It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban warn Obama: Leave Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Taliban warn Obama: Leave Afghanistan

www.csmonitor.com

As President Barack Obama steps into the White House and into history, the Taliban have a message for him: Leave Afghanistan.

"The insurgent Taliban said Wednesday that US President Barack Obama should learn from the Soviet defeat in Afghanistan and pull his troops out of the country to allow Afghans to decide their own fate," reports The News, a popular English-language daily in Pakistan.

"We have no problem with Obama," a spokesman for the extremist Islamist movement [said] after the inauguration of the new US president. However, "he must learn lessons from [former US president George W. Bush] and before that the Soviets," Yousuf Ahmadi said by telephone.

Their remarks come as militants in neighboring Pakistan widened a bloody campaign in the country's North West Frontier Province, blowing up girls' schools and engaging in pitched battles with Pakistani military forces.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I say Obama should heed the Taliban's warning. Indeed its similar to Soviet defeat. The best thing Obama can do is pull troops out to save lives and treasury. There is nothing wrong with retreating from a warzone. Obama will be portray as the man who save America from quagmire in Afghanistan. The Taliban has shown that they can never be defeated as long as they have faith in Allah. Destroying those girls' schools in Pakistan shows their determination never to bow down to imperialism.

www.csmonitor.com

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Whoa, yeah, Obama ought to pull out of A-stan.

Because nothing says, "We're tough"!" more than blowing up a girls school.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I agree, though. It's not cool if they have nukes and things, but other than that and in terms of internal politics... well, I know we want revenge and all that, but it's not OUR country, they're not going to have our ideals...

America needs to stop being the babysitter.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I agree. The US troops don't really want to be there and the Taliban doesn't really want them there...at all.

This isn't America's war. If the Middle Eastern countries don't like the Taliban they can deal with them themselves or sit back and suffer the consequences.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It is a difficult dilemma. Once Obama start sending in more troops I expect the casualties to rise. I really believe the Afghans will start to see us as an occupying force. I hope he stabilizes the place ASAP and gets our troops home for a well deserved break. As for the threat, well, if they have the cajones tell them we will help to fulfill their ultimate dream of going to their final destination.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
afghanistan is a great place to use big bombs like the Neutron. Do it Obama

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am pretty sure Obama is going to do exactly the opposite. He is going to discharge most troops who come home from Iraq, but it also appears he will create a surge of his own in Afghanistan.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yes, Mick, that is the plan. And if we had stayed with Afghanistan in 2003, we'd be all done there. Obama is not going to be intimidated by the Taliban. Women there are getting a taste of freedom and they're not going to want to give it up.

80% of Afghan marriages are by force. And now you guys think we should just leave?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Yes, Mick, that is the plan. And if we had stayed with Afghanistan in 2003, we'd be all done there. Obama is not going to be intimidated by the Taliban. Women there are getting a taste of freedom and they're not going to want to give it up. 80% of Afghan marriages are by force. And now you guys think we should just leave?
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What the heck is this? We need to stay the hell out of everywhere. Pull everyone back. WE DON"T HAVE THE MONEY.

Let the rest of the world solve their own problems. All the sudden Obama is President and now it's cool to have war?

What the?!?!!

Years of complaining on the expense of the Iraq war and now this?

I don't know what to say anymore..i really don't.

Democrat/Republicans...ALL THE DAMN SAME!

[edit on 21-1-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I do think we should completely alter our methods of fighting in
Afghanistan, or if we can't change our tactics, then we should get out.

These Taliban turd-knockers are nothing. But with our Generals bunker mentality and "big number" mindset, there is no frikking way we can win.

Our generals like large numbers, as large numbers can conceal incompetence. Large enough numbers conceal gross incompetence.

We don't have the right ground mix, nor the right air mix.

It's one thing to sit on urass, drink coffee, in your command headquarters and push markers around.

It's another to get off urass and into the field, and actually lead.

No. If we can't change how we conduct this war, then we may as well get out.

And won't that make us proud.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

and when did it become americas descision who determines who marries who, just because 80% of marrages are forced.
the US has a large divorce rate, should the Taliban come in and teach the US a lesson about marrage?

The US won't pull out, there is too much opium there to let the taliban destroy, Oh yes, the taliban destroy opium crops because it is against their religion, when the taliban was in full swing, opium production was at its lowest, although I bet we now find conflicting reports on that.

1996-2001 is when the taliban ran the show and in 2001 production was almost wiped out, take a look at cultivation levels now. highest they have ever been.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

I think she was just using that as a plus side. You see, we are in Afghanistan because of 9/11. Unfortunately, Bush was so preoccupied with Iraq, that he forgot that his main goal should have been the capture of al Qaeda's top leaders (who were in Afghanistan but have probably since moved to Pakistan).

Afghanistan is real front of the war on terror - not Iraq. That's why we are there, and that's why Obama is going to move most of our troops there.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Nail on head.Its all about the poppies..oh and bringing democracy

And the real faux war on terror is pakistan...but America gives them money..sooo..

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
1996-2001 is when the taliban ran the show and in 2001 production was almost wiped out, take a look at cultivation levels now. highest they have ever been.

Did any reading about the Taliban?

Sure, they wiped out the poppy.

They also closed movie theaters, banned music, stopped people from displaying pictures or portraits, made people black out their windows so no one could see any women, kept girls from going to school, or home school them, pretty much wiped out anything that had to do with culture.

Oh, and slaughtered 8000 civilians in Mazar-i-Sharif, among other places.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I don't really know what's wrong with people sometimes.

WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO RAMP UP ANOTHER WAR. THIS COUNTRY IS TRILLIONS IN DEBT AND IF WE DON'T CURB IT SOON IT WE WILL BE BANKRUPT.

Can I make it any clearer than that? This is flagrant stupidity. Stop talking about how Obama should send more troops to Afghanistan. This country can't even afford to pay its own bills right now.

Also, I'd love to hear how Obama is going to implement his 'Universal Health Care Plan' when there is no money.

People, open your eyes. We can't afford any new programs, or experimental ventures, we must cut billions in expenditure in order to avoid our country collapsing.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by JipStix]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JipStix

Thank you!

Star!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The crying shame is that we have the numbers. We just don't have senior leaders who can lead, the right troop/aircraft mix, nor the guts to make this happen, and get it over with quickly.

No nation has ever benefitted from an extended conflict.

The goal is victory, not persistence.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JipStix
I don't really know what's wrong with people sometimes.

WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO RAMP UP ANOTHER WAR. THIS COUNTRY IS TRILLIONS IN DEBT AND IF WE DON'T CURB IT SOON IT WE WILL BE BANKRUPT.

Can I make it any clearer than that? This is flagrant stupidity. Stop talking about how Obama should send more troops to Afghanistan. This country can't even afford to pay its own bills.

Also, I'd love to hear how Obama is going to implement his 'Universal Health Care Plan' when there is no money.

People, open your eyes. We can't afford any new programs, we must cut billions in expenditure to avoid collapsing!

It isn't "ANOTHER WAR". It's an ongoing war. Been fighting there since 2001. I'm sure you read about it in the papers.

Look on the bright side, defense industries will be great place to get a job in the near future.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

I say Obama should heed the Taliban's warning. Indeed its similar to Soviet defeat. The best thing Obama can do is pull troops out to save lives and treasury. There is nothing wrong with retreating from a warzone. Obama will be portray as the man who save America from quagmire in Afghanistan. The Taliban has shown that they can never be defeated as long as they have faith in Allah. Destroying those girls' schools in Pakistan shows their determination never to bow down to imperialism.

www.csmonitor.com

I couldn't disgree with you more. Yes, lets just go home in defeat and shame and show the world we never finish what we start. I serve and it scares me how the American people think they know what is best for the troops. You don't, sorry to say. If you really want to support the troops,LET US DO OUR JOBS AND WIN THIS! We are the ones going there and fighting, not you. I for one will not and can not bow to the taliban and just leave so we can make them happy in hopes they'll leave us alone.They'll just come back and attack us again because they'll see us a weak.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join