It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are those who have

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I have been browsing the ATS pages for over two years now and have read through hundreds of posts. I think it is great that so many people have been given the opportunity to express their views and opinions on the very vast range of issues we all face in today's age.

A common theme that continually arises in many forums is talk of one's decision to wake up or remain asleep. Unfortunately, people who demand logical, rational analysis don't tend to return the favour, because they are assured that they are awake and aware while those who disagree are willfully blind or ignorant. What do I mean by this?

The Iraq War.

You won't find many sane people today who think the invasion was justified and acceptable. Considering history, common sense and the ability to reflect, the Iraq war was a terrible mistake. Personally, when I think about the whole situation now I feel sick and sad about what did, is and will happen. This sentiment is felt by many within Iraq, the USA and around the world, I sense.

However, there are a lot of people who have used this ill feeling and sadness to fuel vehment anti-Americanism, and in particular anti-BushAdministrationism. Let's consider the Iraq war for a moment. A lot of people claim Bush is actually the "world's number 1 terrorist" because "he is responsible" for so many, many deaths (in particular, from the USA's invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq). Let's examine this type of reasoning.

George Bush declares war on Iraq. Despite international protests and pleas from prominent figures around the world - including UN disapproval for military action - the invasion proceeds. The Administration greatly underestimated the potential negative consequences when ordering it to happen. I agree with these statements as they seem logical and clear.

Did the Bush Administration (BA) order US troops to invade a country which it had no right to attack? Yes it did.

Did the BA order troops to target and destroy Iraqi civilians? No it did NOT.

Did the BA order soldiers to murder innocent Iraqis in public places? Did the BA want to see thousands of US troops killed? I don't believe either of these are true. For every US soldier killed, new protesters arise. For every Iraqi civilian death, world condemnation follows.

While BA may have sparked the events that unfolded, extremists in the Middle East (ME) should not be let off so easily.

From the moment the Iraq War began, insurgent extremists strived to ensure the death of as many US soldiers AND Iraqi citizens as possible. They targeted markets, malls and other public gatherings. Do you think these people really care about the welfare of Iraqi citizens? Do you think this was the only way they could show they disagreed with the invasion? Aren't these people's actions on par or worse than their perceived aggressor?

The fact of the matter is that the BA made a terrible mistake and people responsible should be held accountable. But it is illogical to suggest that because he consented in the invasion, the actions of everyone in that region can be excused and the full blame can go on him and his Government.

What would I do if my country was illegally invaded? Well to be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I do know what I would NOT do.

I would not target these invaders if I knew my fellow country men and women would be harmed in the process. I would not attack these people with the intent to kill as many militants as possible. I would not want to bring chaos and havoc to my people all across the country. I would not encourage others to perform actions that would result in my country becoming unstable and highly dangerous. Does it seem to you like there are/were people who actually DO want these things?

If you think "Bush is responsible for millions and millions of civilian deaths" in this region, your anti-Bushism has deluded your sense of logic and reason. Insurgent Extremists were, and are, the true terrorists.

[edit on 21/1/2009 by ExamineAllViews]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Don't sharpen a sword unless you are ready to kill. Bush sharpened the sword when he sent the troops in. Did he order for civilians to be harmed? No. Did he stop it? Not really. I agree that more than one party has to take responsibility, but I think we paid a heavy price for a lesson that should have been free.

join