It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is to late too go back, and undo some US history?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Just a few days after 9/11, G.W. Bush signed the PATRIOT ACT. At the time is almost sounded like a god plan, however there were some, who tried to warn you (the ordinary hardworking american), of the dangerous attack upon your civil liberties.
Since then, the PATRIOT ACT has undergone several changes. The logic being, that in order to catch the "evil-dooers", the goverment can search your home without a warrant. Arrest and detain "possible" terrorists, and move them around the U.S.A and the world. Torture them without mercy, and should they die, well there's protocols for that to.
G.W. Bush has even done away with "habeas corpus". The goverment have made sure, that they don't need an arrest warrant. Therefore it's okay to trash the "subjects" home inside out.

My question is simply this. Can Obama undo the PATRIOT ACT. I hope somebody can answer this question for me.

Peace

PS: Congrats on your new President

Mod Edit: Removed AllCaps title.

[edit on 1/22/2009 by seagull]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Hey, is it too late to go back and undo your all-caps title?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topspike
My question is simply this. Can Obama undo the PATRIOT ACT. I hope somebody can answer this question for me.

That depends on what is contained in the Patrot Act. There may be clauses in there that wont make it easy to change, or eliminate certian line items.

Remember how it was put into law. Congress was not given the opportunity to properly review it. For all they know, and for all we know, there may be something in there that might prevent congress from changing it at all, or at least through normal processes.

For a real answer, its best to consult with someone well versed in government law and the Patriot Act.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Now why would Obama change it. It was put into place for his run as the POTUS. Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Wait a minute there RFBurns, usually I have a lot of respect for your opinions. However, to suggest that Congress did not have a chance to read the Patriot Act strains all credibility.

The Patriot Act was written by the Senate, which was under Democrat control in 2001-2002. Thanks to Jim Jeffords switching parties.

There may have been a "rush" to pass it in the aftermath of 9/11.

However, they renewed it. They voted for it again. After they knew what was in it. I don't think that they can play that "we were fooled by Bush" line twice on the same piece of legislation.

The truth is, the Dems helped write it and they really don't have a problem with it. They only play the "Bush lied" stuff for politics.

Watch, while Obama defends the Patriot Act and refuses to change it.

top topics

join