Obama to Lift Ban on Funding for Groups Providing Abortions Overseas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Obama to Lift Ban on Funding for Groups Providing Abortions Overseas

www.foxnews.com

President Obama will continue the back-and-forth of presidents before him by using the Roe v. Wade anniversary to allow non-governmental organizations working abroad to use U.S. funding to give counseling on or provide abortions.

President Obama will issue an executive order on Thursday reversing the Bush administration policy that bans the use of federal dollars by non-govermental organizations that discuss or provide abortions outside of the United States.

Obama will sign the executive order on the 36th anniversary of the landmark Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion in all 50 states.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yesterday there was a post that asked: Are you crying? I can answer with a very emphatic no!! I am too infuriated to cry.

So now if I am understanding this correctly Obama is taking "our"money and sending it overseas to provide funding for non-governmental groups that perform abortions.

I know most of you will say this is just politics as usual. I say maybe, but it sickens me to think this was one of the FIRST things he did in office. He wasted no time on that one! Which is further proof for me, who Obama really is.

How is a man that places no value on human life going to have mine or your best interest at heart? He's not!!

If I don't support this in my own country? Why the hell would I support it in another?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 01/12/2009 by paxnatus]

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Amazing how people can scream bloody mary about a dead baby in Gaza but are eerily silent when it comes to abortions. No need to post graphic pictures on this one. The silence speaks for itself. IMO opinion Obama should have left this one alone.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Amazing how people can scream bloody mary about a dead baby in Gaza but are eerily silent when it comes to abortions. No need to post graphic pictures on this one. The silence speaks for itself. IMO opinion Obama should have left this one alone.

It will be interesting to hear the justification from the Obama supporters for this move - if they would like to chime in.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I can't get your link to work in the same browser but if it talks about the same ban I have researched in other places...

This ban was essentially a back-door way to see that only abstinence-only groups got the funding.

On the ground level the definition of "abortion" was often perverted to mean any form of birth control, period. Religious groups grabbed on to that to say to men and women in the most Aids-ravaged places "You cannot use a condom, it is abortion.

Note the clip says that funding will be denied to a group that so much as discusses abortion, let alone provides it.

While I would have preffered to see foreign funding limited, I believe this is going to open the door to groups that can actually do something to prevent AIDS and overpopulation.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
So now if I as understanding this correctly Obama is taking "our"money and sending it overseas to provide funding for non-governmental groups that perform abortions.

No, that's not exactly what's happening.

It has been suggested that one of Mr Obama’s first move as president will be to overturn the Bush administration’s ban on funding overseas organisations involved with abortion programmes. At present, no money can be distributed through the US Agency for International Development to charities and NGOs that promote, or provide information or advice about termination services.

We are already sending money to overseas organizations, Bush simply banned funding for organizations that apparently even mentioned that abortion is available or gave advice about abortion.

This is not for organizations that "perform abortions".

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Our national debt is climbing to unseen levels, our people are having a hard time meeting very basic needs & yet one of his first moves as POTUS is to send our money overseas to fund ending life.....

And this is different from any other adminstration how?????

What a lovely way of forcing tax payers into supporting abortion whether they want to or not.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Some links to support my position:

www.womensenews.org...
media.www.bgnews.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by converge

So now if I as understanding this correctly Obama is taking "our"money and sending it overseas to provide funding for non-governmental groups that perform abortions.

It has been suggested that one of Mr Obama’s first move as president will be to overturn the Bush administration’s ban on funding overseas organisations involved with abortion programmes. At present, no money can be distributed through the US Agency for International Development to charities and NGOs that promote, or provide information or advice about termination services.

We are already sending money to overseas organizations, Bush simply banned funding for organizations that apparently even mentioned that abortion is available or gave advice about abortion.

And that IMO is a big part of the problem. How does any POTUS expect us to continue helping other countries when we are failing in helping our own out of the nosedive the economy is taking?

I'm sorry, but this issue should of been low on the list of "must do's" because the only thing it accomplishes is appease pro-choicers & add to our ever growing national debt.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Thank you for that clarification. So this is for groups that offer abortion as a means of birth control or give advice regarding abortion as an option? Oh I see.

