It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America shows lot's of class....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
For people saying that Americans were rude in booing Bush and Cheney, I would totally disagree. My American friends, take a look at what these people did to your country, at home and abroad. I think that the Americans that booed were justified. I think that they all showed a lot of restraint. You know if security was lax it would have been more than booing. I have to admit that I had mixed feelings at first regarding the booing but I have to admit earlier in the broadcast I gave Bush the finger and shouted at my Tv, something to the effect of "Finally , your out of there, with some expletives thrown in. Bush and Cheney deserve no ones respect! As Pres and VP, you need to earn the respect of the American people. Something IMO the gruesome twosome did NOT accomplish. I hope sometime in the future that the both of them will be tried, and sentenced to jail for war crimes or crimes against the American people. Just a Canadian point of view.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There is no excusing certain behavior in public. Hate if you must, but use civilized methods of demonstration. We as a nation have lost our sense of shame. And it showed.

Many Americans are crude, without decorum, and it doesn't just reflect on them, it reflects on us all.

When cameras are on, to use a bit of civility is not asking too much. They don't just reflect themselves and their lack of respect for themselves, they show a disrespect for us all.

I'd sure like to check back with these individuals in another year or two.

See how happy they are with this President.

See how proud they are.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper

Give it 'till September or so and see if Peggy the Moocher still is madly in love with Obama. See if it has sunk in that having a black president means that she still has to pay her rent and gas.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Maybe many Americans ought to start studying up on civics so that they will know exactly why they are booing or cheering instead of believing what they are being fed. Research wouldn't hurt either.

"Without knowledge of your country's history, key texts and institutions, you don't have a frame of reference to judge the politics and policies of today," says Richard Brake, head of the institute's American Civic Literacy Program.

Earlier reports focused solely on college students; the new study expands the focus and concludes Americans across all economic, educational and political/social backgrounds are equally lacking. Among findings:

• 71% earn an F; the average score was 49%. Ages 25 to 34 had an average score of 46%; ages 45 to 64 had a 52% average. Of 164 respondents who say they have held elected office, 44% was average.

• Those with bachelor's degrees had an average score of 57% vs. 44% for those with a high-school diploma. The average score for advanced degree-holders inches up to 65%, or a D.

www.usatoday.com...

Let's face it, politics today for most people is nothing more than a popularity issue. There is plenty of evidence to show that many people really don't understand even the basics of politics. If you don't believe me quiz some people on basic questions concerning politics. You will definitely get some good laughs out of it.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Yea and if they are not happy then they should be allowed to express that unhappiness. If their choice is to boo, then have at it. There is a lot worse things you could do. Like maybe tie them in stress positions for hours on end or maybe waterboard them, or stack them naked in a pyramid. I'm sure that, would all be much classier.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The fact that anyone is surprised by the boos Bush received is just baffling to me. Clinton was booed at the inauguration of Bush in 2001 as well, though we all seem to have forgotten that.

We need to keep in mind that the crowd assembled for an inaugural address is there to support the new president, not to see the outgoing president off. And when the political views of each man are so antithetical to one another, it makes sense that the supporters of one will be the vocal detractors of the other. People are angry with our outgoing president, none moreso than the majority of Obama's supporters. To expect them to politely applaud the man they vehemently despise is unrealistic and, I believe, unfair.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I would estimate that approximately 40% of Americans would love to boo Obama, but that 40% has more class.

Those people there reminded me of summer vacation:

No class.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Yeah, I wanted to boo Obama, but was like nah, let it be a day to be happy and enjoy the smiles on people's faces, chances are those same smilies will be turned upside down in a few years anyway. So much pressure is on Obama, so much hope thrown onto him, that lets face it no one man can handle. I personally never liked Obama, but he is my president whether I like it or not and I really do not like it..lol...

Cheney was in a wheel chair and Bush was there to see Obama off as he became president. A proper amount of Decorum is necessary in Public and lets face it those people that booed lacked it immensly and need to understand that if they want respect they need to show it. And people wonder why people have less respect nowadays...

[edit on -06002009-01-21T18:28:19-06:00312009bAmerica/ChicagoWed, 21 Jan 2009 18:28:19 -0600, 1 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
For people saying that Americans were rude in booing Bush and Cheney, I would totally disagree. My American friends, take a look at what these people did to your country, at home and abroad. I think that the Americans that booed were justified. I think that they all showed a lot of restraint. You know if security was lax it would have been more than booing. I have to admit that I had mixed feelings at first regarding the booing but I have to admit earlier in the broadcast I gave Bush the finger and shouted at my Tv, something to the effect of "Finally , your out of there, with some expletives thrown in. Bush and Cheney deserve no ones respect! As Pres and VP, you need to earn the respect of the American people. Something IMO the gruesome twosome did NOT accomplish. I hope sometime in the future that the both of them will be tried, and sentenced to jail for war crimes or crimes against the American people. Just a Canadian point of view.

So, I should boo Bush because he deserves it and be thankful as a U.S. Soldier that I have a president like Obama in office? I would never boo neither man in public. I would show both the utt most respect. It's called be civil and polite and respecting the Office for which they both served and are serving now. I do not have to like neither man to still be respectful and polite to them.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I can't believe this is even being justified. I guess the moral of the story is this: if Canadians think we can act like animals, then we should.

No, that's not the choice at hand. Marking an occassion by showing restraint with our frustrations and elation with our hopes is what this day was for. And that crowd blew it.

I find it ironic that the one moment they all weathered the elements in order to bear witness to history, they ruined it their own way. They all were so caught up in the moment that they forgot they were gathering to watch the swearing in of a 'black' president. A last screw-you to Bush happened to be icing on the cake.

The saddest thing of all is this should not have mattered that much. They should have been gathered to see foremost the man most capable for the job on his own, and that might have reminded them to be more civil. Even Obama knows this. He's said it time and time again in his speeches, and he's already trying to be an example - but if you want your real indicator of him being a success or not, look to the people and see if they can understand what he is trying to do by being respectful of Bush in the first place.

They don't get it, and I don't think this will ever change.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Merkel

So , you enjoy this whole war thing. Being a soldier I guess you are afraid Obama will make peace. Well I'm not a soldier and I'm fed up with war. Hopefully soon , some other allie will step up and we'll be able to get our Canadian soldiers out of Afghanistan. A place you Americans stuck us while you went off to fight the war on terror in Iraq??? And our Soldiers are doing a fine job.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
So , you enjoy this whole war thing. Being a soldier I guess you are afraid Obama will make peace.

Oh the ignorance. :shk:

When someone feels that they wish to serve their country and protect their country and it's allies, that's not 'enjoying this whole war thing'. And soldiers WANT PEACE. That's why they are in the military. To keep the peace through strength if at all possible.

Well I'm not a soldier

Cosnidering that you have no freak'n idea what a soldier does or the reasons a persons enlists ... i'm not surprised.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
There is no excusing certain behavior in public. Hate if you must, but use civilized methods of demonstration. We as a nation have lost our sense of shame. And it showed.

Many Americans are crude, without decorum, and it doesn't just reflect on them, it reflects on us all.

When cameras are on, to use a bit of civility is not asking too much. They don't just reflect themselves and their lack of respect for themselves, they show a disrespect for us all.

See how happy they are with this President.

See how proud they are.

I'll bet they'll be happier with a president who hasn't assassinated their character internationally.

You talk about a more civil method of protest...
But you conveniently forget that Bush made it almost impossible to speak freely against government.

The Bush administration planted people within groups, to spy and prevent protest.
He made it a "terrorist threat" to protest in the streets.
He tried to ban documentaries that portrayed him in a less than glowing light.
He created databases containing the details of people attending protests, for which they have experienced harassment from law enforcement since.
He eroded civil liberties so far as to include a civil rights free zone surrounding your country for 100 miles, encompassing most major cities.
He encourage the practice of spying on civilians, enabling millions of people to be monitored in every method of communication.

Even if you deny all of these things, you cannot deny that he forced a divide in America. You are either a blindly following "Patriot, accepting of everything the government does and says, or you are a "potential terrorist" deserving of intrusion and control for the safety of those who do follow blindly.

What I saw during the inauguration was millions of people all collectively breathing a sigh of relief that their monsters were finally evicted from power.
They wanted to show the world that they are not all dumb, blindly following, patriotism obsessed, silent people. Which is how Americans have been portrayed over the last 8 years.

Sometimes I just wish an American like you could see things from outside your country. It would be great if you could understand how everyone else has viewed America for the last 8 years. You'd be truly stunned and shocked to see how intelligent, free-thinking people view your country.

For years we all wondered why you allowed your elected officials such insane powers without argument. We all gasped in amazement every time Bush stood on a podium and bleated "terrorism" over and over, saying nothing else, and you all swallowed it without question.
Then, over the last couple of years, we were all stunned at the realization that you've been controlled and manipulated to the degree that there were dissenting voices, they were just often silenced by the fear of what the fanatical "patriots" might do to them in return for speaking their minds.

I wholeheartedly support every person who booed Bush.
They booed for every person held by America without charge or legal representation.
They booed for every person in Iraq and Afghanistan who saw their families and lives torn apart in a theft of Oil.
They booed for every person around the world who heard a US Government official state that they had the right to kidnap anyone in the world and hold them indefinitely without charge or legal rights.
They booed for every child killed in Gaza while American powers fed the war machine with more support.

And personally, they booed for me, a person who's watched Bush destroy the standing of America over the last 8 years and watched the UK government following their lead. Hopefully this will now end, and we can divert our government away from the fear-mongering tactics seen in recent years, and toward enforcing freedoms rather than limiting them.

Bye bye Bush, good riddance.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Awesome, post could not have said it better myself. No soldier enjoys seeing the war or worse being in the war. Seeing your buddies get blown up or shot in the head. Not knowing whether to grab him/her or leave them there. Not knowing if they are dead or alive. I have the utmost respect for them and I will be damned if anyone does naything stupid and say to a soldier that served that you enjoy war.

Soldiers come back changed and they do not know who they are. Its a sad thing.

pigwithoutawig

Not sure if you were aware but Obama wants to bring the fighting to Afghanastan. And according to history no one has ever successfully invaded or taken over Afghanastan.

Mind you we did not find WMD, but we were able to get a dicator out of power. Look at what he was doing? If I remember right, he threw 10 people through a wood chipper and killd thousands of others. So if anything can be taken from this it is that we were able to prevent further deaths from a tyrant.

Deny Ignorance mate....

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

I know all about Afghanistan, and I know we Canadians have been there fighting the real fight ,while the Americans went to Iraq to wage an illegal war. If you wanted to get rid of Saddam, you didn't have to invade the country. There are more subtle ways to get that done. And as far as the Soldiers , I love every one of them regardless of nationality and I thank them for their selflessness.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by pigwithoutawig]

new topics

top topics

join