It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather is certainly off in Denver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm curious how much weather is just out of whack across the U.S. as well as around the world.

When I grew up in Denver Colorado, I remember many very cold winters, and blizzards, and during the summers, wicked thunderstorms. My mother came home one day, her hair frazzled, and smelling like sulfur, because she was a few feet off from being hit by lightning.

Now, weather is completely different. I left Colorado, travelled around the world, served in the military, came home.. and it's just so much different from when I was a kid.

Today, on Januray 21st, it was 71 degrees in Denver. Setting a new record high for this day, when the average temperature is 46 degrees for this day. But regardless of one high temperature day, the entire winter has been the mildest I've ever seen here. Entire weeks in WINTER where it is in the 60s. We've had TWO snowstorms in Denver proper (not counting a pitiful one), the most snow I saw was maybe 5 inches, and it was gone the next day, when it hit the 60s again. It's just baffling to me.

Last spring and summer, I waited for rain. I love thunderstorms. I go out front, and watch it come down, and listen. Last year, I went outside twice. Two thunderstorms, that's it.

El Nino? Just a weird weather pattern this last several years? Or global warming? I think the latter. After all the warnings at the poles, and weird animal behaviour, and melting glaciers and the rest, I'm still amazed that folks at LEAST don't take the catious route. So many top scientists, and the last administration and this one, agree there is global warming. Why is there so much dissent that it's fake? I don't get why people are so adamant that it doesn't exist. What more proof do they need?

I was watching a special on TV the other day, it was the supreme court, and it was a case about cigerette smoking. They asked some 'leading' scientists if they thought that cigerette smoking was addictive. One after the other, they said "No, I don't think smoking cigerette smoking is addictive or dangerous." It was hilarious and sad. It showed how people could be bought off, to try and protect something that clearly IS dangerous. I feel the same is happening now. A few loud sources are doing all they can to promote the idea that global warming is a fraud. When all facts are pointing to the fact that it is true.

So while some may say to me... "Well, where is your proof? You are guessing!" No.. I am not really guessing. As I drove around today, and last week.. and saw people in T-SHIRTS in DENVER in the middle of WINTER.. that pretty much summed it up for me. This is not normal. Every winter is milder than the last. I just hope that enough get on board and try to do something about it, before it's too late.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hello Global Warming/Cooling

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

You answered your own question. People can be bought off to tout what ever they are paid to tout.

The truth is that nobody knows if Climate Change is Man Made or is it not Man Made.

If you listen to the alarmist they will tell you we are changing it. If you take two seconds to think about it the Climate has been changing way before man ever came to exist.

The earth has been around for billions of year and 100 year questionable data set is hardly enough to start dictating policy.

There is a lot we don't know, and we won't ever know everything.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I know exactly what you're saying. But it's not global warming/cooling. It's the same thing that happened back in the "Dirty 30's" There is a wet weather jet stream that moves up from the gulf, over eastern Texas and all of Oklahoma before it hits the Rockies, and moves up the eastern slope all the way into Canada. This jet stream has moved south, and is running around the south side of the Rockies and is now moving up the western slope. Hence why Washington state is flooding
Don't trip out, its odd yes, but not unheard of. This is the very reason why Oklahoma had the "dustbowl" back in the 30's. Not sure why it happens, or how long it's going to last, but I don't believe it has anything to do with global warming/cooling. Good post!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I've noticed increased fluctuations betweens extremes in many places I've been over the past few years. I moved to Australia about 8 years ago, and the climate has steadily changed even during that timeframe. Just last winter in Sydney, there were a few days that people I work with said they didn't remember it ever being that cold growing up. Likewise, over the past two weeks, people are commenting on the fact that it's never felt this warm either.

It's been blisteringly hot here in Sydney, but it's a different kind of heat than I've ever experienced. It's like a flash-frying all-encompassing heat...like an oven set on high-heat.

I noticed the other day when I went out for lunch that the parts of my body exposed yet in the shade were just as hot as portions facing the sun - now that's odd. I've also noticed over the past few years that it's becoming much easier to tell which portions of skin are in the sun and which are in the shade (without looking). Holding my hand in partial light & shade, I can trace a line where the light ends and darkness begins with my eyes closed.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Your right the weather here has been "off" for quite a while, while I don't have an answer as to why, I just keep watching and try to get used to the changes as I can. I do enjoy going outdoors wearing shorts in the middle of winter though

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by fleabit

The truth is that nobody knows if Climate Change is Man Made or is it not Man Made.

Considering every planet in our solar system is heating up, it's pretty safe to say it's not man made..

