It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well well well... Rockefeller introduces bill to delay DTV transition until mid-June...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Despite urging from Bush Administration Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez last week not to postpone the Feb. 17 deadline for the DTV transition, Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-WV, chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, filed a bill Jan. 15 to delay the analog shutoff until June 12. “The outgoing Bush Administration has mismanaged this initiative and President-elect Obama has asked Congress to delay the date of the transition. Over 2 million Americans are waiting to receive a coupon to help them offset the cost of equipment that will help them manage the transition — millions more don’t have the proper information they need,” Rockefeller said.

Link To Article In Broadcast Engineering

Auctioning Of Bandwith

Public Safety Network

What are they really up to with this? Has anyone researched this? I have posted previous threads about the digital transition and how some of the bandwidth that will be opened up is to be used for what is called "Public Safety Network". I think this is another piece of the puzzle that shows we are well on our way to martial law. Any thoughts on this?

[edit on 20-1-2009 by DragQueen4Peace]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Public Safety Network.... along with a few other bells and whistles you won't hear about... like more bandwidth to test ultra high and low frequency emissions which subtly affect the state of one's consciousness, possibly more visual psychoactive elements as well. Who knows? But one thing is for sure:

Why are they, instead of making sure every household has enough food and healthcare this winter, insisting so much on making sure everybody is watching digital television?

Remember a few years ago when digital cable was a luxury,and now it's a standard to be enforced by the government no less?

It's just so odd that the government is anywhere near our supposed free media system...

why does a control mechanism seek to monopolize the standard entertainment/information medium? Rocket science ain't got # on common sense.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
Why are they, instead of making sure every household has enough food and healthcare this winter, insisting so much on making sure everybody is watching digital television?

Absolutely. How about a coupon of my heating bill which I can barely
afford this month. Or my rent that is a week behind so they wouldn't
turn the heat off.

Why is this such a priority?!

I get that it's no big deal for some, they can get a converter box.

However, digital television as a standard is suspicious.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Never thought of it like that but your right! Why the urgency to get people to switch to digital and why such a push from the government.

I think in the uk we are not going digital until 2012 but alot of people have digital boxs so they can get freeview and most new tv's and some dvd players come with digital tuners.

I think the government is interested in its educational use.

cluckerspud.. keep your chin up dude, nothing lasts forever.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Do you have any source material or links? I am not being contrary, I would like to read more about the topic and understand why you have come to that conclusion.

I do agree it does seem odd for the Gov. to have made this a priority -- although it has been int he works for years -- what is their 'official reason'? Does anyone know? And did it start under Clinton or Bush?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Long story short, how many people in the US still use bunny ears to get their TV vs cable/satellite customers. The analog channels that currently carry analog TV are basically taking up space when compared to other ways they could be used. If you are a cable or satellite customer, you've been getting your signal "Digitally" since the late 90s. Following the transition the FCC is auctioning off the rights to the channels being vacated by television.

top topics

join