It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

night vision/thermal imaging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
How many folks on this thread know their (NODS) Night vision devices or thermal imaging for weapons. I worked in that field and I'm just curious.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I know nothing about them, but what I would like to know is, can you upgrade the generation 1 units?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by hardeeboy
How many folks on this thread know their (NODS) Night vision devices or thermal imaging for weapons.

How many know their night vision devices for weapons
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking?

I want some NO/TG-7 thermal goggles

www.nightvisionplanet.com...

Those seem so much more versatile than starlight based nightvision since they don't rely on ambient light so they'll work in complete darkness or even during the day. They can also see through smoke and haze or even some walls/structures to some degree.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cruzion
I know nothing about them, but what I would like to know is, can you upgrade the generation 1 units?

I would have to know what type of specific night vision you have first to make that determination. Most of what I usually deal with is MILSPEC equipment.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by warpboost

TAG 7's are cool if you have the money. I have the data sheets on those, when you said you don't understand what I am asking...I really was asking do you use any type of night vision with your weapons if you have any, or maybe did you use them on your weapons in the military when you served on active duty.

Sorry about that, I should have clarified that better.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by hardeeboy]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Who actually manufacturers those TAG7 goggles? I looked but couldn't seem to find a company or brand name?

They are pretty expensive at about $10K but could be a real bargain if you actually have a need for them. How cheap or what's the wholesale on them? I just noticed prices ranging from $9500-16,000, but 10,000 seemed like the average going rate.

I would imagine that eventually the sensors and technology will get cheaper and you might be able to find something like them for a few thousand. I have seen some flir cameras for a few thousand, but they don't look to rugged or easily used while mobile.

Does anyone make a solution that offers both thermal and latest gen starlight in the same package?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by warpboost

Try www.nivisys.com for the TAG 7's

Personally I chose minocular over bino type goggles anyday, depth perception is way better. The PAS 13 is best I have used so far. I'm a fan of the PVS 14 over the 7 series also.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Those TAG-7s are a monocular style? I intuitively would think that having a bonicular setup would offer better depth perception just like covering one of your eye's distorts depth perception
but maybe with digital signal processing and other tech thats not the case?

Who actually manufacturers the TAG 7? I've looked and like I said I havent been able to find a company or brand name. Is it raytheon??

What is the lowest price on a set of TAG-7 goggles? How far can they see or zoom? It says 1.5x so probably not too far but just wondering?

[edit on 21-1-2009 by warpboost]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I have a question for those that know about night vision for weapons...whats a good night vision scope with 5X mag for someone on a budget?...i have read good and bad on ATN's offerings...any help would be greatly appreciated...i need to be prepared for when TSHTF

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by consciousdrum

I wouldn't buy anything from ATN, I have repaired a huge amount of their stuff, but if you are on a budget I understand. Night vision is not cheap, I would just do a search online and research different companies, there are a lot out there.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hardeeboy

Could you please tell me what the minimum requirement to be able to see objects like planes and satellites would be will the show up on any gen 1 scope or do you have to have a (to infinity) field of view. There seem to be many cheaper scopes out there but I wonder if you point the thing to the sky will you see the stars and planes etc. Cheers

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hardeeboy

The ATN scopes are really bad - I've heard a lot of things about them. Better off buying used surplus scopes!

[edit on 13-3-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by consciousdrum
I have a question for those that know about night vision for weapons...whats a good night vision scope with 5X mag for someone on a budget?...i have read good and bad on ATN's offerings...any help would be greatly appreciated...i need to be prepared for when TSHTF

Might want to keep in mind a lot of good military rifle scopes were only around 3 - 5x zoom at the most, the AN PVS 4 was only 3.6x mag. The more zoom, the narrower field of view.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

You are wasting time on a Gen 1.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ACEMANN

I work for ITT night vision, ATN is trash.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cruzion

I have seen no upgrades to Gen 1's except for the hardware, no tubes.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Check your state laws before mounting a Night vision or thermal imaging device on a weapon.

I many states they are classed as a poaching device.

In calif use of Night vision or thermal imaging device on a weapon. are not listed in the firearm laws but in the fish and game codes.

top topics

join