It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Lift Ban on Funding for Groups Providing Abortions Overseas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Thats true, but the increase in funding would be done by Congress (i think) so we'll have to deal with that when and if that time comes...

As of now the funding has a cap, not sure what it is, and assuming it is maxed they would have to drop some to give to another. As of now its a wash...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I have to object to your idea that Bush wanted to protect life.

Sure he may have wanted to protect the unborn, but he has insitgated the deaths of countless people, of varying nationalities, through his two wars.

I really take offence to the idea that the life of someone who is already born, grown up, and has a life, is worth less than that of one that has yet to be born and establish itself.

If he was really for life he would NOT have started those two wars.

Anyway. That is tangential to the point.

My objection to this ban was, as I stated, it was often purposly misinterpreted to block birth-control period. That shoudl not be the intent.

It is as I have always said, if you really want to stop abortion, then step up the birth control distribution.

And please keep in mind that discussing abortion, and having an abortion, are two very different things.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus

Ya see, I said it earlier How is counseling on abortion as a family-planning option not the same as the one who provides abortion?

How can you not see that those are two seperate things? I can SPEAK to a friend, even counsel them on her personal legal options. I can counsel on abortion and adoption, birth control and abstinence. If I speak to someone about abortion, as a legal option, I am not yanking the baby out of her womb, I'm merely letting her know that it's there, and it's legal. Entirely different.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Question for all you Do Gooder fundamental types,

How many non aborted babies have you supported? You know the ones that would have been sent back to their maker before they were even developed?

Or is it the same rhetoric 9 months later to the single mom unable to cope with a new baby she was coerced into keeping to get you closer to your God for your selfless act?

How dare you!
Start supporting the millions of unwanted and abused, tortured children that you coned unfit Mothers into keeping with promises of moral support. You cant diaper and feed or council with that.

Stop being so judgemental about a woman's right to choose. Stop being so quick to decide who lives and dies, yes dies because for every child you 'save' for your own heavenly redemption, you also take the karmic responsibility for what happens to that child, do you even care? How often in your pious prayers do you even think about the little lost and tortured souls and what became of them or if they even survived?

THI ISSUE IS ABOUT SUPPLYING THE PILL AND EDUCATION, but as usual here come the judgemental do gooders to the scene, ready to go for the juggler and jump on the abortion band wagon, put down your pitch forks!

Repeat after me...

THIS IS A GOOD THING, because what happens to even the littlest of my fellow earthlings, happens to me... You ARE your brothers keeper.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

"No, you’re not understanding it correctly.
I suggest you read the links provided by Asmeone2 as it seems the one you read misled you.

You see I did and there is now no misunderstanding!

"Current law bans the use of U.S. funds for any abortions in foreign countries. Former Presidents Reagan and Bush further banned U.S. aid to international groups that use their own money to support abortion -- either through performing the surgery, counseling on abortion as a family-planning option, or lobbying foreign governments on abortion policy."

Again, I say, abortion is not nor should it ever be a family planning OPTION.

link[media.www.bgnews.com... ml]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Some links to support my position:

www.womensenews.org...
media.www.bgnews.com...

I do appreciate the links. Here is the difference though, Clinton just like Obama
wants to take life, while Bush wanted to preserve it.

I love your avatar, really... OMFG you have to be out of your mind to think that bush was into the preservation of our anything! Come on I almost had a seizure when I read your... whatever reasoning to make such a comment.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
just wanted to add my 2 cents, i think all this funding for any type of "family planning" for foriegn contries should be canned... keep the money here in the states...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'm an adoptive parent and frankly, the karma that you are so worried about is a whole lot BLACKER on those that murder preborn children, then on those who save their lives to go on to later to be adopted.

Preborn children who suck their thumbs.
Preborn children who play with their cords.
Preborn children open their eyes and also sleep.
Preborn children who FEEL PAIN DURING SURGERY AND ABORTION.

Adoption is better than being murdered in the womb.

Humans are the only animals on the planet to rip their young out of their wombs and murder them. No other creature on this planet is that vile.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

But forcing your own ideals onto others is no problem eh?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
just wanted to add my 2 cents, i think all this funding for any type of "family planning" for foriegn contries should be canned... keep the money here in the states...

