It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic ice shelf set to collapse due to warming

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Antarctic ice shelf set to collapse due to warming

www.reuters.com

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

WILKINS ICE SHELF, Antarctica (Reuters) - A huge Antarctic ice shelf is on the brink of collapse with just a sliver of ice holding it in place, the latest victim of global warming that is altering maps of the frozen continent.

"We've come to the Wilkins Ice Shelf to see its final death throes," David Vaughan, a glaciologist at the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), told Reuters after the first -- and probably last -- plane landed near the narrowest part of the ice.

The flat-topped shelf has an area of thousands of square kilometers, jutting 20 meters (65 ft) out of the sea off the Antarctic Peninsula.

But it is held together only by an ever-thinning 40-km (25-mile) strip of ice that has eroded to an hour-glass shape just 500 meters wide at its narrowest.

In 1950, the strip was almost 100 km wide.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pbs.org

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Say what you will about the causes of GW. It is happening whether we like it or not. And it is getting worse. Something this large collapsing into the ocean cannot be a good thing. Especially in small Island nations like Kiribati. PBS did a special on this little Island and on the looming refugee crisis that threatens to displace 6 million people as GW worsens.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-1-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Sounds like hurrican season in 2009 will be very bad, assuming something worse doesn't happen before hand. I can't help but think about the movie "The day after tomorrow".

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I hear ya. 2009 is definitely going to be an eventful year. Between financial crises, wars, domestic unrest, and global warming, things are setting up for a huge upheaval..I can only hope this bring humanity together, and not further apart.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yeah the globe is warming.I know it is.I can feel the sun getting hotter.
Either that or the protection layer has diminished.
But what is causing it?Natural cycles or us?
I think natural cycles.Because its done this before many times.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I don't think the evidence is in for mankind caused global warming. Point out ice melts, receding glaciers and such all you want, but there is one thing that everyone leaves out of their computations.

Precipitation.

Heat creates more water vapor, which creates more precipitation, which has a cooling effect.

The ice caps, glaciers, etc., are receding because of decreased precipitation. It take twice the heat to melt a pound of steel as to transport that same pound of water to the polar regions.

I fear we may actually be heading toward a global cooling. Per the evidence.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The heating effect can most certainly cool the waters and freshen salty water. That could have massive and unpredictable effects on the global climate. And may even cause a new Ice Age. I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
All I know is if the winter there is anything like it has been here by the end of it the glacier won't be in too much danger of breaking off.

Where I'm at we have had the coldest, snowiest winter in over 10 years.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Now I am not a scientist or Global warming expert, One thing I do like is a drink.
Now when I pour my drink into my glass with ice, the ice rises above the top of my glass to the point where it almost over flows.
If I do not drink that drink and the ice cubes melt, my glass does not over flow.
so can someone explain to me how an Iceberg melting in the ocean can raise the level of the sea and yet my glass does not overflow

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
You're talking about densities that are totally different. Trying putting ice cubes in water.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Melting sea ice does not raise sea levels. No one says it does. It is the melting of ice in glaciers (on land) that would cause rises in sea levels.

The loss of ice shelves is an indication of rising average temperatures. Rising average temperatures would also lead to the melting of glaciers. It's more like putting more water in your full glass.

[edit on 1/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious
All I know is if the winter there is anything like it has been here by the end of it the glacier won't be in too much danger of breaking off.

Where I'm at we have had the coldest, snowiest winter in over 10 years.

Localized weather phenomenon are not directly tied to climate phenomenon. Where climate patterns are a Macro view, the weather man takes a micro view. This does not mean that climate does not affect weather, only that you cannot use weather as an indicator of climate.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I hear ya. 2009 is definitely going to be an eventful year. Between financial crises, wars, domestic unrest, and global warming, things are setting up for a huge upheaval..I can only hope this bring humanity together, and not further apart.

I hear ya brother. And I believe it will bring people together, I believe in a natural crises, people will be pushed to the point where they realise that they need one another to survive. I think mankind connects better when there is crisis involved because we can then feel that we are NOT alone in the struggle. If an individual loses his home, the public can only say "sorry that sucks" and move on. If the public loses their homes, then they will start to think "i'm not alone, i feel your pain. Let me help"

Perhaps this is nature telling us, "the time for you to realise your worth is at hand, let me help by pushing you out of the nest."

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
You're talking about densities that are totally different. Trying putting ice cubes in water.
I did one better than that and put ice cubes in a saline solution and the level remained the same after the melting.
So how will sea levels rise when icebergs melt?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What was the catalyst that ended the last Ice age?

sorry for the double posting.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by munkey66]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
reply to post by Phage

What was the catalyst that ended the last Ice age?

sorry for the double posting.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by munkey66]

I don't know. Do you?
But there's pretty good evidence that when it happened sea levels rose quite a bit. Here's one bit.

These data support the hypothesis that a sudden rise in global sea level occurred between 14,200 and 14,700 years ago (the exact timing and extent of this rise are still a matter of some controversy). This sudden rise has been labeled "meltwater pulse 1A" because it is thought to reflect the rapid melting of one or more ice sheets, such as those presently covering parts of Greenland and Antarctica.
www.mbari.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Yeah, global cooling that's the ticket.
But, what does the NOAA data say...

2008 Global Tempeture

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
Sounds like hurrican season in 2009 will be very bad, assuming something worse doesn't happen before hand. I can't help but think about the movie "The day after tomorrow".

Hurricanes will be worse if the global temperature cools, not warms.

Hurricanes are formed by a low pressure area over warm water, Low pressures are exteremely cold.
warm water rises from the ocean into the low pressure and cools the warm air fast which forces it down , the colder the air, the faster it falls back down, more warm moist air is dragged up into the low and again the water cools and drops to sea level, this cycle continues getting faster causing a spiral effect, warm air up, cold air down.

If the low pressure is not very cold due to global warming, the warm moist air will not chill as fast and drop slowly either forming a tropical low or a rain depression.
The larger the storm generally means that the low is extremely cold.

we are told constantly that our tropical storms are getting more severe by the media with no more idea about climate change as the next person and believe it is due to global warming.

so now you can make up your own mind about tropical storms now you have a basic idea how they work.

do you think they are more sever or less?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

Originally posted by LeTan

Hurricanes will be worse if the global temperature cools, not warms.

Hurricanes are formed by a low pressure area over warm water, Low pressures are exteremely cold.
warm water rises from the ocean into the low pressure and cools the warm air fast which forces it down , the colder the air, the faster it falls back down, more warm moist air is dragged up into the low and again the water cools and drops to sea level, this cycle continues getting faster causing a spiral effect, warm air up, cold air down.

If the low pressure is not very cold due to global warming, the warm moist air will not chill as fast and drop slowly either forming a tropical low or a rain depression.
The larger the storm generally means that the low is extremely cold.

we are told constantly that our tropical storms are getting more severe by the media with no more idea about climate change as the next person and believe it is due to global warming.

so now you can make up your own mind about tropical storms now you have a basic idea how they work.

do you think they are more sever or less?

Hard to say friend, I was reading this Global warming and hurricanes article and it also makes good points. I don't think national geographic is MSM, unless i'm wrong. Either way, I appreciate your insight and lesson to me about hurricanes. (No sarcasm)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
We live on a dynamic planet.

It was once a boiling cauldron and later it was completely covered with ice.

We have had since that time two major ice ages and at least one minor ice age.

The planet has been warming over the last few decades, but recent articles I have read indicate the over the last few winters the gains in temperature have been lost and this winter is not yet over.

We should be good stewards of our planet, but the alarmism is not helping the situation and is by and large politically driven.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join