It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Lift Ban on Funding for Groups Providing Abortions Overseas

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I see a lot of people talking about choice. Well, IMO, we do all have a choice. Our choice is to have sex. If we have sex, pregnancy is just one of the possible outcomes of that choice. It does not matter if you use birth control, none of them are 100% effective and we are told that.

Rape and incest removes that choice and that is why I believe abortion should be an option in those cases, but otherwise, a woman made her choice already, now they have to deal with the outcome of that choice.

And this is coming from a woman who had her first child at 18, and then two beautiful girls who were both conceived while using birth control. I knew a pregnancy still could happen even with the birth control and it did twice. Now I am taking responsibility for my actions, my decisions and I thank god every day that he brought these two wonderful little girls into my life.

If you don't want children, either get your tubes tied or don't have sex. If you choose to have sex, deal with the consequences of that action, that choice you made. Sorry, but any other excuse is just that, an excuse.

All my opinion of course.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by FlyersFan

What you fail to remember, there are no stipulations here. You may be thinking of abortion in the terms of poverty, uneducated, rape etc. What about for the ones that decide to end a life simply because it is not convenient for them?
Then that's on their soul, it shouldn't be unattainable though just because some morons do stupid #. Thats like sayin there should be no weapons cause some people do bad things with them. If that's why you keep bitchin bout abortions, you probably should have been one.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Legendary Smoker]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

For all those wondering about abortion and why I am against it.

I'm not wondering. I understand your position and respect it. But you're not JUST against abortion. In addition, you are against ANY woman making that choice for herself, isn't that true?

Because I am against abortion, as well. But I am also against legislating other women's choice to have an abortion. That's why people say you're forcing your ideas on them, because you support legislation making YOUR views the policy of everyone.

Secondly, you have stressed many times in this thread that abortion shouldn't be an option for FAMILY PLANNING. I asked you here what under what circumstances would abortion NOT be considered "family planning" and according to the meaning you posted, family planning is spacing or PREVENTION of pregnancy. Abortion doesn't even fit into the definition at all. It's like saying that an airplane should never be used as a submarine. And that's true. In fact, abortion CAN'T be used as family planning. Abortion is abortion and is, by definition, NOT "family planning". It's abortion. It's the TERMINATION of a pregnancy, not the prevention of pregnancy. So, to say that abortion shouldn't be an option for family planning (prevention of pregnancy) is really a nonsensical statement.

The Source in the OP says:

The policy, known in governmental circles as the "Mexico City policy," requires any non-governmental organization to agree before receiving U.S. funds that they will "neither perform nor actively promote abortion as a method of family planning in other nations."

So, since abortion cannot be equated to "family planning" (prevention of pregnancy) the whole thing doesn't make sense.

First and foremost, God gave you life. he breathed life into you when he created you.

That's your belief, not a fact. And that's ok. But certainly, not everyone believes that same thing. Why they should have to live according to your beliefs is the problem here.
YOU should certainly live according to your beliefs. But I will not.

And fetuses don't breath. If God "breathes" life into something (the breath of life), then a human being isn't "alive" (according to God) until he takes that first Breath. I'm just saying.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112

If you don't want children, either get your tubes tied or don't have sex. If you choose to have sex, deal with the consequences of that action, that choice you made. Sorry, but any other excuse is just that, an excuse.

And for people who live in poverty, or have aids, severly uneducated (unlike us) living in slums wit 10-15 kids and no food, crackheads and simply can't take care of the kid .. you'd say that to them too right?

I can't understand the stupidity of people with that opinion, sorry.

I agree at all costs try to raise a kid, but my god some of you need to get a grip and get some #in' perspective.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legendary Smoker

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by FlyersFan

What you fail to remember, there are no stipulations here. You may be thinking of abortion in the terms of poverty, uneducated, rape etc. What about for the ones that decide to end a life simply because it is not convenient for them?
Then that's on their soul, it shouldn't be unattainable though just because some morons do stupid #. Thats like sayin there should be no weapons cause some people do bad things with them. If that's why you keep bitchin bout abortions, you probably should have been one.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Legendary Smoker]

Chill out!! You are obviously just an angry person who is enjoying venting, for the sure pleasure of it. Your post show your lack of maturity, and lack of ability to participate in a debate forum respectfully.

If you want people to put any stock in your opinion, then I would suggest you refrain from the child like behavior you are demonstrating in your post.
Such as name calling and wishing ill to another.

Relax, go for a walk, count to ten. It is not worth making your blood pressure shoot up.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legendary Smoker

And for people who live in poverty, or have aids, severly uneducated (unlike us) living in slums wit 10-15 kids and no food, crackheads and simply can't take care of the kid .. you'd say that to them too right?

I can't understand the stupidity of people with that opinion, sorry.

I agree at all costs try to raise a kid, but my god some of you need to get a grip and get some #in' perspective.

I have a firm grip on reality thank you. Just because I see things diferrently than you does not mean my opinion has any less value or is stupid. Sorry, but it's an opinion I have a right to. (for now anyway)

We need to worry about home first and foremost. Once we deal with our own problems, then, and only then, should we worry about other countries.

The fact of the matter is, educate them on the fact that if you choose to have sex, then a baby may just appear 40 weeks later. If they still choose to have sex and a baby is produced, then why should we step in to help? They made a choice to bring a child into a world of object poverty, one filled with disease and suffering.