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by fleabit

This is not true. Scientific consensus is overwhelmingly in support of Global Warming. But Big Oil has done an excellent job of convincing people that the science is uncertain.

The Denial Machine

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Is this thread about Global Warming or Climate Change?

Since he said it was hot I'm assuming its Global Warming.

Tuesday it snowed in Georgia..........So am I experiancing Climate Change while the OP is experiancing Global Warming? Is that possible?

This is all very confusing.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Climate Change is the diluted term Big Oil used to tone down Global Warming. See the video I posted above. It interviews the guy who did the Market research that came up with the term. He wrote the policy book for the White House. Now he accepts Global Warming is a fact.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

Regardless of your heat problem at the moment, I envy you living in Sydney. Been working to get a work visa for awhile now, then hopefully I'll never live in the US again. That place is heaven on earth for me.

But on to the subject.

Here in Philly, the weather has been MUCH MUCH colder than most other winters. Not so much storms, but the temp is ridiculous. Only 2 hours away, where I grew up in central PA, they haven't had a night above single digits in a couple weeks. It is bitterly cold.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rizla

Climate Change is the diluted term Big Oil used to tone down Global Warming. See the video I posted above. It interviews the guy who did the Market research that came up with the term. He wrote the policy book for the White House. Now he accepts Global Warming is a fact.

So if Climate Change is a made up term then why is it snowing in GA? Hasn't snowed here in about 4 years. Seems like the opposite of Warming, don't you think?

What about Florida? The next couple of days most of FL is going to be near record lows. I'm sure they will disagree with Global Warming when they have to buy parkas because of the below freezing temps, not counting the wind chill.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Jet stream? It's more than a weather anomaly, this is ongoing. This isn't a freak thing this week. This is the mildest winter I've ever seen, followed by the second mildest winter I've ever seen (last year), and so on.

As far as other planets warming up: As has been studied, there is no conclusive proof that this has anything to do with our own warming. I've read a few articles on theories why particular moons or planets are heating up, but the simple fact is, they do not know a specific cause for them.

It's pretty simple really. There is no doubt that we are releasing gasses into the atmosphere that can block the escape of the suns energy. This isn't guessing, this is known fact. There is most certainly something going amiss with the weather. Whether it's colder weather, warmer weather, the weather patterns are amuck. Doesn't it seem irresponsible in the extreme to say "Oh, it might not be us," and then just ignore it? To throw up our hands and say "Meh, it may not be CO2, we'll just ignore it, maybe it will go away."

I understand that nothing has been conclusively proven on either side of the fence that it's one thing or the other. It just seems irresponsible in the extreme to deliberately NOT do anything. One would think everyone would ere on the side of caution.

Another fine day in the 60s here in Denver. When I was driving to work, I looked at the mountains. Normally in the winter, the ones behind the footballs (the 14ers and such), ALL are solid white. All winter. And often until June and July. Today, they are not fully white, they are half white, half rock. I've never seen the tops of the mountains in the winter so bereft of snow, it's just weird.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Just blame it on Bush.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yep, same here in OR. To me, this is unusual for OR this time of year, but, the last time I remember having a winter storm warning was so far back that I can't remember. Now, yes, we've had ice storms, a HUGE one in 84-85?

Anyways, we're expecting snow again Sunday. Skies have been clear and not a cloud around for miles since Monday? Today, clouds.

Here's the 48 hour forecast from google. weather

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

So if Climate Change is a made up term then why is it snowing in GA? Hasn't snowed here in about 4 years. Seems like the opposite of Warming, don't you think?

What about Florida? The next couple of days most of FL is going to be near record lows. I'm sure they will disagree with Global Warming when they have to buy parkas because of the below freezing temps, not counting the wind chill.

Ur, the term was created. Artificially. As an alternative to Global Warming. It's marketing. Dur. I have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wierd jet stream patterns.

Just a week or two ago we had a high temp of -2 degrees here in Chicago. That's the coldest day since February of 1996, or 13 years ago (after the height of CFC/ozone but before global warming became the target).

It looks like the jet stream is acting funky and just pushing cold arctic air down more in the middle of the U.S.

Patterns change all the time and have since recorded weather history. Hard to pinpoint one direct cause IMO. I have studied quite a bit of Illinois historical weather records and found that there are way too many variations to say that there is a 'norm' ... meaning it's hard really to have a baseline to compare current temps.

