It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's next-generation warplane to make maiden flight in 2009

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
New 5th generation fighter jet is coming fast to production from Sukhoi... Started in 2007, soon taking first flight... Hmmmm...

ASTRAKHAN, January 21 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's first fifth-generation warplane will make its maiden flight before the end of this year, the deputy prime minister in charge of arms procurement said on Wednesday.

"We expect the plane to take to the skies no later than the end of this year," Sergei Ivanov told a news conference after a meeting of the Military-Industrial Commission.

Earlier plans set 2010 for the first tests of the new fighter, which will feature high maneuverability and stealth to ensure air superiority and precision in destroying ground and sea targets.

en.rian.ru...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
As Reinhardt would keep asking, "When is the completion date?"

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This is the Sukhoi SU-37 Terminator - they are refering to...right?

Sukhoi SU-37 Terminator - doing kulbit (Summervault)

Su-37 extreme manuevrability demo

This is the plane that made most of the european observers # theire pants, seriously, this is what Norway should have bought, then converted for NATO weapons.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Phoebus]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's some pilot in those videos. Proof that Russia is hot on the tail of the US - this thing is probably less expensive and relies less on computers than F22 JSF etc but is more manuverable by the looks of things.

Russians could always out dogfight the americans anyway. No amount of tech makes up for old fashioned skill in a dogfight.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoebus

No, that was never meant to be anything but a demonstrator. This should be the PAK-FA they are talking about. Personally I'll believe it when it flies. They've changed the design and changed the dates for the program so many times in the last few years.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The PAK-FA is stil in paper design, they don't even have a mock-up wind tunnel test of it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
And the SU-37 has been flying for over 5 years. They wouldn't be making a big announcement about it flying if it was that.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well, the SU-37 Terminator is still the worlds most manuverable fighter, with extremly low speed capabilities, observed at 150 kts during the kulpit (Summervault manuver) on it's famous airshow where the pilot asked the US team for a dogfight vs the F-22 Raptor, and the US delegation was in shock due to what they had seen.

Whlie the PAK-FA, is not likly going to be used by the russians at all, seems more and more likly that it's to be a pure low-cost high manuver fighter for export purpuses.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoebus
Well, the SU-37 Terminator is still the worlds most manuverable fighter, with extremly low speed capabilities, observed at 150 kts during the kulpit (Summervault manuver) on it's famous airshow where the pilot asked the US team for a dogfight vs the F-22 Raptor, and the US delegation was in shock due to what they had seen.

Most maneuverable modern fighter aircraft is probably the MiG-29 OVT aka MiG-35 followed likely by the Su-47 when it comes down to low-speed maneuverability.

Whlie the PAK-FA, is not likly going to be used by the russians at all, seems more and more likly that it's to be a pure low-cost high manuver fighter for export purpuses.

PAK-FA will replace Su-27 and MiG-29 in terms of air superiority roles. It's intended for F-22-esque tasks including supercruise, BVR-orientation, and stealth capabilities. Low cost is definitely a target for the program and if the Russians meet cost targets then this thing would be quite affordable. And plausibly more maneuverable than Su-37.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Su-37 has been flying since 1996.

The Su-37 production model is supposed to be the Su-35BM, but there are only 2 and they're still in prototype stage.

As far as low speed maneuverability goes, it's toss up I think between F-22 and Su-47. Maybe throw the Typhoon in there if you shave all the external fuel tanks off.

PAK-FA has been "in the works" for how long now? 10 years? STILL no prototype?

Russia is either lying about the PAK-FA, or they're very good at keeping it a secret, I've seen nothing about the PAK-FA set in stone. All I've seen are concepts and models.

Maybe I'm missing something?

The Ruskies have gone through so many different variants on the same airframe, it might just be better to scrap the whole deal and build a new one.

I honestly believe the PAK-FA is going to end up being a repackaged Su-35 with a far more advanced avionics suite and better engines. Maybe they'll fool around with the structure a little, much like the transition McDonnell/Boeing made with the Hornet to Super Hornet.

C'mon Russia, lets see some genuine progress!

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

Unless the Typhoon is fitted with vectored thrust nozzles, it won't be able to hang with either the Raptor or Su. I do think it is the most maneuverable non-vectoring fighter, though.

Anybody know of any plans to do this?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I agree! I miss the old Russia (minus the communism). Surprise us, Mother Russia!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Su-37 has been flying since 1996.

Not anymore due to one off the prototypes crashed and the other converted to SU-35 standards. (Not the BM standard offcourse.)

The Su-37 production model is supposed to be the Su-35BM

wow! I expected more knowledge on this area from you man! The 37 is an upgraded normal 35 with foreign avionics AKA export model. the 35BM is an upgraded 35.

but there are only 2 and they're still in prototype stage.

There arent off the 37 infact they dont excist anymore. look at earlier reply why.

As far as low speed maneuverability goes, it's toss up I think between F-22 and Su-47.

Ad the Mig-35+tvc, SU-35BM and SU-30--- variations...

PAK-FA has been "in the works" for how long now? 10 years? STILL no prototype?

The F-22 project started in the 1980's... So i think it must be hard to make a stealth airframe that still delivers performances off older aircraft who dont need to worry about stealth... and you must consider the conditions those engineers have to work so... i give em 2 more years at max to produce a prototype. after that its a different ballgame all togheter.

