It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What good deeds do you do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Originally, I posted this as an example of how the bad economy affected someone I know personally, but then we got some good deeds done by other members, so was just curious what other things the folks of ATS do or have done for others... Figured it was nice hearing some GOOD news for a change....so please feel free to post your good deeds (or if someone did one for you!)

Bad economy hits home...

Just found out my next door neighbor is going to be homeless at the end of this month...

My wife and I don't really know her that well, just in passing a few times (like around 3, over the past couple of years), but we both feel for her circumstances.

Her boyfriend left her (which is good, as we suspected he was abusive) around New Years, and they were already behind in their rent for the house. She lost her job right after, and has no car (as he was her ride everywhere).

She came over for the past couple of days to use the phone a few times, and we could tell she was contacting everyone she could think of, but not really getting anywhere.

My wife and I discussed it a bit, and we're going to give her an envelope with $100, and a printed list of all the local homeless shelters, unemployment, and job agencies, along with our contact info to help in any way we can (we just aren't financially able to do much more for her). We can also put her mail someplace, and serve as a phone number where folks can leave messages for her. If we knew her better, we would be more inclined to offer a stay in our spare room for a bit...but she's also attractive too, so I'm definitely not looking to make the wife uncomfortable, or put me in that position...

Just that the reality of the climate out there really hit home the other day...I really hope things turn around... :shk:

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Wow....

You're already doing more than most people would - god bless you.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I agree. A lot of folks would say "too bad" and keep going with their business, but you and your wife are taking the time to help out the best you can.

It's commendable.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just my nature...the other day, I was getting breakfast at Burger King, and after my order, an (obviously) homeless woman counted out some change to buy a small coffee (and it was obvious she wanted food as well). It was also obvious she had been doing this for some time, from the conversation between her and the clerk, and he seemed to care for her plight. Once she had sat down, I went to the clerk, handed him $5, and asked that he give it to her, to get some food while she's here...as I walked out eating my breakfast. (and through the window as I was leaving, I saw him walk over to her).

Others may have their religious doghmas, but mine is simply to follow the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have done unto you. That's really the foundation of all religions when you think about it...

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's a great way to be.

My wife and I have always tried our best to help out the best we can, but it's getting more and more difficult to take care of ourselves now. We still do our best to help out in small ways every chance we can though.

It's easy to lose track of how good some of us have it until we encounter situations like the ones presented.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yup, been there done that.

Me and a couple of friends were going to Subway one day, we pulled up and sitting by the front door was a homeless man.

I first told my friends that I didn't want to go in there and eat, I figured that the man hadn't eaten and I wasn't going to go enjoy lunch with him sitting outside hungry.

We took up a collection between us, went inside bought him a sandwich and drink, I took it outside and gave it to him, he said "god bless you", I then handed him the $2-3 dollars I had in my pocket too.

I went back inside and had my lunch. He was gone when we left, we were going to give him some more money.

Feels good to help.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well done! I tip my hat to you. You make a difference in this world when you do something like that. Something which might seem so small is huge to one who needs the help.
Thank you for sharing that!

And to echo my friend EO - God Bless You.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your stories! It's nice to hear about the good things done by others on a regular basis...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Changed title/thread concept.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I've presented my life as a living sacrifice to God.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I give to Chairy when i Can
mostly what ever i have with me, can range from couple pounds to Notes,
also i will be signing up to a charity so its done automaticaly every month from my bank account. (RED cross/creasent)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It seems more common now to see bums standing at the intersection of busy streets and on/off ramps of the interstate. I always give a buck or two. I volunteer at a rehab.
I teach guitar at a "Y" for free
I build/restore old guitars and give them to poor kids.
Perform with my Duo at Senior centers for free.
My band always plays gratis for charitable events.
I produce PSA's for the public access channel for free.
I donate my time and money to a food bank & women's shelter
Being a self employed craftsman, I give my work to any and all
charitable events that have a door prize or auction.
I teach youth groups like 4H, and scouts, YMCA, flyfishing skills.

I am blessed with time and a little money; It's only fair that I spread my good fortune around.

And the good deed that was done for me was an employer/mentor that
gave me self confidence, pride in work well done and a sense of ethics,
that I as a young man had yet to develop. Also, when adversity strikes;
man it up, don't whine and forge ahead, show tolerance, love and grace to all men.
I hope I can pass your legacy on to others Rick. Bless your heart!!!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don't kill people.

May not sound like much, but some days... :bnghd:

In all seriousness though, I give where and when I can. I've been known to give away the last few bucks in my pocket simply because the person I give it to appears to need it more than I do at the time. And it always seems to come back to me in one way or another.

new topics

top topics

join