It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New DVD Player With Built In "Censor"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
A new generation of DVD players will be able to remove sexual content, violence and foul language from all DVD movies, on their own. RCA can introduce the DVD player with all the abilities of a live censor, thanks to software developed by ClearPlay, a Salt Lake City company.

Source

The self-censoring DVD player is the first of its kind in the world, and it's raised the ire of Hollywood producers. Steven Spielberg and Steven Soderbergh have backed a lawsuit against the new devices arguing the technology infringes on their rights to have their productions viewed in their entirety, without censorship.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i have always found censorship to be completely retarded, mostly becuase theres nothing wrong with the words or images themselves, but rather the idea as a whole; so censoring a single word only brings more attention to it and the meaning its conveying

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
if they ever would come out with these guaranteed there would be a hack to block it before it even hit the market

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
boy do i feel sry for the next generation they wont be able to get away with any thing

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Is this DVD player the "ClearChannel" model??

What a joke

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Censors...what bull#!

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
So, no parents surfing ATS today?

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
So, no parents surfing ATS today?

I am not a parent, but what DVD would you let a young child watch that would require deletion of certain scenes? If there are scenes that need to be deleted or censored, than the child should not be allowed to watch the DVD in the first place.

No offense to the parents on this board. I am only giving my opinion.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I am not a parent, but what DVD would you let a young child watch

What crack are you smoking?

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst

I am not a parent, but what DVD would you let a young child watch that would require deletion of certain scenes? If there are scenes that need to be deleted or censored, than the child should not be allowed to watch the DVD in the first place.

What if the child isn't too young, nor too old?

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I am not a parent, but what DVD would you let a young child watch

What crack are you smoking?

If you were being sarcastic in in the post I quoted, I did not get it.

Clarify please. I think my question was pretty clear. And for future reference please quote the full sentence. Thankyou.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

What if the child isn't too young, nor too old?

Then that is up to the parent to decide. Thank you. I will return to my crack pipe now wiseass.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

If you were being sarcastic in in the post I quoted, I did not get it.

I rather not.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Are all dvd players going to have this? Or just some?

If its just a particular brand or something, why not? Some parents would prefer their kids not to see some things, whats wrong with that? People have the right to raise their kids differently, and why would that even be your business what DVD's they let thier kid watch?

I would rather not have my DVD's censored, but thats IMO.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
Are all dvd players going to have this? Or just some?

It says in the article that RCA is going to use it, it may or may not be true.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i dont see anything wrong with this.. only thing is sometimes the ratings are just STUPID

by jr high, your teen would be getting into sex, drugs and all that stuff, it epears to me that ratings 18+oldier is just stupid butwell

yes the little kids need to be sencerd

for any parents that read this its just a super short summery on what your kid knows when they get into jr high..

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
i dont see anything wrong with this.. only thing is sometimes the ratings are just STUPID

by jr high, your teen would be getting into sex, drugs and all that stuff, it epears to me that ratings 18+oldier is just stupid butwell

yes the little kids need to be sencerd

for any parents that read this its just a super short summery on what your kid knows when they get into jr high..

Yea, they may know it when they get into junior high, but by letting them watch it, your endorsing it.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
wont matter anyway, but i have noticed (im in highschool ,softmore) that i keep hearing of horror stories about kids in JR high (getting pregnet, one kid had a semiout gun fully loaded)

and it scares me its just going to get worse

jra

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Not all kids get into sex and drugs by jr high. If parents just talk to there kids about this stuff it helps a lot. Sure the kid might still go ahead and do the stuff anyway, but it's better to talk to them and educate them and give them a much better understanding on the subject, then to hide it away from them. Otherwise there's a bigger chance that they'll be more curious and go ahead and have sex and do drugs. at least in my opinion.

I don't think letting kids see sex and violence on tv or in a movie endorses anything. As long as one has taught there child to know that violence against others is wrong.

I think this DVD player censorship seems over the top. I mean if the movie has content that needs to be censored out for younger viewers, then why is the kid watching it in the first place? Are some parents to lazy to say "No you cannot watch that". Do dvd players have to do parenting for the parents in regards to what there kids see now? I just don't get why some parents can't take the smallest amount of responsibility with their children.

Senario: Your 9 year old child wants to watch a movie. They pick one off the shelf. Say it's one with a lot violent content. What do you do?

a) Take it away from them and hide it and leave it at that

b) Tell them no and tell them why. And that it's for adults and give them a childrens movie to watch.

c) Let them watch it. Have the dvd player cut out all the bad parts. Possibly leaving the movie to make no sence what so ever. Making it rather pointless to watch in the first place.

I can understand some censorship, like blocking out tv channels from your kids. But to let them watch a chopped up movie that's not ment for them anyway seems kind of dumb and pointless. Maybe it's just me...

[Edited on 11-4-2004 by jra]

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   

A new generation of DVD players will be able to remove sexual content, violence and foul language from all DVD movies, on their own. RCA can introduce the DVD player with all the abilities of a live censor, thanks to software developed by ClearPlay, a Salt Lake City company.

Source

The self-censoring DVD player is the first of its kind in the world, and it's raised the ire of Hollywood producers. Steven Spielberg and Steven Soderbergh have backed a lawsuit against the new devices arguing the technology infringes on their rights to have their productions viewed in their entirety, without censorship.

Personally i like the idea. If Parents want to place censors on their DVD's they should have the freedom to do it. It's not censorship, its called being responsible. I mean, would you leave a bottle of rum with no cap on it laying around for your kid to find? No, not unless your an idiot

top topics

<<   2 >>

join