It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America once again shows lack of class

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
reply to post by lunarminer

Oh I remember alright. It was a mess and the administration could have done better, and with relief efforts afterwards they could have spent the money and distributed resources a hell of a lot better. I’m pretty sure even Mr. Bush has admitted that.

The Federal Government did not do a Perfect job, but since when does that allow for the Local and State Governments to get off the hook? Also, since when does such an issue allow for the Local populace to act like ignorant, uneducated animals? This was including their very own Police Officers, who not only abandoned their Posts, but also Looted from Stores as well.

Even Mayor Ray Nagin later recanted much of his blame of President Bush, and he finally took responsibility for his own lack of Preparation and Plan Execution.

Too many Americans swear that the Federal Government is the Hand of God, and they forget how to help themselves. We did NOT witness the same issues in Mississippi and Alabama, areas of which were hit MUCH harder than New Orleans, LA. The Delta of Mississippi is even Poorer than the Bayous of Louisiana, and yet they never even made the Front Page of a Syndicated News Paper. Might this be due to the fact that they failed to act like a band of roving savages hell bent on cannibalizing their own neighborhoods, and neighbors?

Maybe next time the USN, USCG, ANG, FEMA, DHS, USACE, and so forth, will all stay home drinking Pina Coladas, chilling around the house, watching the Disaster unfold on their very own Television Sets 1,000 Miles Away.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I'll stop right at the start of your post:

but since when does that allow for the Local and State Governments to get off the hook?

Please no straw man arguments. I don’t have time for them. I never said they should get off the hook.

Also, since when does such an issue allow for the Local populace to act like ignorant, uneducated animals?

Well first off everyone is ignorant in someway, please be more specific: what kind of human ignorance was shown by booing Bush? They certainly didn’t act like uneducated animals. Booing is a way of expressing ones self. People may not like it but just like with other things people dislike like profanity it helps us relieve frustration. Without it and similar actions violence would be the next human instinct to kick in, now that would have been animalistic. Yes I’m sure some did it because they found it funny or went with the crowd, not the most original or smartest thought but I could definitely see myself getting swept away by that kind of emotion if ever faced with Mr. Bush. I wouldn’t ever accept a hand shake from the man that’s for sure, not that he’d ever consider shaking mine. I have no regard for the man whatsoever and as an American citizen this is my right, he had his chances and he blew them to hell.

He had to earn my respect, just like anyone I support or meet in person; he is not “above it all”. He did not earn my respect and over 70% of the American people feel this way as well. They do not approve of him, why should they politely cheer for him? It is their right to show him the kind of reaction he deserves.

Edit: My bad it’s very late and I need to get beauty sleep. I think you’ve realized by now that since I ignored the rest of your post from the straw man beginning that I thought you were calling the boo-ers ignorant, uneducated animals. My apologies.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

My point is that booing them really isn't something for Americans to be ashamed of. From my perspective in England, booing is a mild and perfectly understandable reaction from the US electorate.

I would certainly understand if they were indicted for crimes against humanity, but booing is a good first step.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by knows_but_doesnt
. . . Barrack Hussain Obama did not "run" for president, he was "placed" as president. He's a muslim, born and raised as such. Black people liken him to MLK, which makes me want to hurl. MLK was a great man, with history. Obama is hardly black at all, yet the entire black community are acting like idiots, like they have finally gained their fredom or something. The guys name is not "Tyrone Johnson", it's Barrack Hussain Obama. Puh Leeze! . . . Good luck Americans, we're all gonna need it these next few years.

I believe when you are done wearing your white sheets as a uniform,
you can iron them and put them back on the bed.

Although I honestly don't know how you sleep at night making racist insinuations and false accusations.

President Obama was sworn in with a Bible. He is a Christian.
( Not that any of that really matters to me.)

But thanks for your post, I now realize why some Lions eat their young.

regards . . . kk

[edit on 22-1-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

star for you. Too often, the MSM goes for the story with the most "sell" attached. Remember, blood and gore lead the news.