In other words, going back to the late 1800s doesn't really give you a sense of how "off" we really are ... there's years where winter barely got to freezing and there were years when we had multiple weeks of single digit highs. If you had 3000 years of data then maybe it would be a good indicator. In other words you can average all daily high temps for the month and then use those year over year to show that they are rising slightly over time, but that doesn't take into account the fact that we might have had a milder winter one year or less dips in the jet stream (like we had last week and will have coming up apparently). Take out the extreme data points, THEN what do you have? That's what gets to me about stats ... I can twist them around to support any argument I want.

About the only steady conclusion I've been able to make among all this is that we are losing our 4 seasons around here. Seems like it's winter, 2 weeks of mild temps, summer, 2 weeks of mild temps, winter again. When I have free time I'll make up some graphs with our temps historically to show spring and fall shortening. Then again I'm sure someone could turn that around too.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Ur, the term was created. Artificially. As an alternative to Global Warming. It's marketing. Dur. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Did you just say "Dur"............wow haven't heard that one in about 15 years.

Anyway. Sure it is a made up term, so is Global Warming. I would think that you global warming nuts would jump onto Climate Change. That way any weather change that would seem out of the ordinary could be blamed on the human race.

After all that is what it is really for. To blame all weather that seems weird on the human race.

I don't see how that would benifit the "big oil" companies. It gets hot they lose and if it gets cold they lose.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Denver is warmer than normal, as well as other places, I was in Phoenix earlier in the week and daytime highs were near 80, then in Vegas it was quite warm, not just the daytime temp. but the nights are warm especially for January.

That said, it is not an unusual pattern, when the central and eastern states get the extreme cold weather the west is warmer and dryer, and when the west is cold and wetter the central and eastern states are typically warmer and dryer. It all depends on high pressures and the upper jet-stream.

I do not see anything in these anomalies that suggest we are going through any kind of climate change, if you look at the average temperatures and weather across the nation and world you will see the same.

A warm winter in Denver?

Is that really a bad thing?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have been here in Colorado since 1966, lived in Denver until 03/1970 then moved to Grand Lake after my father retired from the USAF. I moved back down here in 1986 and I can remember winters just exactly like this. 2 years ago we had a ton of snow, Grand Lake had very little, then this year it has reversed and every 4 or 5 years it does.. You notice that even though it was warm we didn't break the record back in 1955 of 72 on this same day right? It's just another cycle....

Originally posted by fleabit
I'm curious how much weather is just out of whack across the U.S. as well as around the world.

When I grew up in Denver Colorado, I remember many very cold winters, and blizzards, and during the summers, wicked thunderstorms. My mother came home one day, her hair frazzled, and smelling like sulfur, because she was a few feet off from being hit by lightning.

Now, weather is completely different. I left Colorado, travelled around the world, served in the military, came home.. and it's just so much different from when I was a kid.

Today, on Januray 21st, it was 71 degrees in Denver. Setting a new record high for this day, when the average temperature is 46 degrees for this day. But regardless of one high temperature day, the entire winter has been the mildest I've ever seen here. Entire weeks in WINTER where it is in the 60s. We've had TWO snowstorms in Denver proper (not counting a pitiful one), the most snow I saw was maybe 5 inches, and it was gone the next day, when it hit the 60s again. It's just baffling to me.

Last spring and summer, I waited for rain. I love thunderstorms. I go out front, and watch it come down, and listen. Last year, I went outside twice. Two thunderstorms, that's it.

El Nino? Just a weird weather pattern this last several years? Or global warming? I think the latter. After all the warnings at the poles, and weird animal behaviour, and melting glaciers and the rest, I'm still amazed that folks at LEAST don't take the catious route. So many top scientists, and the last administration and this one, agree there is global warming. Why is there so much dissent that it's fake? I don't get why people are so adamant that it doesn't exist. What more proof do they need?

I was watching a special on TV the other day, it was the supreme court, and it was a case about cigerette smoking. They asked some 'leading' scientists if they thought that cigerette smoking was addictive. One after the other, they said "No, I don't think smoking cigerette smoking is addictive or dangerous." It was hilarious and sad. It showed how people could be bought off, to try and protect something that clearly IS dangerous. I feel the same is happening now. A few loud sources are doing all they can to promote the idea that global warming is a fraud. When all facts are pointing to the fact that it is true.

So while some may say to me... "Well, where is your proof? You are guessing!" No.. I am not really guessing. As I drove around today, and last week.. and saw people in T-SHIRTS in DENVER in the middle of WINTER.. that pretty much summed it up for me. This is not normal. Every winter is milder than the last. I just hope that enough get on board and try to do something about it, before it's too late.

top topics

join