1988 (PL 100-503; 5 USC sect 552a)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988 (PL100-347; 29 USC chap 22)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Video Privacy Protection Act of 1988 (PL 100-618; 18 USC sect 2710)
www.law.cornell.edu...

Telemarketing Protection Act of 1991 (PL 102-243; 47 USC sect 227)
www.law.cornell.edu...

These consents also include all consents to recieve Federal Funds under the Civil rights EOE requirements allowing for the monitoring and consent for compliance.

28 CFR 42.101 et seq
www.usdoj.gov...

28 CFR 50.3. Guidelines for enforcement of Title VI, Civil Rights Act.
www.usdoj.gov...

So, while you may not be directly investigated under the Patriot Act or FISA, or what ever Act of Law that is used, you may be investigated as a result of content collected for other legally authorized and consented use.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by PhyberDragon]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm not shocked at all. Isn't this what Echelon does?

Of course they are watching everything and everyone.

Why is anyone shocked at what the government does anymore?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Its more critical since they are referring to Bush's policies. Like this is something new to America. Kind of like 9/11 was the day that Americans know what terrorism is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join