It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama is sworn in for second time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Oh yes, you are completely right about that, I wasn't disputing your statement.

A little history - two previous Presidents have taken the Oath twice:

Calvin Coolidge

His father, a notary public, administered the oath of office in the family's parlor by the light of a kerosene lamp at 2:47 a.m. on August 3, 1923; Coolidge then went back to bed. Coolidge returned to Washington the next day, and was re-sworn by Justice A. A. Hoehling of the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia, as there was some confusion over whether a state notary public had the authority to administer the presidential oath.

Chester Arthur

President Arthur took the oath of office twice. The first time was just past midnight at his Lexington Avenue residence on September 20 by New York Supreme Court justice John R. Brady; the second time was upon his return to Washington two days later.

It's interesting that in both cases was due to the fact that President in effect at the time had died. I guess that even on this Obama made history heh

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx
If Obama was not legaly President, would that leave Hillary Clinton in charge?

Who is second in comand?

The line goes President, vice President, Speaker of the House, Pro tem of the Senate and then Secretary of State.

Thanks for the heads up!

Regards S_G

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

they'll grab on to that line about him not using a bible

Just saw a Whitehouse photograph of his second attempt, no bible there either, I thought that was supposed to be part of it, maybe somebody will photoshop one in.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
All those actors should do a better job memorizing their lines, it can't be helping their career.

Then again...bloopers and out-take videos don't sell too bad either.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
A 2nd oath. No reporters, no tv cameras, no bible. That just stinks to high heaven. Sorry O-fans.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
you Americans are so much into pomp and ceremony, you should really ease up a little, not everything has to be perfect first time.
everybody will make mistakes, especially when the occasion is so grand.

To be honest, Obama could have taken a dump on the podium and kicked it into the crowd and people would have thought they had just been blessed.
Obama will show his colours as time goes by, he may be the greatest President ever, or he may be the worst, only time will tell.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by converge

If Obama was not legaly President, would that leave Hillary Clinton in charge?

Who is second in comand?

Please don't add to the speculation. The 20th Amendment deals with this.

The terms of the President and Vice-President end at noon as specified in Section 1, meaning Obama started his term when President Bush's expired.

Quick correction... Obama didn't take over until he was sworn in so the line of succession ended up leaving Condi Rice acting president for a few minutes... Take that Obama! :thumbsup

Katkin goes on to explain that the Presidential Succession Act states that when the president and vice-president are no longer qualified to hold their offices, as President Bush and Vice President Cheney were not, first the Speaker of the House and then the President Pro Tempore of the Senate shall assume the presidency, “upon his resignation.” But since neither Nancy Pelosi nor Robert Byrd had resigned Congress, neither could become president. So…

SOURCE
(7) Section 19(d)(1) of the Presidential Succession Act provides: “If, by reason of … failure to qualify, there is no President pro tempore to act as President under subsection (b) of this section, then the officer of the United States who is highest on the following list, and who is not under disability to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President shall act as President: Secretary of State ….”

(8) Notably, Section 19(d)(1) does not condition the Secretary of State’s assumption of the powers and duties of the office of President on resignation of her current office, nor does elevation of the Secretary of State raise any constitutional issue of interbranch appointment.

(9) The term of office of the Secretary of State does not automatically terminate at noon on the 20th day of January.

(10) On January 20, 2009, Condoleeza Rice was (and is) still the Secretary of State.

(11) Accordingly, from 12:00 noon until 12:01 p.m. (when Vice President Biden took the oath of office and became Vice President), Condoleeza Rice was momentarily the Acting President of the United States, our first African-American President.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I was really curious about the specifics of the second time Obama was sworn into presidency.
I have heard that there was no book at all.
If the first time was technically not lawful according to the misplaced "faithfully,"
there is absolutely no significance in Obama placing his hand on the Bible in the first place. This would basically be a show.
I do hope this whole mishap was an honest mistake.

