It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Considering a PS3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm thinking about picking up a PS3 since I finally got my 42" LCD TV. I'm really looking forward to the BluRay payer but am wondering which games come highly recommended.

I do most of my gaming on a PC for FPS and will be picking up GT5 prologue as well as Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

There's nothing worse than spending $60 on a bad game so tell me which ones will blow my mind with graphics and gameplay?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Call of Duty 4 - Being a PC gamer, it will take some getting used to using the dual analog sticks for a FPS, but I made the same transition and it's quite nice.

Grand Theft Auto 4 - Nothing really to say, just amazing.

Little Big Planet - With one caveat. The game is awesome, loads of fun, but if you aren't too interested in building your own levels, where the heart of the game truly lies, the appeal will be short-lived.

Seriously though, the blu-ray player, and reliability, is about the only reason to get a PS3. Hate to say it since I backed Sony from the PS1, but the XBox 360 is a better system in my opinion, RRoD issues aside. The Sony store is crap, the interface is crap and it simply isn't enough improvement on the graphics side to make up for it.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
XBox 360 is a total waste of money. You have to pay for every single option that is available and is such a rip-off! PS3 has free internet play, compared to 16$ or so a month that Xbox charges. PS3 has the blu-ray at no extra cost, whereas Xbox has the hi def ( which is now belly up) and you have to pay extra to get the adaptor for it. Its hard to tell someone what games to get if you don't know what they like. Myself personally like the sporting games ( very realistic ) and Guitar Hero World Tour, along with a few shooting games like Battlefield and Call of Duty 5!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If you're into giant robots, I would recommend Armored Core 4: For Answer. I have about a dozen Ps3 games, and this is one of my favorites. Its a little complicated, but I have always liked playing games that take a little time to learn. It has some decent replay value too, since you won't be able to play every mission you're first time through, and has different endings.

I think either Uncharted or Assassin's Creed are the best-looking ones I've played so far. They have good storylines, but I rarely ever play through linear games a second time, I get bored easy.

Like the above poster said, GTAIV and LittleBigPlanet are also good games. There's a pile to choose from, good luck!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

May I ask why are you considering a PS3? Have you considered a 360? Or do you already have one?

Just curious...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by converge

The main reason i'm going with a PS3 is for the BluRay player. I used to be a huge console gamer with the PSOne and PS2. I also used to have an original XBox but wasn't very impressed with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If your into FPS, then you have to pick up Resistance 2.

It blew my mind the first time I played it, and it's blown my mind the subsequent 20 times I've played it as well.

You will NOT be disappointed.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
well if I were you I would wait till killzone 2 comes out shortly. I been waiting for that one for a while now.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Try renting a game before buying it...and of course, checking out used games at GameStop vs. buying new. I very rarely buy a NEW game... I have to REALLY want it now to do that... (like Fable II for my 360)...

Most games I buy, I spend less than $20 for....pays to wait...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
What is the story with Gran Turismo 5 'Prologue'??
The GT series always blew my mind with the PSOne and PS2 but I keep hearing that the new one is well, a prologue. Are there plans to make a full blown version? From what I understand this one has already been out for a couple of years?

to:NYK537, i'll definately check out Resistance2 although FPS are hard to get used to after using a mouse and hitting W,A,S,D all the time

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Anjin]

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Anjin]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Grand Tourismo prologue is really dope. a very healthy challenge that makes you want to race and race and race again..
your question about the full version of the game tells me that you havent heard much of the news about it thus far, they are trying to turn the game into a realistic driver, something that they've never done, by adding damage to vehicle as you drive. this of course would turn it into the most incredible driving game imaginable.

the game looks fantastic, and although many graphics analogies are related to first person shooters, i couldnt believe this game on my 56inch 1080p dlp. ive seen the ps3 on a 42inch lcd with a high contrast ratio, and i must tell you, ps3 delivers on such a sharp image you wont know what to do with yourself, the blu rays will be a joy to watch.

Please wait on buying star wars force unleashed, ITS A RENTAL! if anything do youself a favor and get up to speed by just pre ordering killzone 2 like the other lad mentioned.

uncharted drakes fortune is incredibly fun as well.

Its just my prediction but eventually First person MMO's will be hitting the ps3 as well as MMO's and i have a hunch they will be more enjoyable on the playstation network.mind you the network is free and not 50 bucks a year.

the playstation store is fine. anyone not capable of navigating it must not have the latest update and if they do..well....yikes. its fine, you can find the latest tv shows, movies, and of course games , wall papers and themes, demos and downloads baby, its really clean.

Not to mention playstation HOME you know its available, and it will be a great way to launch into games with your friends.

at the risk of sounding like a sales man, ill stop here, although im sure i already made myself out to sound like a salesman.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LordThumbs

Thanks for the info!

I ordered my PS3 today from Newegg (no tax in CO)

I also got the bluRay remote, extra controller and Gran Turismo prologue....

Thanks for all the input everyone. I can't wait to start playing games and watching movies!

top topics

join