We can't miss the forest for the trees. The big picture reveals that most of the Gulf Coast, though still struggling, has made a remarkable effort at recovery. Except N.O., the "Big Easy."

But success and overcoming adversity don't generate ad revenue. Magnifying and wallowing in (even aggravating) misery make for "stories" in the MSM.

One of the reasons I was attracted to ATS is because it offers alternative views, many of them crackpot, true, but you have to sift thru a lot of junk to get the diamonds, if you want them and know where to look.

Ever look at places like BBC-4, Pravda, and other EU/UK news sources? It's mind boggling what Americans miss by being so insular and credulous.

Good point; I appreciate sharing space with people who think.

jw

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

HooRah! After skimming this whole thread it is refreshing to hear a little common sense. I realise now how many " empty headed" American Idol watching idiots there are out there. I thought I was going to Puke, looking at the coverage of the Inauguration, Coronation, slobbering love fest, or what ever you want to that yesterday! We shall see if" the great changing one" can do great things, or, just be another Jimmy Carter! As for Booing Bush that just shows a lack of class. The ignorant of the nation have spoken now; let history tell us what they have wrought. I believe you need more than just "A Pulse" to vote. Otherwise you get the likes of Barney Frank and the other yaahoos up on Capital running the show. We will see if our new Head of the Executive Branch..and that is all he is.. can fulfill all these wonderful expectations! SEMPER FI, and thanks to all fo our Vets. that have served our Counry and Preserved Our Freedom so slobbering Idiots can BOO..HooRah!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yes Bush absolutely made mistakes during Katrina. First of all he grossly underestimated the number of complete morons that would stay, despite having a weeks warning to get out. Then, he really screwed up when he expected the Governor and Mayor to actually do anything productive (like having a plan in place).

It was Bush's incompetence that led to the abject disaster in New Orleans. Anyone with any intelligence would have known to expect the least possible effort from the locals there.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Oh come on. Why is it EXACTLY that booing is a display of classlessness? The people are simply expressing their opinion AS IS THEIR RIGHT. The insinuation that booing the evils of Bush and Cheney is immature is evidence that the OP, and the people that have agreed, believe that classiness is equivalent to being an expressionless drone.

To applause these men would have meant that they deserved respect in some way. Obviously, there are not a lot of people that believe this. I am one of these people. Voicing your opinion is not classless, rather, it is American.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

The vast majority of deaths on Bush/Cheney's hands have been enemy combatants. They kept America from having a repeat of 9/11 for 7yrs, and for that they should be commended.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluegrassRevolutionary
So let me get this straight;
1. You weren't ashamed when it was reveled that Bush knowingly began a pre-emptive war based on false pretense that has killed or wounded some 35000 Americans and perhaps millions of Iraqi civilians.

Bush admitted the intel was faulty. Need I also remind you that the rest of the world thought saddam had the 'goods' too.

Regime change in Iraq was official US policy long before Bush came into office, a guy named Clinton established that...

2. You weren't ashamed when Bush, knowing Katrina was going to be horrible, transformed a calamity into a national disgrace.

Maybe you should rethink governments role then. NO residents were forewarned that a massive hurricane was on approach ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE! This would have been a disaster under anyones watch, given the stupidity of several NO residents, along with their state and local officials for underestimating the strength of a cat 5 hurricane, while simultaneously inhabiting a bowl...

3. You weren't ashamed when Bush publicly condoned torture and warrant less wiretapping of American citizens, thus dismantling the legitamacey of the Geneva conventions and America's constitution.

Bush most certainly was not the first president to impose and condone warrantless wiretapping, and he will not be the last to do so.

Furthermore, you mentioning the Geneva Convention is laughable given the circumstances in todays fight against terror. The Geneva Convention does not apply to terrorists, therefore makeing your argument moot.

4. You weren't ashamed when it was uncovered that the Bush white house had a hand in the outing of an undercover CIA agent, a crime worthy of the charge of treason by the way.

Cherry pick much?

And only now, after witnessing the booing of a president that an overwhelming percentage of living historians agree is the worst in our country's history, you are "ashamed of my nation for the first time."