Russia is either lying about the PAK-FA, or they're very good at keeping it a secret, I've seen nothing about the PAK-FA set in stone. All I've seen are concepts and models.

I think it is the latter but ye, i would have expected more info off the PAK FA program by now...

Maybe I'm missing something?

The Ruskies have gone through so many different variants on the same airframe, it might just be better to scrap the whole deal and build a new one.

I kinda like that thought to make final versions off the mig-29/35 and SU-35BM to rename them into Mig-39 and Su-37BM to make nice platforms and start all over again in more economic favourable times.

I honestly believe the PAK-FA is going to end up being a repackaged Su-35 with a far more advanced avionics suite and better engines. Maybe they'll fool around with the structure a little, much like the transition McDonnell/Boeing made with the Hornet to Super Hornet.

Sounds exactly off the transistion from SU-35 to 35BM LOL!
But the PAK FA has a new stealth airframe with 35BM performances in the beginning (Stage 1 off the project) and make new engines radar and weapons to complete the cycle (Stage 2 to make it a true 5th gen AC)

I agree but it could be that Russia doesnt want to release too much info due to national defence. Because NATO is watching them veeeery carefully.

[edit on 24/1/2009 by James R. Hawkwood]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The ability to fly and flip is great..but can you fight the aircraft like that? Can your weapons systems slew and aquire target data..and give you a first shot solution? Not sure about that..I would rather have a missile that fired F O D at anyone close enough to my 6 to bother me..and a blinding pulse of EMR to blind radar and targeting systems meanwhile its firewall the throttles and go..A missile system which clears your six would be sweet...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUNRAY06The ability to fly and flip is great..but can you fight the aircraft like that? Can your weapons systems slew and aquire target data..and give you a first shot solution?

Well the manueverabillity is more for dogfighting and to avoid missiles to a certain extent. as long as the radar is active and the optical devices are working it can still aquire data quickly enough.

For the rest it is just pure show to show how manueverable the plane is.

Not sure about that..I would rather have a missile that fired F O D at anyone close enough to my 6 to bother me..and a blinding pulse of EMR to blind radar and targeting systems meanwhile its firewall the throttles and go..A missile system which clears your six would be sweet...

I am not sure what you mean with those words but from what i can understand is that you want to have a helm cueing system wich will do more off less does the same job as TVC does in CQC but then upgraded to do the stuff you want.

Iff you meant that then this plane, since it will be derived off the 35BM minus its airframe, will have it.

[edit on 24/1/2009 by James R. Hawkwood]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Read more intently, there are two Su-35BM prototypes, that's what I said, that's what I meant, and I'm not wrong about that.

You're telling me an Su-30MKI with thrust vectoring can match an Su-47 and F-22 in maneuverability?

I know the history of the Su-37, the crash of one, and its transition to an Su-35 variant. Next time I won't paraphrase its history.

The Su-35BM is STILL an Su-35 aircraft, and the Su-37 was converted to an Su-35 once more, the Su-35BM's technology came from the technology demonstrated on the Su-37.

I wasn't wrong about the Su-37 flying since 1996, first flight was in 1996, it flew in the Farnborough Airshow of that, or the following year.

I'm your friend when it comes to Russian aircraft, there is no need to argue, I think we all understand the Flanker history.

As far as production craft go, the Su-47 and F-22 are the most maneuverable in the field. The Su-35BM is still a prototype, and the Su-30 fairs pretty well for a STRIKE aircraft.

The Su-47's designation changed in 2002 from S-37 when it became production, however I don't think anymore airframes have been procured since the designation change.

I don't think there are more than two squadrons of standard Su-35's either.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Could we go back to the main title here...

The plane refering to in the lead article, as the 5th gen. fighter starting production.

It has to be the Sukhoi SU-35BM ??

Or could it be the Mig-35 with OVT technology (remember the Mig-29OVT?) , as the Mig-35 is Classified as a 4.5gen. fighter?

There is no way as I see it, that the PAK-FA is a 5th gen. fighter.
PAK-FA has to be a 6th gen. or a stopgap between 5th gen/6th gen.?

**Editorial
Did a Wiki on "Russian 5th gen fighter"

Wiki says that the 5th gen fighter is:
Sukhoi PAK-FA (T-50) / HAL FGFA

The russian plane is a single seater, while India's HAL FGFA, will be a 2 seater, but with

minimum common technology will be developed

Wiki links:
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Phoebus]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HatTrick
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

Unless the Typhoon is fitted with vectored thrust nozzles, it won't be able to hang with either the Raptor or Su. I do think it is the most maneuverable non-vectoring fighter, though.

Anybody know of any plans to do this?

Thrust vectoring isn't the only way to achieve high maneuverability.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Originally posted by James R. Hawkwood

Well the manueverabillity is more for dogfighting and to avoid missiles to a certain extent. as long as the radar is active and the optical devices are working it can still aquire data quickly enough.

For the rest it is just pure show to show how manueverable the plane is.

At airshow speeds. The question is- how maneuverable is the aircraft at high subsonic, transonic, and supersonic speeds. No aircraft is going to be doing Cobras, Kulbits, flips, etc... at high speeds.

Secondly, if you're within the NEZ of a modern missile, no 9G maneuver is going to avoid a 60-80G missile travelling Mach 4+.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join