In addition, I wonder if he truly is a Muslim or a Christian.
Nobody has any proof that he is a Christian other than him going to Church and his own words. I do not actually find this to be proof though, only suggestions.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by beaverg
(11) Accordingly, from 12:00 noon until 12:01 p.m. (when Vice President Biden took the oath of office and became Vice President), Condoleeza Rice was momentarily the Acting President of the United States, our first African-American President.

Ha! Quite remarkable. That was not planned!

Nice find

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Quick correction... Obama didn't take over until he was sworn in so the line of succession ended up leaving Condi Rice acting president for a few minutes... Take that Obama!

That's your interpretation.

What Article II Section 1 Clause 8 says is: Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation

It says execution of his office - it suggests that the Office was already his, but he can only carry out his executive duties after taking the oath.

In fact, if you read the Section 1 of the 20th Amendment this is what it says: The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Obama's term began at noon when President Bush's term expired, the 20th Amendment is clear about this.

So Obama was already President at noon, he simply couldn't exercise his executive duties.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Can we, for the record, just say that it was Alexander Haig?

I mean all the the man really, really wanted to be able to say he was president even if just for a day. Is that too much to ask?

Oh and he wanted to kill Spiro Agnew and maybe kick George H. W. Bush in the teeth too, but that is about it.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by converge
That's your interpretation.

Oh c'mon, we all know the only one that matters is Michelle's.

Did anyone notice any small injured animals fleeing the area around noon?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

No... they'll grab on to that line about him not using a bible and try to say he used a Koran instead... you watch...

Yes, I can see that coming up.

Well spotted!

It was reported that he didn't use any religous text. No Bible or Koran. So him be a Muslim is thrown out the window.

I think we elected our first Black atheist President.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I think we elected our first Black atheist President.

Even if that was the case, he wouldn't be the first

I bet there have been quite a few who weren't religious or even believed in god, but had to play the part just to be elected.

And the same goes for Congressmen and Senators.

I have a dream: that one day an openly atheist black gay woman can be President of the United States.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by converge

You're right, it's my interpretation and I'm reaching. The Amendment doesn't explicitly state that the oath must be taken before he can be declared president so there's no reason to believe Condi was actually acting president between 12:00-?, Smoking_Gun.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I always found that picture heartbreaking, because the look on Jaqueline's face makes me think that this was the moment when it actually set in that her husband was dead.

I'm inclined to believe that Jackie Kennedy knew her husband was dead at the moment his head exploded in her lap.

Certainly, standing there watching and listening to Johnson take the oath would have been an extremely painful moment.

Oh goodness, a little sympathy...

Of course she "knew" it then, but if you have every been through a traumatic event, there is a difference between knowing intellectually that something has happened, and the moment when the emotional impact hits.

I meant, it looks like that picture captured the moment when she finally realized that the things that had happened, actually happened.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by converge

It's kind of sad how hung up we get on the religion of our politicians, I really do not care what they beleive, so long as they do not show the members and ideals of their religion undue priority when making their political decisions.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

Wouldn't it deliciously evil if the first oath was taken over a bible, just for the cameras...but the second oath, the real one, was sworn over a koran using his legal name barry soetoro.

I wouldn't put it past this dirty usurper.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

You're right, it's my interpretation and I'm reaching. The Amendment doesn't explicitly state that the oath must be taken before he can be declared president so there's no reason to believe Condi was actually acting president between 12:00-?.

You see, the idea that someone else was President because Obama hadn't taken the oath yet is a self-defeating one:

Did Condi take the President's oath of office? No. Did Biden take the President's oath of office? Did Robert Gates? Did Hillary?

The reality is that George Bush was the President of the United States until noon, automatically after that Obama became President as specified in the 20th Amendment, but he just couldn't exercise his executive duties until he took the oath as specified by Article II Section 1 Clause 8.

And as far as I'm aware Obama didn't issue any orders or signed any bills between 12:00 and 12:05, so I think there is no crisis or confusion here

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkcaw
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

Wouldn't it deliciously evil if the first oath was taken over a bible, just for the cameras...but the second oath, the real one, was sworn over a koran using his legal name barry soetoro.

I wouldn't put it past this dirty usurper.
\

See? I told you this woudl come up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join