It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kevin Rudd condemns Samir Abu Hamza's comments on rape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Kevin Rudd condemns Samir Abu Hamza's comments on rape

www.news.com.au

KEVIN Rudd has demanded an Islamic cleric apologise for reportedly telling male followers they can force their wives to have sex, and hit them if they're disobedient.

The Prime Minister said Samir Abu Hamza's comments had no place in modern Australia.

During a 2003 lecture also posted on the internet last year, Mr Hamza told followers that under Islamic law, men could demand sex from their wives.

Despite Australian laws requiring consent, it was impossible for a man to rape his wife...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The article is breaking news, but I'm not sure why it has made the news, given the date of the comments in 2003.

Maybe the propaganda machine needed to dredge up an older story, so they got Krudd to share his wisdom with us all?

However, I agree that it's out of line to claim that rape in marriage is ok. Similarly striking a wife on the hand or leg is just as ridicluous. Doesn't that cleric know anything about women? All they need is a tap on the arse and they'll fire up!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: For those of you who don't know, Kevin Rudd (Krudd) is the Prime Minister of Australia.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
About half an hour ago the title of this article was Rudd slams Islamic cleric's rape views on ninemsn news. It has since changed. The New title is - Wife-beating call was metaphoric: cleric
news.ninemsn.com.au...

I have both open with the same link. The story has now changed.

This part is not in the updated version of the story

"After you have advised them (not to be disobedient) for a long, long time then you smack them, you beat them and, please, brothers, calm down, the beating the Mohammed showed is like the toothbrush that you use to brush your teeth.

"You are not allowed to bruise them, you are not allowed to make them bleed."

The new version does not address the beating of women with a toothbrush.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

All they need is a tap on the arse and they'll fire up!

I guess in western tradition a slap on the arse is acceptable. Maybe their tradition is a slap on the hand or leg. Maybe to them a slap on the arse viewed as treating a woman as a piece of meat and not a person?

People have different cultures. It doesn't make them wrong, just different.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
sorry, my post came up twice for some reason.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Obliterated]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliterated

Maybe, but I doubt it.

There's a distinct difference between some playful slaps, as opposed to abuse.

I doubt women of any culture want to be abused, unless they're selling themselves for drug money.

The Cleric can back-peddle all that he wants, it doesn't take back that he said what he said.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
There's a big difference between tapping your lover on the ass, and smacking them around if they wont spread their legs for you.

Religions or not, you dont beat people just because they dont want to have sex.

Not long ago, another Australian cleric blamed women for being raped, because they didnt cover up and presented themselves as pieces of meat.

So let me get this straight

'' If she puts her self out there in sexual clothing, she's a piece of meat and deserves to be raped, but it is bad ''

but

'' if she doesnt want to have sex with you for any reason, your allowed to beat her, and rape her ''

Im sorry but men should never hit women period. If she doesnt want to sleep with you, stop acting like a prehistoric caveman, you might find she warms to you when she's considered a person.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
That guy cracked me up.

"Preparing bread on the stove"? What is this, the twelth century? I'm sure there are Muslims reading this, thinking 'can't I just go to Tescos like everyone else?'

"In this country if the husband wants to sleep with his wife and she does not want to and ... there's nothing wrong with her, she just does not want to, and he ends up sleeping with her by force, it is ... known to be as a rape. "

Oh my dear, strange little friend, it's not just that country; rape is in fact the English word for forcing a person to have sexual relations with you! I realise, given the crappy Arabic language, that it probably translates into "playful, coy refusal" as well as "watermelon", "the act of opening a tin can", the colour mauve, and the feminine form of general greeting, but in English this is simply not the case!

Somebody take the balls out of this guy's mouth, so he can stop talking bollocks for five minutes, please?

join