How does it become our responsibility to fix it? Many liberal's rant on and on about how the war kills, we have no business being in Iraq because it's not our business, but in the next breath they want us to fund abortion in third world nations and feed all the hungry of the world. Which is it? Do you want us to stay out of our neighbors business or do you want us to butt our noses into the problems in other nations? Why is it okay for you to decide which times we should step in?

As for how wide spread AIDS is in many of these countries, well guess what. that too is a possible consiquence of a woman's choice to have sex. EDUCATION is the key, both here and abroad, but right now, this funding needs to stay right here. We have AIDS right here & our OWN youth still need education to keep them being exposed to it. Why are we not using that funding to stop the spread of this disease within our own borders? Why are we not using that funding to stop the rise of pregnancy right here?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by converge

So now if I as understanding this correctly Obama is taking "our"money and sending it overseas to provide funding for non-governmental groups that perform abortions.

No, that's not exactly what's happening.

It has been suggested that one of Mr Obama’s first move as president will be to overturn the Bush administration’s ban on funding overseas organisations involved with abortion programmes. At present, no money can be distributed through the US Agency for International Development to charities and NGOs that promote, or provide information or advice about termination services.

We are already sending money to overseas organizations, Bush simply banned funding for organizations that apparently even mentioned that abortion is available or gave advice about abortion.

This is not for organizations that "perform abortions".

And that IMO is a big part of the problem. How does any POTUS expect us to continue helping other countries when we are failing in helping our own out of the nosedive the economy is taking?

I'm sorry, but this issue should of been low on the list of "must do's" because the only thing it accomplishes is appease pro-choicers & add to our ever growing national debt.

Well said. Does anyone else notice the goodie-bag of citizen appeasing presidential orders that BHO has enacted? Cutting pay of multi-millionaires in his office? Looks like he earnestly wants an extended Honeymoon to push over something that may truly piss us off...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Great choice, empower women! Men never have to deal with the consequences if they choose to do so. Religion just abolishes it because they're be less 'souls' for them.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
One question. What's the number of this "executive order"? I can't seem to find it listed. In fact I can't even find a consistant date on which he supposedly signed it. Some say yesterday, others today. Pardon me if I don't believe a damn thing fox news says but they have lied enough. Anyone have the order number? I would like to read the order myself.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Great point! All other sources list it as a possibility, but FOX just goes there.

Today is the RvW anniversary, so if FOX is right, it would happen today.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by damwel

Great point! All other sources list it as a possibility, but FOX just goes there.

Today is the RvW anniversary, so if FOX is right, it would happen today.

From L.A.Times:January 20, 2009
Reporting from Washington -- In one of his first acts as president, Barack Obama is planning to lift a rule that prevents federal money from going to international family planning groups that counsel women on abortion or perform the procedure.

Obama's repeal of the abortion aid policy is one of several executive actions he will take soon after his inauguration today, according to Obama transition aides. He is also considering lifting Bush administration restrictions on federally funded stem cell research.

link[www.latimes.com...]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thanks. Now that I know you can read my posts, I wonder why you haven't addressed my other questions and points. But it's ok.

LA Times Link

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

ya know, its just crocks me to tears over crap like this.

No, I support abortions.. what I don't support is sending our money overseas for other groups when we need the funding here at home more.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Reply to BH:
Several people have used the defense that this is only about family planning.
One poster even said that abortion should be an option. The following is a post to prove EXACTLY what you stated; that abortion does not prevent pregnancy, but it is the termination of a pregnancy.

"Secondly, you have stressed many times in this thread that abortion shouldn't be an option for FAMILY PLANNING. I asked you here what under what circumstances would abortion NOT be considered "family planning" and according to the meaning you posted, family planning is spacing or PREVENTION of pregnancy. Abortion doesn't even fit into the definition at all. It's like saying that an airplane should never be used as a submarine. And that's true. In fact, abortion CAN'T be used as family planning. Abortion is abortion and is, by definition, NOT "family planning". It's abortion. It's the TERMINATION of a pregnancy, not the prevention of pregnancy. So, to say that abortion shouldn't be an option for family planning (prevention of pregnancy) is really a nonsensical statement."

Thank you, BH for helping me illustrate my point further.

"Because I am against abortion, as well. But I am also against legislating other women's choice to have an abortion. That's why people say you're forcing your ideas on them, because you support legislation making YOUR views the policy of everyone."

But you are doing the same, supporting liegislation making your views the policy of everyone. No matter, how we look at it, it is simply our own individual opinions not fact. We are going to have to agree to disagree on the issue.

I may not ever agree with your views, but I really respect the way you get your point across being civil and treating others fairly.

Thank you for your thought provoking contributions to the debate

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Thanks. Now that I know you can read my posts, I wonder why you haven't addressed my other questions and points. But it's ok.

LA Times Link

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

Had every intention of responding to you, but was interrupted by a call from school and an ill child.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

I could not agree with you more on this. Actually couldn't have said it better myself.

For supporting abortions

For stem cell research

For sending fund out of the country

Two out of three...hmm. More than Bush ever got out of me.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Honestly?

A bunch of men angry that a woman wants to do something with her body?

Ugh..

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I seriously don't know how anyone involved in performing an abortion can even live with themselves.

A life is a life is a life, whether it be at conception, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 9 months.

How about live birth abortions? This is sad.

How anyone can be in support of this is beyond me.

*edited to fix link

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Unknown Truth]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Truth

I support it because no one should be able to make a law over what I do with the goings on in MY uterus. If you don't like it, don't have one. But don't force your opinion on me.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

I'm not forcing my opinion on you. I'm stating my own.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join