It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's Millimetron Space Observatory -The Search for Astro-engineering in the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Russia's Millimetron Space Observatory -The Search for Astro-engineering in the Universe

www.dailygalaxy.com

Russia has a new space mission in preparation that can be used for the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. The project Millimetron is a millimeter and sub-millimeter space observatory with a 10 meter diameter mirror, very sensitive receivers for single dish mode and will be used for orbiting VLBI (Very Long Base Interferometer). This telescope would be convenient for a very sensitive all sky survey with the possibility of constructing images of sources with a very high angular resolution. The mission will be useful for the search for astro-engineering constructions in the universe.

The goal of the project is to construct a space observatory operating in millimeter, sub-millimeter and infrared wavelength ranges using 12-m cryogenic telescope. The observatory will provide possibility to conduct astronomical observations with super high sensitivity (down to nanoJansky level) in a single dish mode, and observations with super high angular resolution.

The space-based observatory will also make it possible to look for the signatures of wormholes at the center of large galaxies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.universetoday.com

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Over the years SETI has been a waste of time and money with no results at all. At least Russia will try something different and I hope they find something. SETI has been concentrating mainly on radio signals from space, however, why would a more advance civilization to ours still use radio signals? attempting to find of astroengineering by an alien race can be more successful than current attempts by SETI…. What do you guys think?

www.dailygalaxy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I found this part of the article very interesting.

. In an engrossing entry I read in last week's Carnival of Space Week 86, Dr Bruce Cordell (21st Century Waves) discussed the apparent paradox between UFOs and Fermi's Paradox (in a nutshell: if aliens have visited our planet, as UFO sightings would lead us to believe, why haven't we intercepted any kind of signal via SETI?). I was most interested with Cordell's thoughts on optical communications that could be used by extraterrestrials to communicate with a pre-radio communication human era. Apparently, in 40 years, mankind could be generating very bright signals using 30 terrawatt optical beacons for pre-radio civilizations to see over 10 light years away, brighter than their brightest star. If there are advanced civilizations out there, why have we not seen their optical transmissions?

We can also try to communicate with other civilizations through this optical beacon method.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I do not understand how it is all working but I am glad something new is being tried, and I hope we will hear the results of it when it starts working.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

I agree with you. There are different technologies that can be used to try to find Alien life. SETI has not been trying hard enough and a different approach by Russia is more than welcome

new topics

top topics

join