It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Medical Question for everyone on ATS...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Several ATSers were right on the money mentioning fibromyalgia, lupus, and Lyme disease.

Many chronic autoimmune diseases (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, polymyositis, just to name a few) begin with the insidious onset of vague symptoms like muscle aches, fatigue, and just feeling "blah"....and these vague symptoms are routinely dismissed as being the result of stress or depression...I speak from experience.

Autoimmune diseases can be a booger to diagnose, especially if the disease is just sorta "brewing" for several years...for me, it wasn't until I was laid low by a massive flare (stiff & painful joints, debilitating fatigue) that my doc decided to do some investigative labwork.

The result? RA (rheumatoid arthritis). After about 11 months of trial-and-error medications, starting with methotrexate and ending with methotrexate and Remicade (a powerful biologic DMARDS), I'm feeling much better.

Here are a few lab tests to detect autoimmune disease activity:
Rheumatoid Factor
Circulating Citrullinated Peptide antibody (Anti CCP)
ANA (anti-nuclear antibodies...I think)
there are a bunch more....

Good luck to your friend,
Ezzi

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezziboo...RA (rheumatoid arthritis). After about 11 months of trial-and-error medications, starting with methotrexate and ending with methotrexate and Remicade (a powerful biologic DMARDS), I'm feeling much better.

Always a consideration with the biologicals is an increased cancer risk. (I know, I know, you keep thinking that with all this crap, there must be a pony somewhere) Myself, I have to hit a five-year cancer free mark before I can attempt them. Even then...I donno...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Oh, believe me, I'm well aware of the lymphoma/leukemia risks entailed with using biologic meds...on top of that, RA is strongly linked to Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and large B cell lymphocytic leukemia (in fact, I just had a little procedure done last week to biopsy some funky lymph tissue...benign.)

But, I had to weigh the risks of the biologic drug against quality of life issues...accepting the risk of developing cancer is, for me, hands down, the winner over continuing to deal with immovable, shards-of-glass painful joints and near-total immobility.

Could be worse (that's what I tell myself)...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezzibooOh, believe me, I'm well aware of the lymphoma/leukemia risks entailed with using biologic meds...But, I had to weigh the risks of the biologic drug against quality of life issues...accepting the risk of developing cancer is, for me, hands down, the winner

Surely...I'd also recommend something called "Zyflamend". I'm pretty sure it's helping out.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
2 cents worth from someone having had heart issues. I have been taking CoQ10 and it has stopped not only the bloodpressure issues, but also heart palpitations. I have also noticed I am not having aches and pains like I did before starting it. I am 38 if you were wondering if it is for elder population. I consider it a miracle. My sugar levels are evening out too as I am pre-diabetic.

Try taking 100-200 MG a day of CoQ10 - research online to verify what would work for you. Can't hurt as it is a substance our own body makes to help the body run efficiently. I read it can cause body aches, pains, etc such as was being described if your body has low levels of CoQ10.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mhinsey Use Stevia as a sugar substitute instead. A Little more pricey but definitely worth it. Natural substitute for sugar used forever by 3rd world countries.

I'd recommend sampling it first, as I have a box of the packets as well as a jar of the tincture. It does have a taste to it, and it makes coffee taste funny. I ended up opting for honey in my coffee, etc, instead. Not the best choice, but better than sugar...infinitely better than aspartame.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by mhinsey Use Stevia as a sugar substitute instead. A Little more pricey but definitely worth it. Natural substitute for sugar used forever by 3rd world countries.

I'd recommend sampling it first, as I have a box of the packets as well as a jar of the tincture. It does have a taste to it, and it makes coffee taste funny. I ended up opting for honey in my coffee, etc, instead. Not the best choice, but better than sugar...infinitely better than aspartame.

It does have a sort of licorice-y aftertaste but it does not stay on your taste buds like equal or other sugar substitutes. Plus I found if I use just a touch of real sugar or honey it tastes much better AND it does't effect the sugar levels. I found also adding the powdered fiber to the coffee helps to even the flavor out and even like it.. I never thought I would like any sugar substitute. I won't lie, I still prefer sugar over anything else but hey, gotta lose weight and get healthier or I want be around to enjoy the sugar when I do have it.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by mhinsey]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join