Your opinion is no more important than the next.

Clearly, your nation is not the same as my nation.

PS, Historians need leave their predictions for "History."

[edit on 22-1-2009 by West Coast]

[edit on 22-1-2009 by West Coast]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnIrish

Actually, the government FORCED these lenders to make loans to unquilified borrowers via the CRA. The people that sat down and agreed to the payments and terms were the only side of the agreement that knew what they could actually afford. I was in that line of work with a major bank for 11 years and I can tell you that the first act of discrimination that I ever knowingly made, was to give a minority borrower a loan that I knew they couldn't afford.

this is what the CRA was intended as....notice the words SAFE and SOUND.. also the word REGULATED...which obviously was done poorly.

The Act requires the appropriate federal financial supervisory agencies to encourage regulated financial institutions to meet the credit needs of the local communities in which they are chartered, consistent with safe and sound operation

you admit yourself, as a banker for 11 years that you KNOWINGLY gave a loan to someone who couldnt afford it....thats preditory lending at its finest and ABUSE of the CRA....which is what happened under this man's presidency. he ABUSED his powers, which is why he was rightfully booed

there can be no denying that president bush abused his powers. he may have done some good, as well as the obvious wrongs, but plain & simple, the man abused his powers

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Any body who said that they were wrong for booing must not remember during the election when every time McCain or Palin said now President Obama's name the crowed booed and called him all kinds of names how soon we forget. I guess they were true Americans.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
truly disgusting, i was ashamed by the entire circus that day was, embarrassing

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
truly disgusting, i was ashamed by the entire circus that day was, embarrassing

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i have to admit, i was bit saddened the jet door didn't kick Bush on his way out! thank you for leaving, but sorry you didn't get what you deserved...yet!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Just understand that the Katrina debacle was not the first or the worst flub by Feds to assist a disaster stricken area, its just that you sound like every other MSM spoon fed Bush basher, what about Clinton and Andrew, oh wait , your too young to elaborate on that situation, and, as a survivor of Andrew i must inform you it took Clinton 11 days to get aid to us in Dade, even though Miami did'nt bear the brunt of the storm and is only 40 minutes away(miami-dade county)so spare us the STRAW-MAN ARGUMENTS, we have been there, done that already..

[edit on 1/22/2009 by cal7man]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cal7man

Clinton and Andrew

I’ve actually discussed that here on ATS. Please don’t think you know me because of a few post in one thread, it makes you look entirely too presumptuous and it makes the rest of your post useless. Since you’ve put down my age already without knowing it I’m going to assume discussing anything with you will get too personal and be a waste of time. So don’t be offended when I don’t reply to more futile rambling, I just don’t have the time.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

So what you say in your posts is not what you really think?
Don't make assumptions about me from what i say??
OK, you can duck& dodge your way out of the things you say but just know it strains your credit in later discussions because you won't own up to the things you have said previously, and you can spin me all day long but the proof is in the words you put down, oh wait, thats too "presumptuous", and the age thing is not a put-down, only an observation. you choose to deem it an insult, and also play this one-sided argument that everyone else is in the wrong and doesnt have any idea of who the real you is.....
and if you don't have time then stop you inane ramblings as well*
Really though, you have stated this before, "i dont have the time" then do something else other than posting uneducated rhetoric, and thats an observation, not a shot at you!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

I completely agree with the respect issue. People don’t seem to understand it isn’t just what they did wrong; it’s how they did it and their lack of willingness to take responsibility for it. No everything was not their fault, but not everything that happened during the course of past presidencies was those president’s faults, people will remember and partially blame them because it happened on their watch. It’s not fair? Well life isn’t fair, if Bush was a liberal the conservatives would be all over his mistakes. Even if Bush inherited a bucket load of problems he had eight years, and sometimes instead of focusing on the things that led us to this heaping mess he focused on the stupidest issues he could muster. Editing the constitution to deny gay marriage for awhile was suddenly very, very important amidst all the other issues we were facing. His mentality as president was not only tragic, but laughable.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join