It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object Literally Skips Off The Sun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Heat from Helicopter exhaust refracting image of sun. A Mirage

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This huge fast thing - could it have been Nibiru with broken breaks?

Ko3

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

Actually, you're probably right. And when Nibiru doesn't show up in 2012, this is the excuse that will be touted.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Those damn aliens better stop driving and drinking, that's all I have to say.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Malfeitor

Who are we to say what's possible or impossible? We are a primitive race with primitive science. How do we know things can't move faster than light? All we have is minor experience with our daily lives and telescopes. We know almost nothing about the universe around us. So no, I wouldn't say it's impossible. It could be, but we just don't know.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It's amazing how people do not look at what they are seeing (if that makes any sense).

The SkyFox logo on the top left tells me that this (as far as I, a Portuguese citizen living in Portugal, can understand it) is probably footage taken from a Fox News helicopter, not from any space probe or anything like that.

Also, the clouds moving in the background show that what we see is the Sun through the Earth's atmosphere, and knowing that we should understand that, along with the colour, this shows possibly a sunset, with all the light effects that occur at those occasions.

The object itself remains a mystery, but not more than any other thing we can see in the sky flying at that apparent speed, and that includes bugs and birds, along with really unidentified objects.

So, to me, this shows a UFO (considering it was not identified) passing in front of the Sun, inside Earth's atmosphere and relatively close to the camera (the light on the object would be different if it was very far away from the camera).

But I could be wrong.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I skimmed a few pages and had to come back cause something has not
been noted and I think this needs to be said.

RFBurns pointed this out:

Actually that isnt some object bouncing off the Sun. Its some of the
flare that gets caught by the magnetic field and follows the magnetic
field up, around and back down again, which looks like something
bouncing off the Sun.

What bothers me is not what RFBurns says (I take his word that
this is what it is, clearly he has knowledge of this), but how the
reporters act like they know what they are talking about. Their
play by play shows that they have no credibility to report any
phenomenons that take place in our skies.

"Then Bamm, you see it skip off the sun"

They have no expertise to even comment on this.

The media sucks.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It may be many things, but it was NOT something bouncing off the sun. A solar flare doesn't make any sense either considering the fact that if the object was bouncing off of the sun it would have to have been moving faster than the speed of light. No known object, even a flare, moves that fast.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i don't understand how the object leaves a trail (if you can call it that) on it's way into and out of the sun. i would have thought that an object hitting or bouncing off the sun, if possible at all, would just leave that sort of trail on its way out. don't know. nice video tho.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by ivycutler]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Totally retarded thread. Something "bounced" off of a ball of gas. Score +1 for the worst thread of the day.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
You know what this reminds me of? the fact it seems to skim the sun, then seems to disappear, it reminds me of Star Trek, when they use the sun to slingshot back in time.

Alternatively just like NASA does , perhaps someone used the sun as a sling to pick up speed, I remember hearing of a NASA probe slinging itself around Bodies in the solar system, ending up in Mercury's orbit, cold it be that? I'm so tired right now, I can just about remember the first page.

Just throwing around an idea or two.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Guys this is from Fox 25 Boston, it was shot in the morning by Doug Mehan the traffic guy. Funny thing is it was never made a big deal of in Boston.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

The speed of light is approx. 186,000 miles per second
The diameter of the Sun is approx 850,000 miles
The "object" clearly travels at least the entire diameter of the sun in about one second.

This means that it were actually near the Sun it would have been traveling roughly 4.5 times the speed of light.

Therefore, it was either:

a) something in near focus that refracted the suns light on the camera, or,
b) A Klingon Bird of Prey performing a slingshot time warp manuever.

Carry on.

[edit on 1/21/2009 by darkbluesky]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Malfeitor

Anything traveling faster than light (assuming that it were possible) and traveling toward us, would be extremely blue shifted and would appear to move away from us at a very high rate of speed.

The paradox of being blue shifted and moving away, would give it away, and we would quickly recognize that we witnessed an object violating the theory of relativity.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It's obviously some astronomically powerful diety skipping rocks off of the sun.

I agree that taken from within our own atmosphere, there are a lot of explanations that could rule it out. To me, it almost looked like sunlight reflecting off of a surface, into the camera. It looks cool, but not nearly enough data to suggest it's something actually reflecting off of what is gas.. which honestly, doesn't make a lot of sense.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Looks like a LENS flare to me, a reflection of light passing across the lens of the camera. To actually 'skim the surface' of the sun as somebody else pointed out, such an object would have to be moving faster than light.

It's always a good idea to do a reality check before jumping to conclusions.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
I skimmed a few pages and had to come back cause something has not
been noted and I think this needs to be said.

RFBurns pointed this out:

Actually that isnt some object bouncing off the Sun. Its some of the
flare that gets caught by the magnetic field and follows the magnetic
field up, around and back down again, which looks like something
bouncing off the Sun.

What bothers me is not what RFBurns says (I take his word that
this is what it is, clearly he has knowledge of this), but how the
reporters act like they know what they are talking about. Their
play by play shows that they have no credibility to report any
phenomenons that take place in our skies.

"Then Bamm, you see it skip off the sun"

They have no expertise to even comment on this.

The media sucks.
So a guy on the internet (on a nutty conspiracy site no less) offers explanation and you have no problem taking him at his word but you make fun of the reporters. Wow!

PS: What makes it even better is the fact that RFBurns is completely wrong, I have NO clue what it is but RF just threw out a guess as fact and if you research his guess it is apparent that it is wrong.

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

The speed of light is approx. 186,000 miles per second
The diameter of the Sun is approx 850,000 miles
The "object" clearly travels at least the entire diameter of the sun in about one second.

This means that it were actually near the Sun it would have been traveling roughly 4.5 times the speed of light.

Therefore, it was either:

a) something in near focus that refracted the suns light on the camera, or,
b) A Klingon Bird of Prey performing a slingshot time warp manuever.

Carry on.

Mods please forgive my quote here, but it is necessary. I just wanted to point out the classic use of the BS tactic "im going to say there are only two possibilities and make one sound dumb so that anyone disagreeing will look dumb." How does this still work on people? I dunno but it does. It could be a million things. It could be something we cant understand or it could be a trick of light. Im going for trick of light myself. Just wanted to point out the BS tactics people use round here.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by shug7272]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

Why do you think people defer to RFBurns when a subject such as this comes up?

Could it be that he has some professional expertise relevant to the discussion?

Naw....

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Why do you think people defer to RFBurns when a subject such as this comes up?

Could it be that he has some professional expertise relevant to the discussion?

Naw....
I have experience in the medical field but guess what, Im wrong sometimes! Lets get real, this is the Internet, EVERYONE is an expert.
I would like to see RF back up his claim with another video that is similar showing the same thing. As people have pointed out, if it is something moving near the sun it is moving faster than the speed of light. RF is wrong. Tuff titty said the kitty.

But the best, and I mean BEST part is the person I was responding too said he was sure RF was right and made fun of the reporters for not knowing what they were talking about when apparently... RF didnt either. You cant convince me he is an expert when he is telling us that burning gas is flying around the sun faster than the speed of light.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

*I don't abuse emoticons.

Please Quote the post where I state that RFburns was correct in his assessment.

Please don't abuse the emoticons.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join