It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your slant?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

it's not supernatural

no duh. who said it was? it's not even scientific.

everything - every single thing we do - reveals something about us

I make many decisions based on the flip of a coin or roll of a die, I live my life this way. My actions reveal nothing more than that I indulge in randomness. Which basically reveals nothing.

you could argue about whether or not it's been interpreted correctly - but that doesn't mean we aren't constantly giving ourselves away

I've already said that you can tell who wrote something, but thats about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

are you left or right handed?

I don't really know if it makes a difference - but it might

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I'm right-handed.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

I make many decisions based on the flip of a coin or roll of a die, I live my life this way. My actions reveal nothing more than that I indulge in randomness. Which basically reveals nothing.

you're an international man of mystery...

is your handwriting style random? Do you get to decide how your writing will look as you write?

is it so hard to believe that someone with a very assertive personality might write differently form someone who is shy - or someone who is detail oriented?

I know someone who is a journalist - his handwriting is meticulous - neat doesn't even begin to describe it

he's a facts and just the facts sort of guy - very organized

doesn't mean all journalists write the way he does - but, his personality is exactly like his handwriting

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206

Do you really think that indulging in randomness is nothing? A meaningless trait that has nothing to do with your personality?

sorry to interrupt

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I know this cat runs a very tight ship(lol....literally) , he has to have everything done a certain way. Organized guy yadda yadda, he has......worst handwriting ever!

Now that you mention it yeah, I have noticed randomness to my handwriting. A paragraph may start in one style and be ver different by the end.

You shoulda seen this wicked style I had back in 8th grade washington state history class....my teacher was so pissed. I made english look like hieroglyphics!!!

I had to do like 6 chapters of homework over again.

is it so hard to believe that someone with a very assertive personality might write differently form someone who is shy - or someone who is detail oriented?

it's too hard for someone "who's skeptical - and isn't easily taken in.." like me. I think people can have any style...

[edit on 22-1-2009 by liquidsmoke206]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
I never left hand slant unless I am forging.. hee
no, I have tried it to see if I like it..
and I am pretty good at copying peoples writing styles.
I used to have my mom and dads down pat. (you know, just in case)

Me too, i always write straight and only slant left if i am copying - yeah, i did the parent thing too, ha,ha.

Another curious thing i have done is incorporate other peoples style into my own. My f's i took from my french teacher (i was 11 and i liked it so much i kept it) and my Q's from a colleague some years back (they look like a fat #2).

I also remeber getting told off at junior school for putting spirals in my g's and y's (botton half), i was really upset about it because i liked it and it was MY handwriting

erm jus noticed my post is slanted

Great thread Seagrass

[edit on 22-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

My slant changes. But the way I write certain letters never changes. I do have a normal style about my writing. When it changes, I force it to change - as in addressing envelopes or filling out forms.

People can mask their handwriting, but in the case of "criminals" usually it is not masked.

Its used as forensics. There is a reason it is. It is rather accurate.

I know you don't believe in it
Its ok. But I do and I have seen the forensics of it.

Here is a quick example of it:
science.howstuffworks.com...

Again, I know you don't believe it...its find, I'm quite skeptical on most things here
but I know for certain handwriting analysis works and is legit

[edit on 1/22/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I rarely see a left slant. very rarely. It is actually kind of hard to make yourself do it. It seems unnatural and awkward to me.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Mine is all over the place. It's been more than 10 years since I've written a long piece of text and my handwriting is terrible. Typing is so much faster

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mortje

Greetings to Amsterdam!! and welcome to ATS! I will never pick on your grammar. English is my native language, and I still make mistakes all the time.

When I am in a hurry, my writing looks nothing like how I normally write either, it actually looks a lot like my mom's handwriting. And my brother writes just like my bio-dad. Anyone have writing like a relative? Mine resembles my aunts, who I do not like.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

well - I can see by your avatar that you are not someone who suffers fools - gladly or otherwise

I would lamely suggest that we agree to disagree

but - I have a hard time getting that worked up over a difference of opinion - about handwriting

it's a silly thing that some of us are going to continue to find interesting

lucky for you you haven't wasted any time on it

:-)

[edit on 1/22/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

GEL, thank you for posting that link to the handwriting analysis page since.....