Now that's a concept I can get behind!

*no one liner here*

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
i think all this funding for any type of "family planning" for foriegn contries should be canned... keep the money here in the states...

No matter what side of the abortion issue a person is on, that is something that we can probably all come together on. Or at least most of us. Spend American money HERE AT HOME where we need it. Our infrastucture and health care systems need the money. Our education system needs the money.

For crying out loud, dont' send it overseas to foreigners who just can't keep their pants zipped. KEEP THE $$$$ HERE.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

But forcing your own ideals onto others is no problem eh?

This program is doing the exact same thing, forcing pro-choice ideal's into cultures that often have religious oposition to it.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

IT is NOT about the abortion laws it is about saving lives! It is about educating and giving options to other wise helpless individuals that have no choice but to have baby after baby in broken societies which are already malnourished and sickened by wars, disease, petulance, unspeakable terror of the worst measures and little babies of rape and torture being born in a world that is a living nightmare hell of the worst possible kind.

This was the most compassionate thing he could have done and he has my support 1000%

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I can completely understand those against this funding for reasons to do with saving the American economy -- but if what Asmeone2 says is correct, than I think it's a problem that definitely deserves some attention.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Thnaks guys, I just seriously dont see why we (USA) have to be all in these other countries business. We can't figure out our own family planning policies we sure as poo shouldn't be trying to tell others what to do.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
I can completely understand those against this funding for reasons to do with saving the American economy -- but if what Asmeone2 says is correct, than I think it's a problem that definitely deserves some attention.

My first preference would be to keep the money home, but if we must send it out, I think deciding how to spend it should be up to the discretion of those who are receiving it, not politicians who will stay comfy in Washington and have no idea what the recipiant's needs are.

I am trying to find better links, to show how this ruling was misused by certain religious groups.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Question for all you Do Gooder fundamental types,

How many non aborted babies have you supported? You know the ones that would have been sent back to their maker before they were even developed?

Or is it the same rhetoric 9 months later to the single mom unable to cope with a new baby she was coerced into keeping to get you closer to your God for your selfless act?

How dare you!
Start supporting the millions of unwanted and abused, tortured children that you coned unfit Mothers into keeping with promises of moral support. You cant diaper and feed or council with that.

Stop being so judgemental about a woman's right to choose. Stop being so quick to decide who lives and dies, yes dies because for every child you 'save' for your own heavenly redemption, you also take the karmic responsibility for what happens to that child, do you even care? How often in your pious prayers do you even think about the little lost and tortured souls and what became of them or if they even survived?

THI ISSUE IS ABOUT SUPPLYING THE PILL AND EDUCATION, but as usual here come the judgemental do gooders to the scene, ready to go for the juggler and jump on the abortion band wagon, put down your pitch forks!

Repeat after me...

THIS IS A GOOD THING, because what happens to even the littlest of my fellow earthlings, happens to me... You ARE your brothers keeper.

First take a deep breath and calm down. Go back when you are able and read the headline. This thread is not about family planning or adoption, it is
about abortion having one and or receiving counseling about abortion AS A FAMILY PLANNING OPTION.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Then I believe those countries which are having those problems should address them themselves. We have no business getting involved in family planning issues.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

IT is NOT about the abortion laws it is about saving lives! It is about educating and giving options to other wise helpless individuals that have no choice but to have baby after baby in broken societies which are already malnourished and sickened by wars, disease, petulance, unspeakable terror of the worst measures and little babies of rape and torture being born in a world that is a living nightmare hell of the worst possible kind.

This was the most compassionate thing he could have done and he has my support 1000%

How about we use that money to save lives right here on US soil.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Im for abortion...BUT the time has to be reduced imo,too much evidence is coming forward that the limit is too high.Then again what does that mean? does the mother go for the black market style abortion and risk her life? In a perfect world the time would be cut and if a woman didnt meet that ie too late they should have support from the government until she gives birth and during that time a suitable family would be found for the child...in a perfect world atleast.As for sex education i think it should go much deeper at a younger age,whether you like it or not our culture has changed and you need to equip children with all the information you can,they are not stupid it wont mentally scar them,hopefully it will make sure none of the above will happen on such a large scale in the future.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Solomons]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join