It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Lift Ban on Funding for Groups Providing Abortions Overseas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
This program is doing the exact same thing, forcing pro-choice ideal's into cultures that often have religious oposition to it.

What I oppose and was referring to was to deny just an option to those who are in exceptional circumstances. Those who didn't even have a say in getting pregnant. Rape. We're talking about countries in Africa and war-torn places where this reality isn't such a rare occurrence and is a major cause for the millions of lives lost every year due to aids, most being children.

It doesn't make much sense to deny those options when you look at it from their perspective - which not many seem to be able to do.

[edit on 21/1/09 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Good for Obama. Abortion is legal. And morals cannot and should not be legislated. IF we're giving money to other countries for medical care, abortion shouldn't be excluded.

Critics of the Mexico City Policy refer to it as the "global gag rule", arguing that, in addition to reducing the overall funding provided to particular NGOs, it closes off their access to USAID-supplied condoms and other forms of contraception.[12] This, they argue, negatively impacts the ability of these NGOs to distribute birth control, leading to a downfall in contraceptive use and from there to an increase in the rates of unintended pregnancies and abortion.[12] Critics also argue that the ban promotes restrictions on free speech as well as restrictions on accurate medical information.[13][14][15][16] The European Parliamentary Forum on Population and Development presented a petition to the United States Congress signed by 233 members condemning the policy. The forum has stated that the policy "undermines internationally agreed consensus and goals".

Source

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Removed my own post for shocking content...

[edit on 21-1-2009 by antar]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes it is legal.

It strikes me as rather arrogant to essentially say... "We do not have the support to make abortion illegal in our own country, but we will still deny that as an option to everyone else who wants our funding."

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

YES YES YES!!!

I have been so upset every since the first silent act of GWB when he entered office was to stop the aid to foreign countries which we support in birth control and pregnancy counseling.

This is a wonderful move on the part of our country. This will enable the genocidal maniacs to back off now... (They would rather wait until a fetus is 2 years old to rape and sodomize to clear their AIDS) Women and innocent young girls will not be having babies through rape, and again we can begin to make a real difference for our fellow man.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Obama!!!

THANK GOD our new President is starting off his new office with & SMART and BRILLIANT move....
The people thinking this is a BAD idea are sadly SO misinformed and uneducated on the topic, yet run around thinking they actually have a clue....

THIS act shines a WONDERFUL light on the changes President Obama is going to bring about..........I am JUMPING FOR JOY!!!

[edit on 21-1-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Good for Obama. Abortion is legal. And morals cannot and should not be legislated. IF we're giving money to other countries for medical care, abortion shouldn't be excluded.

Critics of the Mexico City Policy refer to it as the "global gag rule", arguing that, in addition to reducing the overall funding provided to particular NGOs, it closes off their access to USAID-supplied condoms and other forms of contraception.[12] This, they argue, negatively impacts the ability of these NGOs to distribute birth control, leading to a downfall in contraceptive use and from there to an increase in the rates of unintended pregnancies and abortion.[12] Critics also argue that the ban promotes restrictions on free speech as well as restrictions on accurate medical information.[13][14][15][16] The European Parliamentary Forum on Population and Development presented a petition to the United States Congress signed by 233 members condemning the policy. The forum has stated that the policy "undermines internationally agreed consensus and goals".

Source

It is legal in the United States, but is it legal in these other countries? So why should we push our laws on other countries? Why should my money, yes, MY MONEY, YOUR MONEY, OUR MONEY go to support a program outside of the US when we have needs here that are not being met?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You dont understand. The funding is not the issue, the reason bush stopped it was not for the moral reasons it was because it was more money in the profits for his agenda of the buddy bailout system.

Also as we grow into a world of true human potential, we will no longer see the vulnerabilities of others as separate from our responsibility.

We would no longer allow our own children to suffer, and one day all children will be respected in that same way and we will no longer turn our heads and harden our hearts against the horror that millions of compromised children are forced to endure.

Picture a world of smiling faces all over the planet, healthy, laughing, learning, working side by side to build communities based in the true fundamentals of our highest order.

No more throw away, unwanted or needed children, beautiful children, sad children. It is our responsibility to stop the maddness because what happens to 'those' children, happen to our children.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

YES YES YES!!!

I have been so upset every since the first silent act of GWB when he entered office was to stop the aid to foreign countries which we support in birth control and pregnancy counseling.

This is a wonderful move on the part of our country. This will enable the genocidal maniacs to back off now... (They would rather wait until a fetus is 2 years old to rape and sodomize to clear their AIDS) Women and innocent young girls will not be having babies through rape, and again we can begin to make a real difference for our fellow man.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Obama!!!

THANK GOD our new President is starting off his new office with & SMART and BRILLIANT move....
The people thinking this is a BAD idea are sadly SO misinformed and uneducated on the topic, yet run around thinking they actually have a clue....

THIS act shines a WONDERFUL light on the changes President is going to bring about..........I am JUMPING FOR JOY!!!

So your jumping for joy that he used his time to do something that encourages foriegn aid, all the while our country is bleeding to death? Oh yeah, I'm just so happy to know that while our economy tanks, the POTUS is using this critical time to keep the pro-choicers happy.

I'm sorry, but there were a hundred other things that deserved his attention before this. How about say our economy, the ever rising unemployment rate or how about that debt number that keeps going up as the minutes pass.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

You dont understand. The funding is not the issue, the reason bush stopped it was not for the moral reasons it was because it was more money in the profits for his agenda of the buddy bailout system.

