It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object Literally Skips Off The Sun

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Although it appears to hit the surface of the sun the visible area of the sun is actually a sort of atmosphere if one could consider that to be an atmosphere so it would have just hit superheated gas and not anything that could be considered a 'solid'. The object would indeed have had to be quite massive and may not have survived long after escaping the suns immediate gravity well as it would be experiencing tidal force and extreme temperatures. However if it was big enough and this looks like it was MASSIVE then its feasible that part of it would have survived the experience.

As for those suggesting this is a solar flare under the influence of a magnetic field, that would seem highly unlikely as the kind of magnetic field required to produce a flare that compact and at that angle just could not exist as part of the suns magnetic field also the object itself appears nothing like a solar flare as they are far more diffuse.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Looks like a vertical refresh video artifact to me. The speed is constant and connected to the framerate.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I think is just a mirage made by the hotter exhaust of the jet engines of an airplane far away.

the sun is low to the horizon, so the camera looks almost paralel to the earth surface...Because of this, that airplane can be very far away but still in the normal flight altitude, but beeing very far, it cannot be resolved, and anyway it flies just above to the sun. But, the hot air from the engines (hotter than air at that altitude, which is on minus degree) make mirages.
Nothing spectacular, just the effect itself. I remember I saw better examples of airplanes flying in front of the sun, and the distorsions are there.

Confusion of distances. The airplane may be a few hundred kilometers away, and the sun is 150 000 000 km away, the image is 2D, but the reality is 3D.

[edit on 21/1/09 by depthoffield]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
i remember seeing this a few months ago at another site.

i said the same thing, that if it's real and not a lens thing, then it's big and fast!

rocks and comets can't touch that speed. it also looks like heat and gravity is not much of a factor given size and speed.

besides how much time lapse would it take to make it look like it's going that fast?

maybe it's trying to shed some velosity or change direction or it's a couple trust fund alien kids joy riding in daddy's new spaceboat?

C.5 the hard way!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson

heat hazes do not exist in space where thier is no air to create a heat differential leading to differential in the airs optical refraction index.

It was filmed from earth was it not?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by depthoffield

Yeah it's definately an atmospheric distortion, if it was something based near the sun I think it would have these problems.

It would have to have been huge
It would have lit up long before it got to that distance near the sun
It would be going extrememly/impossible fast
At the angle it's at it would have been pulled in by the suns gravity

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I have to say that when I watch in slow motion what I see is a UFO coming in the camera shot, illuminated by the sun, and then changing direction which coincidentally gives it the illusion of skipping off the sun. To me the trail seems to pass in front of the sun, just along the top of it. Yea, I have to go with UFO in our atomoshere.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Amazing. I wonder how it avoided the sun's gravitational pull....???

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Nice Video OP - Really cool to watch.

Its obvious whats happening though, if the question was "How do you recharge your batteries in space?" - The video would be the answer. =)

S&F if I could!

Lunchman

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

For sure this thing is time lapsed, RFBurns.

Look at the duration of some of the smaller details...

It's of close to zero value... for other than a sensationalists purposes.

'It's a bird.'

Yeah... ANYTHING you say.

Just like those 'rods' are insects.

I've seen those 'rods', as in person, and they aren't high speed defects, exactly like the 'object' is not some near object.

Does anyone have any ideas why 'debunkers' are SO clueless?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Not only big but fast!
The diameter of the sun is 870,000 miles. The "object" crosses the full diameter in...what...3 or 4 seconds? So it's going about 200,000 miles per second. Faster than the speed of light.

Either the video is fake or the "object" is quite a bit closer to the camera than the sun is.

[edit on 1/20/2009 by Phage]

so if its an optical illusion as some suggest, that explains its speed

light travels light speed

so what we saw was obviously a fancy light effect of some sort

of course sufficiently advanced aliens could easily bounce off a sun , but its highly unlikely imo

seems like a trick of the light tho

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by golemina
reply to post by RFBurns

'It's a bird.'

I've seen those 'rods', as in person, and they aren't high speed defects, exactly like the 'object' is not some near object.