Is that better in some way? When you break it down it means EXACTLY the same thing. Bottom line, this is a precursor to overturning Roe vs. Wade
We'll probably see that decision by Fri. the 24th!!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

So now if I am understanding this correctly Obama is taking "our"money and sending it overseas to provide funding for non-governmental groups that perform abortions.

No, you’re not understanding it correctly.
I suggest you read the links provided by Asmeone2 as it seems the one you read misled you.

Edit:

Is that better in some way? When you break it down it means EXACTLY the same thing.

And NO it isn't the same thing for heaven's sake!

At present, no money can be distributed through the US Agency for International Development to charities and NGOs that promote, or provide information or advice about termination services.

Providing families with contraceptives is not abortion, nor is providing them with counseling on Family Planning.

peace

[edit on 21-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just to clear things up, he's not authorizing any more funds than were already authorized.

Amount "X" which was available to only group A, is now availble to groups A,B and C...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Bottom line, this is a precursor to overturning Roe vs. Wade
We'll probably see that decision by Fri. the 24th!!

How do you figure? Roe V Wade made abortion legal. Reversing it would make is ILLEGAL. That's what the conservative Right Wing non-Obama supporters are hoping for. This issue of the overseas funding is in support of keeping abortion a legal and viable option, not outlawing it altogether.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
Just to clear things up, he's not authorizing any more funds than were already authorized.

Amount "X" which was available to only group A, is now availble to groups A,B and C...

The article does not clarify one way or the other. More organizations will be elgible for funding & that most likely means that more funding will have to be made available. (At least IMO, it will end up osting us all more)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Obama is taking "our"money and sending it overseas to provide funding for non-governmental groups that perform abortions.

YES. Sickening, isn't it?
Someone should sit him down and make him watch this -

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
YES YES YES!!!

I have been so upset every since the first silent act of GWB when he entered office was to stop the aid to foreign countries which we support in birth control and pregnancy counseling.

This is a wonderful move on the part of our country. This will enable the genocidal maniacs to back off now... (They would rather wait until a fetus is 2 years old to rape and sodomize to clear their AIDS) Women and innocent young girls will not be having babies through rape, and again we can begin to make a real difference for our fellow man.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Obama!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well, Barry is off and running isn't he. He surely wasted no time in pissing off a large portion of his constituency with this brilliant move.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Some links to support my position:

www.womensenews.org...
media.www.bgnews.com...

I do appreciate the links. Here is the difference though, Clinton just like Obama
wants to take life, while Bush wanted to preserve it.

"This policy recognizes our country's long history of providing international health care services, including voluntary family planning to couples around the world who want to make free and responsible decisions about the number and spacing of their children,"

Well, shouldn't responsible couples make decisions regarding family planning and the number of children they want before they are pregnant, not after?

"Presidents Reagan and Bush further banned U.S. aid to international groups that use their own money to support abortion -
either through performing the surgery, counseling on abortion as a family-planning option, or lobbying foreign governments on abortion policy."

Ya see, I said it earlier How is counseling on abortion as a family-planning option not the same as the one who provides abortion?

The quotes were taken from your source asmeone2: bgnews.com

A baby take it or leave it! No big deal! Thank you, Barry!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

How is counseling on abortion as a family-planning option not the same as the one who provides abortion?

What part are you just refusing to read???

At present, no money can be distributed through the US Agency for International Development to charities and NGOs that promote, or provide information or advice about termination services. (abortion)

peace

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

YES YES YES!!!

I have been so upset every since the first silent act of GWB when he entered office was to stop the aid to foreign countries which we support in birth control and pregnancy counseling.

This is a wonderful move on the part of our country. This will enable the genocidal maniacs to back off now... (They would rather wait until a fetus is 2 years old to rape and sodomize to clear their AIDS) Women and innocent young girls will not be having babies through rape, and again we can begin to make a real difference for our fellow man.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Obama!!!

So according to you the only upside of this is that women and young girls won't be having babies through rape. This doesn't solve the problem of indiscriminate rape and abuse of women and young girls now does it.

Try attacking the root cause of the problems/crimes instead.

Now we will see an influx of street side unregulated Coat Hanger abortion clinics all throughout Africa. But the rapes will still continue.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant