It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

107-year-old: 'Nothing but the greatest!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   

107-year-old: 'Nothing but the greatest!

www.cnn.com

At 107 years old, Cooper said she always believed she might live to see a black man sworn in as president of the United States.

She knew the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. when he was just a boy in Atlanta. Today, she said, "he would be most happy."

She added, "That's all I looked forward to: better days, because we've never known any better days. But now, you see, we can live like real people."

"She's gone from oil lamps ... to cell phones, from horse and buggies to spaceships. She's seen it all."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I enjoyed this article and wanted to share it with everyone here on ATS.

This african american woman has been on this earth for 107 years. She has been witness to all kinds of things. Some great, some horrible.

Today she is so happy to have lived to see a black man become president.

As the article says "she's seen black people liberated"

I too am happy to have the chance to have witnessed the swearing in of the first black president of the US.

I hope and wish that he will be the best president that we have ever seen because that is what the US needs at this point in time.

This is a great article and I wanted to share it with all of you.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

"I hope and wish that he will be the best president that we have ever seen because that is what the US needs at this point in time."

The country has always had 'what it needed' - it has just been ignored.

Read the Constitution... then review your messiah's voting record.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Great article, I will add however that I wish people would place less emphasis on his skin color and more on his actions, great we have a black president, lets hope he does a good job. The African american people have been far from repressed for many years people need to realise this and quit making so big a deal over his skin color.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Great article, I will add however that I wish people would place less emphasis on his skin color and more on his actions, great we have a black president, lets hope he does a good job. The African american people have been far from repressed for many years people need to realise this and quit making so big a deal over his skin color.

Hmm, it seems the point of the article has been missed. It isnt so much about Obama as it is , a 107 year old woman who has lived through alot of important dates in black history.

She has witnissed black people being liberated, She has witnessed all kinds of discrimination, the rise of the KKK, the civil rights movement, and now the first black president

That is why there is an empahsis on "the color of his skin" in this thread.

Its a big deal whether you like it or not. The second black president wont be as big of a deal, but the first woman president will be getting similar attention.

It IS important because it is a milestone for human kind.

That said, the article is about what one black woman has seen through out her life. not Neccasarily just barrack obama.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
"She added, "That's all I looked forward to: better days, because we've never known any better days. But now, you see, we can live like real people.""

----------------

Now they can "live like real people?" What does that suppose to mean? Did black people used to live like 'fake people' prior to Obama in Office?

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Impreza]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
exubarant 1...

My messiah?

First of all Barrack Obama is NOT my "messiah". Hell, I didnt even vote for the guy, so before you go throwing around accusations I suggest you know what you are talking about... There is a reason that I said I hope is he the best president we have ever seen, but its not because he is "my messiah" and I am offended by your accusation. ATS'ers should know better than to jump to conclusions before they have the whole story....

That said, the article is not so much about Barrack Obama as it is a 107 year old woman who has lived through a great deal of black history.

The inaguration of Obama just happened to be another part of what will be black history.

I wanted to bring the story of this 107 year old woman to ATS. You might have known that had you read a little closer before you jumped to your conclusion

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I've been a little slow on the news today...has Obama walked on water already, or haven't i missed that part of the show yet?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza
"She added, "That's all I looked forward to: better days, because we've never known any better days. But now, you see, we can live like real people.""

----------------

Now they can "live like real people?" What does that suppose to mean? Did black people used to live like 'fake' people prior to Obama in Office?

While I cant be sure, I would venture a guess that she was refferng to the fact that Black people have been discriminated against for years and perhaps there is a stigma there.

Perhaps she is suggesting that it is a step towards full equality and that black people may not have to fear being discriminated against.

I thought it was fairly obvious that when one is discrimanated against they often feel the need to blend in as much as possible in order to avoid as much discrimination as possible. Perhaps she means that for the first time in a long time she feels she can be her self, comfortably.

Of course that is just speculation on my part because it was never specified exactly what she meant...