Funny thing is though that the first thing I thought of was rods wondering at the possibility of an insect or particle causing this effect on camera. Just due to the fact you can recreate a rod with anything moving fast enough through the air and the sun at the correct angle to the camera. What's the possibility of looking head on focused on the sun causing the object's reflected light to be perceived by the camera as the same color as the sun due to the sun's intensity.

If you have ever tried to take a picture of a beautiful sunset with pink clouds the clouds under normal operation of the camera will not come out pink but closer to the color of the sun. Hence you have to make multiple adjustments to the camera to get the pink clouds to show up as their true color. Learned this when in Maui and seems many people had no idea about it either when I was there.

So I have to say it's a reflection off something close to the camera and is mimicking very rod like behavior.

After all if it was over the sun then not only did it break Einsteins equations and all science concerning physics and propulsion, but it also escaped the sun's gravity, changed trajectory, and wasn't incinerated by the heat.

Would be awesome if it was true because then there are many questions to be pondered, however like my great grandfather use to say, if it's too good to be true, there's no probably about it, it isn't.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Thats a very cool video!! I always enjoy watching content that has to do with the cosmos!!
From what I have learned, our sun is really really tiny star. Yet its huge when you want to compare it to Earth or other planets in this solar system.

Thus that object must have been the size of our Earth.. And moving at such a great speed! I mean it takes light 8 mins to reach Earth from the sun. So what ever that object was.. Be it a flare, or otherwise unknown, it was going fast as hell!!!

However when compared to other Stars.. Well you will see here.. Just how large, yet small we really are when compared.. I love it..
Thanks for posting.

This kind of stuff gives me chills every time..

[edit on 21-1-2009 by zysin5]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by golemina
reply to post by RFBurns

'It's a bird.'

Well I tell you what, if any of the armchair astrologers here have any better idea as to what that was..well Im open to the suggestion.

Didnt know that no one can try to speculate what it might be. But I will be happy to entertain YOUR expert opinion.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by depthoffield
I think is just a mirage made by the hotter exhaust of the jet engines of an airplane far away.

the sun is low to the horizon, so the camera looks almost paralel to the earth surface...Because of this, that airplane can be very far away but still in the normal flight altitude, but beeing very far, it cannot be resolved, and anyway it flies just above to the sun. But, the hot air from the engines (hotter than air at that altitude, which is on minus degree) make mirages.
Nothing spectacular, just the effect itself. I remember I saw better examples of airplanes flying in front of the sun, and the distorsions are there.

Confusion of distances. The airplane may be a few hundred kilometers away, and the sun is 150 000 000 km away, the image is 2D, but the reality is 3D.

Is this something wrong, or forced in what i said before? Is this an extraordinary claim?

A short search give me some examples...not too good, different perspective, different resolution, how much time to spend searching exactly the same position...but, use your mind when judge.

Notice the distorsion in the back of jet engines.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Here's a real possibility though it's surprising that a youtube video seems to be the only source for this particular occurrence.

Sun grazing comet perhaps? Timelapse of course.
Sun grazers

[edit on 1/21/2009 by Phage]

I'm going to agree with Phage here. That seems to be the closest explaination. There are still a few questions though.

There isn't any curve in the trajectory, no gravitational pull that I can see.
like in this video.

If that doesn't work. www.youtube.com...

Also, the SOHO videos that I have seen dont even look that good, this footage is from the ground?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yeah, I think you're on to something.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Oh those are some nice images mate, and star for you. I think it may have been solved
[Keyword - Maybe
]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

>'Well I tell you what, if any of the armchair astrologers here have any better idea as to what that was..well Im open to the suggestion.'

Well, hopefully, we fancy ourselves as 'armchair astronomers'...

>'Didnt know that no one can try to speculate what it might be. But I will be happy to entertain YOUR expert opinion.'

Contrary to most guys... I'm totally GOOD with saying "I DON'T know.".

First step to actually learning something?

About the rods, very mischievous, the last one I saw BUZZED my friend and I.

How's that for 'expert'ise?

[edit on 21-1-2009 by golemina]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This has to be an optical illusion due to forced perspective. The sun is 900 thousand miles wide. The object covers that distance in less than 2 seconds, that's 450 thousand miles per second(faster than light). If an object could travel that fast, gravity would have absolutely no effect on it, neither would solid matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join