It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama is sworn in for second time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Obama is sworn in for second time

news.bbc.co.uk

Barack Obama has been sworn in as US president for the second time in two days, because one word was given out of order during Tuesday's ceremony.

The Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, John Roberts, administered the oath again at the White House.

The decision to repeat the oath was taken out of an abundance of caution, an official said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Does this mean that when we saw Obama take the oath it was not real, that is a kinda strange feeling.

None of us witnessed the new President being sworn in, is it possible that there could be some sort of conspiracy in the air.

I mean I know it was a simple mistake, but I am sure a lot of people will be bemused and maybe disapointed.

Kinda strange.

Regards S_G

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Probably just to stop someone from challenging his legitimacy over the fumble the first time.

Very strange, but not the first time a prestident had been sworn in away from the public

Johnson comes to mind... sworn in on a plane if I recall.

Not that that isn't any more conspiratorial.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx
Does this mean that when we saw Obama take the oath it was not real, that is a kinda strange feeling.

None of us witnessed the new President being sworn in, is it possible that there could be some sort of conspiracy in the air.

There's no conspiracy, this has happened in the past too (Prof. Jonathan Turley talks about it on his blog).

Basically, like so many other Constitutional matters, there is not a consensus amongst Constitutional lawyers on this and some say the Oath should be taken again say just to be safe.

But even before Obama took the Oath, he was already President. President Bush's term ended at noon, President Obama only took the Oath at 12:05 or something like that.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by converge]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

That is correct, Johnson was sworn in on the plane ride back to DC. And yes, I believe the re-swearing in of Obama was to stop the detractors from crying about the flub.

So now that he is sworn in twice, does that mean he is limited to just one term now? Hope that beats Rush and them to the punch.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar

So now that he is sworn in twice, does that mean he is limited to just one term now?

Thats was my first thought, gave myself a chuckle!

But I bet that there will be someone out there claiming it is all a farce.

Regards S_G

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
If I remember Johnson was also the only president to be sworn in by a female judge, she was basically grabbed off of the streets due to the emergency.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar

So now that he is sworn in twice, does that mean he is limited to just one term now?

Thats was my first thought, gave myself a chuckle!

But I bet that there will be someone out there claiming it is all a farce.

Regards S_G

No... they'll grab on to that line about him not using a bible and try to say he used a Koran instead... you watch...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This was the right move.

We wont have to discuss the implications had it not been redone.

Incidentally, on this related story, I think it positive Obama's reaction to Biden's comments.

Makes me trust Obama just a little bit more.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by loam]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Very interesting!

The Presidency is enthralling and events like this only illustrate the importance of our system.

- Boat

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If Obama was not legaly President, would that leave Hillary Clinton in charge?

Who is second in comand?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone

Very interesting!

The Presidency is enthralling and events like this only illustrate the importance of our system.

- Boat

I always found that picture heartbreaking, because the look on Jaqueline's face makes me think that this was the moment when it actually set in that her husband was dead.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

No... they'll grab on to that line about him not using a bible and try to say he used a Koran instead... you watch...

Yes, I can see that coming up.

Well spotted!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Johnson's case is different because there was already a President with a legit term, but Kennedy was shot.

Remember that in 1963, the 25th Amendment wasn't ratified yet. The 25th Amendment was mostly introduced because Article II Section 1 Clause 6 of the Constitution was vague.

And here's the probable reason why Johnson took the Oath:

The wording of this clause caused much controversy at the time it was first used. When William Henry Harrison died in office, a debate arose as to whether or not the Vice President actually becomes President, or if he would just inherit the powers, thus becoming an Acting President. Harrison's Vice President, John Tyler, believed that he had the right to become President. However, many Senators argued that he only had the right to assume the powers of the presidency long enough to call for a new election. Because the wording of the clause is so vague, it was impossible for either side to prove its point. Tyler ended up taking the Oath of Office and became President, setting a precedent that is followed to this day. Tyler's precedent made it possible for Vice Presidents Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman, and Lyndon B. Johnson to ascend to the presidency.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
True Converge, I was just trying to make the point that they both took the official oath out of the eyes of the public.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Who is second in comand?

Please don't add to the speculation. The 20th Amendment deals with this.

The terms of the President and Vice-President end at noon as specified in Section 1, meaning Obama started his term when President Bush's expired.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

I always found that picture heartbreaking, because the look on Jaqueline's face makes me think that this was the moment when it actually set in that her husband was dead.

I'm inclined to believe that Jackie Kennedy knew her husband was dead at the moment his head exploded in her lap.

Certainly, standing there watching and listening to Johnson take the oath would have been an extremely painful moment.

There is no doubt that Obama was lawfully sworn in yesterday, but given the propensity of some to seize upon anything, regardless of how flimsy, to call into question the legitimacy of authority, it was only prudent that the oath be re-administered.

[edit on 2009/1/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
He couldn't even get the very first thing he did right.
Where's the condemnation? lf Bush flubbed the oath it would make catastrophic headlines for four years. This is the first page of the Obamaism scrap book. He changed the presidential seal during his campaign now he tried to change the oath. What is next????

Lolololool very funny stuff.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

Could you be any more misinformed?

Serious.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Who is second in comand?

The line goes President, vice President, Speaker of the House, Pro tem of the Senate and then Secretary of State.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join