Perhaps thats what she mean when she said that.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

Oh lord.. did you not read the article? Have you read any of this thread? or did ou just assume you know whats going on? Its aboout a 107 year old woman and the major events in black history that she has witnessed....
the first black president is just another thing to add to her list

THIS THREAS IS ABOUT THIS WOMAN AND THE BLACKHISTORY SHE HAS WITNESSED IN HER LIFE PEOPLE!!! NOT BARRACK OBAMA!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION:

This thread is about this 107 year old woman and the events in black history she has witnissed through out her life. The latest event does happen to be her seeing the first black president but that is just one of the MANY events she has witnessed.

This thread is not about Barrack Obama in any way. It is about this woman. It is about what she has lived through and witnessed in her life.

Lets keep this thread on topic. This thread is not in place to praise OR bash Obama.

With all due respect,do NOT derail my thread. Any off topic posts will be reported to the mods in an attempt to keep this thread on topic.

Thank you.

Now please continue.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Today she is so happy to have lived to see a black man become president.

I too am happy to have the chance to have witnessed the swearing in of the first black president of the US.

Here's what I was referring to, so in responce I was keeping on topic and expressing an opinion based on information given.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
give it up. They are so hung up on Obama being president, they can't understand how much history this woman has seen. Or they don't want to.
(I didn't vote for him either, and he's not my messiah.)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

While I cant be sure, I would venture a guess that she was refferng to the fact that Black people have been discriminated against for years and perhaps there is a stigma there.

Don't you mean it's been years and years and years scince "black" people have been discriminated aginst?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Take me out of context all you want. It doesnt change the subject of this thread which I have stated numerous times now.

You forgot to mention where I talk about liberation for black people, kkk, civil rights etc.... That was awfully convienient of you...

The topic is this woman and ALL of the events in black history that she has witnessed up to and including Obama being sworn in.

This thread is not soley about the innaguration of Obama and I am not going to allow it to become that.

I will have my thread stay on topic whether you like it or not.

I made reference to more than just Obama being sworn in today and yet you chose to talk about nothing but that....

Do not accuse me of what YOU did.

With all due respect. I made this thread not to be a thread of praising or bashing Obama. It is a thread about a woman who has experienced alot of important events in black history.

It was an opportunity to talk about all of black history and this womans life.

I will repeat myself to make it as clear as possible. THIS THREAD S NOT FOR BASHING OR PRAISING OBAMA!. This thread is for discussing all of black history and what this woman has been through in all of her life. Not just what happened yesterday.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Don't you mean it's been years and years and years scince "black" people have been discriminated aginst?

This post has been reported to the mods because it is off topic and serves no purpose but to derail and cause arguments. Pointing out typos is not the subject of this thread.

Stay on topic everybody!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Ok point taken, but as you posted this thread in the breaking news section, you should expect to recieve opinions on all aspects of the article that you provided, including ones that you, the author of the thread make mention to. I appreciate the lady's experiences and views however just fail to see how the greatest thing in her life was/is Obama becoming president.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Ok point taken, but as you posted this thread in the breaking news section, you should expect to recieve opinions on all aspects of the article that you provided, including ones that you, the author of the thread make mention to.

Thats right and thats why I specified that I wanted opinons. Opinions not of political views of which I made none ( stating that I hope he does good Is not that) but of the history this woman has seen. of black history. Of the trials and tribulations that she has seen. in her 107 years on this earth

I appreciate the lady's experiences and views however just fail to see how the greatest thing in her life was/is Obama becoming president.

Well perhaps if you were her you would see. Have you heard the saying "untill you walk a mile in their shoes" Mabye its similar here. I can imagine where she is coming from

Think about what she has seen in her life. Segregation, lynching hanging discrimination, racism, KKK, Civil rights movement, MLK JR. Malcom X, sit ins, riots, march on washington, Rosa Parks, First black president.

She has been around long enough that she may have even known former slaves. Think about that. Slavery to presidency... Perhaps thats why its so important to her

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Great story and experience for her. Must have brought tears to her eyes.

I just hope she'll pass away before he has to make some hard unpopular decisions. And I doubt Luther King would be as happy as she is, but that a whole other story

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Why is everyone falling for this stuff. Why are black people all of a sudden liberated? Doesn't anyone get it, Non of us are liberated!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join