IT SUPPORTS EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID AND NOTHING YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN SAYING.

read it yourself.

The page goes on and on about the process of analyzing some ones handwriting to find out their identity, which I've already said is entirely possible to do. On top of that it says handwriting analysis is still subjective and still NOT allowed in some court cases.

It mentions nothing about a persons personality being written into a few meaningless slants or loops. This type of logic is the same as the woman I saw on TV who thought you could judge some ones personality by the shape of their eyebrows, nose, lips, etc.......come on, complete BS.

We can be civil and agree to disagree all you guys want, but until you guys can actually back up you opinions, your really not doing much to deny ignorance...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Being a human being with natural urges and desires makes your actions about as arbitrary as this post. Flipping a coin or rolling a die is only as random as the number of options it offers, two or six. Which do you choose, the die or the coin? How many options do you want? Don't look now but you are engaging in a less than random action by choosing anything. Such ambivalence is usually a sign of insecurity, as are threatening poses and the obscuring of one's face. But, hey, I could be wrong. What do I know? And I'm not afraid to admit it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

dead wrong, and why does it always come back to the avatars on this site..always....you guys don't have any arguments of substance or what?

you mite be right about the randomness, but it still proves nothing about the TOPIC AT HAND, remember that? and for the record I use a 12 sided die, six sided are for wimps.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

and for the record I use a 12 sided die, six sided are for wimps.

Sincerely, bravo for that one. Genuinely gave me a laugh

Okay, why does it come back to avatars? Because it's human nature to discern everything we can about each other, even if it's only as a way of making us feel safer. Determining if the person we're interacting with is a threat or not is one of the most basic of human instincts. Personally I'm not judging you, but rather coming to a point in a rather roundabout way. So here it goes...

If there's one thing I've learned about humans in my life it's that they rarely betray their true inner self outwardly. Instead, they often, though not always, portray themselves as they'd like to be seen, perhaps believing that by appearing courageous that they aren't fearful, or that by appearing strong they aren't weak, or that by appearing confident that they really aren't insecure. But our inner sense will almost always be betrayed in some way, unconsciously, with the exception of sociopaths

This is the basis of psychology, which you may think is bunk too, and I'd agree with you to an extent. Although I would say that they aren't on the wrong path, just at times misinterpreting what they observe. Though not always.

As an example of the subconscious being betrayed in a conscious act, take the person you mentioned who demonstrates such complete control of his life yet his handwriting is a mess. Why? Does it make sense that he would allow this one element to slip? One that the world will be exposed to fairly readily. It seems to me that what could really be happening is that his inward feelings of chaos and lack of control are being revealed unconsciously through his handwriting. Perhaps his exercise of absolute control is merely his way of trying to deal with his inner insecurities. Then again, perhaps not.

But here's the thing about handwriting in general: We are taught the mechanics of how to write, but the execution is different for everyone. Just that fact alone leads me to believe that there is some credence to the idea. Rather like fingerprints, our handwriting is individual, and just like any individual characteristic can in fact lead to conclusions about who we really are. Always accurate? Doubtful. But for me that doesn't lead to dismissing it completely.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I was talking with someone about this the other day and the person told me that lots of serial killers have similar R's in their writing. It also looks like they write very hard and many other things.
www.annakoren.com...
I am sure that the preference of hand, emphasis on lower or upper half of letters, style, and pressure all are related with the brain, but I am not positive we can determine exactly what the handwriting means about the person, we can just say these people have these things in common so it must mean this. There is no 100% testable way of knowing, but it is fun.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have average pressure, slight right slant (never left slant, but when I am rushed I do vertical), middle zone concentration, medium spacing between letters and words, average speed, switch rounded and sharp tops on m, n, and r. I think this pretty accurately describes me too.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Not sure anyone would have much luck analyzing my handwriting because it changes. I have problems with my bank because of this, they show me my signature on file and want to see if I can copy it in front of them. I just don't have a natural flow to my writing.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
When I write I write with a mostly "vertical slant" and a slight "left slant"

I must say, the discription for each does fit me for the most part, fairly well.

I do try to conceal emotions, MY emotions anyway, I try to keep them in chek as well.

Although I must admit, I am not good at concealing them because usually people can tell just how I am feeling.

So for what thats worth....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join