It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWM and the AT&T Long Lines Building

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hello fellow conspiracy nuts! This is my first post on this website.

I work very close to Federal Plaza in NYC, and there is a peculiar building located one block to the west. The address is 33 Thomas Street, and it is also known as the AT&T long lines building.

Interesting facts and questions that I cannot find the answers to.

1) Directly in front of the building, there is a sign that states no standing except authorized vehicles, and the agency permitted to park there is AWM.

2) I have never heard of an agency called AWM, and no matter how I goggle it, nothing comes up. Have you ever heard of a government agency with no website? Even NSA has a website.

3) AWM is definitely some sort of federal law enforcement. In lower Manhattan, it is impossible to park a car on the street unless it has some type of plaque provided by DOT or law enforcement agency. All DOT and NYPD plaques have a lot of info, e.g. type of agency, license plate number, expiration date etc... The cars that park in front of 33 Thomas have a very plain white plaque with large red letters which simply say AWM and an expiration date. I have noticed that some of these vehicles also display Federal Law Enforcement plaques provided by the NYPD. Additionally, almost all the cars have controls for strobe lights built into the center counsel or dash board.

4) The people I have seen exiting the cars often look very military like in dress and demeanor.

5) Now for the building. It is a 30-40 story building with no windows.

6) I have read that it is designed to withstand a nuclear strike.

7) Each floor is very tall, and the floor can withstand a tremendous amount of weight by square foot.

8) Just look at the photos of the building on the web, it has vents at the middle and the top.

When I first started to work in the area I thought that the building was were all the telephone lines for NYC went; however, when I noticed the AWM signs, plaques, and personnel I figured out that this is not the phone company.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what AWM stands for, what they do?

What if the real purpose of 33 Thomas Street?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
edit
AWM Awaiting Maintenance
AWM Australian War Memorial
AWM Advanced Wave Memory
AWM Appliance Wiring Material
AWM Association for Women in Mathematics
AWM Adult Webmaster
AWM Arctic Warfare Magnum (Counterstrike weapon)
AWM Angry White Male
AWM Ardent Window Manager
AWM Airworthiness Manual
AWM Abnormal Wall Motion (cardiac)
AWM Advanced Wave Modulation
AWM Arctic Warfare/Military (sniper weapon)
AWM Assante Wealth Management (Halifax, NS, Canada)
AWM Abrasive Waterjet Machining
AWM Apostolic Word Ministries (Warren, MI)
AWM Average Wave-function Method
AWM Animation Works Movie
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com...

Never heard of it either but I don't live in NYC.

Here are some possibilities.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

They could be a private security organization whose job is to protect the sensitive communications equipment of AT&T. If communications go down it seems everything stops and this could be a centralized hub for sensitive classified communications as well as normal communications.

Who monitors the U.N. delegates somebody has to listen in on their conversations. You know as I there are many secret contractor groups working for the U.S. government.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I doubt that they are a private security company because down here there is a) federal protective services (Homeland Security), b) FBI Police, and c) a private uniformed agency that secures the perimitter of Federal Plaza.

I also do not believe that this building is really AT&T because while trying to reaserch this, I found that AT&T moved their Longlines HQ to new jersey.

In any event, you can put a long lines facility anywhere. There is no need for the facility to be in lower manhatten where real estate is extremely expensive.

I personally think that its a covert listening station where all those warrantless wiretaps happen, but if they are just computer geeks listening to conversations (actually runing the computer that listens) why do all the cars have strobe lights built in?

This building just makes me super curious. I wish someone had the answers.

I would walk the block and take photos for this site, but I am affraid that if I did that, no one would ever hear from me again.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It is a "telco hotel", filled with switching equipment and backup data servers. All facilities that are data centers are built like this one. With it's location, it possibly houses some federal backup servers and communication equipment.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Okay, but who or what is AWM?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
AJAX World Magazine

2nd line - Google it.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I remember the building well since a young man in the 70's, and yes it was always an AT&T facility working hand in hand with Local, State and Federal Government. I won't tell you what the AWM stands for, but there are approx. last count, 1100 of these Homeland Security stations in the U.S.. This is one of the largest and most secure ones because this is how it was built originally. Matter of fact, there is a facility just five minutes from my home. They are manned by what you would think are young computer geeks, and they manage the super-computer data equipment that downloads data at unbelievable speeds. This info is from monitoring systems around the world and is highly Top Secret sensitive. The system enables security management in directing operations both domestically and internationally as well as Space. That's really all I should mention, but will accompany this with a warning. Do not plan any uprisings of domestic terror. The systems are able to pick-up everthing spoken, emailed, faxed, recorded, etc.. The only capability it doesn't have at this time is the ability to read our minds, and they're working on that, you can be sure.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Did a bit of searching around on the web in regards to this facility to learn more about it's history, design, etc. Which turned up the following links:

Wikipedia Article on 33 Thomas Street

Emporis Listing for the facility

Also, Verizon has a similar facility in the area as well:

Verizon Facility 375 Pearl Street

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The only thing i could think of is the military designation of
Air Mobility Wing and AMphibious Warfare. It is most likely however just a private security force.

And to pose some truth towards Tyandres.

If that was a DHS site and did what you said it wouldn't be AMW it would fall under the CS&C Computer security and communications division.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
autonomus warfare mainframe? atomic weapons management? building does look like its built pretty soildly makes ya wonder

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
There are literally hundreds of AT&T Longlines facilities across the country which were built during the 1960's and 1970's. This is just one of many switching centers. Nothing too special about it. They were all designed to withstand nuclear attack, however some were built to be much stronger than others.

What is AWM? No idea. Most likely the technicians hired to keep the switching centers up and running.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: finemanm

AWM = AT&T Web Meeting

(Technical Support)

(24 x 7 x 365)

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 888-793-6118 or 678-749-8002

Just came across your post 5yrs later, but i figured i would answer your question with 100% truth, no security agency or otherwise mentioned theories.. Just another department inside AT&T Corp.

Regards,

Dean

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: B7Chrome

Well, that's incorrect and firemanm was right all along.

theintercept.com...

top topics

join