It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troop Movement or Exercise?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I was just walking back to my apt from the university and I saw a Chinook flying west. I didn't really think much about it considering we see them frequently with our ROTC group and Air National Guard wing nearby. I took my dog out to, you know, 'go out,' and I heard another chopper. I went and got my binoculars cause I just wanted to see it closer, and there were 2 Chinooks, flying behind/towed behind what looked like a C-130. I'm thinking it was refueling them in flight, but I didn't know C-130s could do that.

What was weird, is that they shouldn't have to be refueling since the base is only 10 miles or so away. They weren't headed that direction though.

How many troops can fit into a Chinook? There were 3 and a C-130, how many troops can those hold? I doubt many, but it was definitely a first to see around here. I am near Tinker AFB as well, but they weren't flying anywhere near that direction. We see a lot of planes out here, B-1s, B-2s, a few Apaches, but never a transport like I saw just now.

I found an image online of what it looked like, 2 Chinooks behind a C-130. The C-130 I saw was either dark green or black though, not silver like the photo. The sun was already set, just orange glow in sky. So couldn't see tail for any letters.

[EDIT-] They were flying WEST from Central Oklahoma.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by Contagion2012]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well, since it was just one plane and two Chinooks, which we always called Sh!thooks, I would guess, a training exercise!! Quite common in the military. For example, when I was at Fort Stewart, GA, I would arrange for just one helicopter to practice with our signal battalion and they would spend all day practicing lifting and setting down a few communication shelters so that everyone got to train, but it didn't cost too much using as much equipment as it would in an actual war environment.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Sounds like either training or they were flying an extended flight and just needed gas.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Contagion2012

what state do you live in if you do not mind answering? i am always curious about military movement and/or exercise in the usa. i'm from georgia and georgia is on my mind.

ok, i see you are in ok!

[edit on 24-1-2009 by musselwhite]

new topics

top topics

join