Also as we grow into a world of true human potential, we will no longer see the vulnerabilities of others as separate from our responsibility.

We would no longer allow our own children to suffer, and one day all children will be respected in that same way and we will no longer turn our heads and harden our hearts against the horror that millions of compromised children are forced to endure.

Picture a world of smiling faces all over the planet, healthy, laughing, learning, working side by side to build communities based in the true fundamentals of our highest order.

No more throw away, unwanted or needed children, beautiful children, sad children. It is our responsibility to stop the maddness because what happens to 'those' children, happen to our children.

That image of a fuzzy and warm world is nice, but it is never going to be a reality.

In the real world, the United States needs to sure up it's "home" first before we start playing savior to the neighbors.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Actually the Presidents job is to multi-task, you know, do many things at once. If you have been paying attention you would know that it's not ABORTION ABORTION ABORTION that Obama is focusing on.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

Originally posted by paxnatus
Again, I say, abortion is not nor should it ever be a family planning OPTION.

But forcing your own ideals onto others is no problem eh?

My ideals!!! What? you liberals can scream about anything regarding George Bush from blaming him for the economy, Gaza, gas prices, wars even 9/11.
But my Lord let the more conservative base say we are upset that Obama
uses our money to support abortion overseas and now I am forcing my own ideals on you? Excuse me? I am simply quoting word for word from an article that was posted by someone else. I did not write the article. Stop projecting!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
reply to post by lynn112

Actually the Presidents job is to multi-task, you know, do many things at once. If you have been paying attention you would know that it's not ABORTION ABORTION ABORTION that Obama is focusing on.

I'm not twelve, I am fully aware of what the president is supposed to do. I am also fully aware that this was just fluff to keep a group of his campaign supporters happy.

When he took his time to reinstate this, he could of been working on a way to get jobs back onto US soil, sure up our education system, figure out a way to get these corporations to answer for years of greed. See, there are plenty of other things he should of used that time for, but instead, he pulled out the fluff.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Good for him, most of those places also provide preventive contraceptives, so that an unwanted pregnancy is not conceived and also they help protect the regions from the spreading of STDs. Finally a president who isn’t a complete fascist, fundamentalist moron.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This is no surprise. Remember Obama supported killing babies that were born ALIVE after a botched abortions.

www.wnd.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

When he took his time to reinstate this, he could of been working on a way to get jobs back onto US soil, sure up our education system, figure out a way to get these corporations to answer for years of greed. See, there are plenty of other things he should of used that time for, but instead, he pulled out the fluff.

DO you think he's just sitting in front of the TV wasting away? It's not as if this is the one and only thing he's done, you know, in the 29 hours or so he's been President. It's not as if all of those problems you are listing can be solved in 29 hours, not even 29 days. I'm confident that he is in fact looking at those issues, but this is something he knew should be done when he got into office and could be done quickly, and so now, it's out of the way, so he can focus on other things. Let's be logical about this.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Source

I can see it now, the US provides aide and contraception to war torn countries. How many of you think those supplies, dollars, drugs whatever form of aide we give, is ever going to make it to the people that need it the most?

Understand, I am all for birth control and education, but I do not support
abortion.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
This is no surprise. Remember Obama supported killing babies that were born ALIVE after a botched abortions.

www.wnd.com...

WND commentary has as little credibility as a blog. Don’t have a problem with the issues the article raises, just want anyone who is reading this thread to know to search for and back the information up with credible sources before believing anything the article may claim.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'm not twelve, I am fully aware of what the president is supposed to do.

Ok, maybe you don't get the defintion of multi-task. Because from what you just typed you obviously don't. It took probably a mere 30 seconds for Obama to sign this executive order, and no they weren't just looking at this executive order, they were looking at all of Bush 43's executive orders and repealing the ones that didn't make since.

And by the way, if you HAVE been paying attention you would realize Obama is doing just about everything you listed, unless you can find a source that says he is not. He's doing things that he has in his power to do quickly, I'm sure the president can find 30 seconds to spare to sign an executive order.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Layla

DO you think he's just sitting in front of the TV wasting away? It's not as if this is the one and only thing he's done, you know, in the 29 hours or so he's been President. It's not as if all of those problems you are listing can be solved in 29 hours, not even 29 days. I'm confident that he is in fact looking at those issues, but this is something he knew should be done when he got into office and could be done quickly, and so now, it's out of the way, so he can focus on other things. Let's be logical about this.

Sorry, but IMO, it was pure fluff & nothing more. There are far to many problems here that need fixing before he should of even thought about addressing anything outside of our borders.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Condoms and contraceptives, as well as education is a first step in progressing into our fullest human potential.

For those of you worried about it costing you money, I did not hear you scream this loud when the last administration ripped you and the entire world off for trillions of trillions of dollars to buy their daughters and sons educations and exuberant lifestyles you could not even begin to imagine.

Remember, when we start to take responsibility for our mistakes we have to begin with the most vulnerable. Children who have been born in the areas we discontinued aid to for condoms and contraceptives to have suffered the worst possible fates, while you were blessed with a home, job, bills and food. The worst you have to contend with in the short term is fear of the what ifs and greedy blindsided concerns for your self.

This was the single most promising first act President Obama could have made. If we can create a land fall of reversals in the tragedy that has happened over the past 8 years, we will and can do anything.

It is not just America and You personally that has been affected by the backroom backwards policies and shifty acts of this past (thank God) administration, but an entire world that has been affected and placed into hopelessness and despair.

We are a one world planet, what affects one people affects all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join