It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Al Qaeda Group Bungled Test of Unconventional Weapon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Report: Al Qaeda Group Bungled Test of Unconventional Weapon

www.foxnews.com

An Al Qaeda affiliate in Algeria closed a base earlier this month after an experiment with unconventional weapons went awry, a senior U.S. intelligence official said Monday.
The official, who spoke on the condition he not be named because of the sensitive nature of the issue, said he could not confirm press reports that the accident killed at least 40 Al Qaeda operatives, but he said the mishap led the militant group to shut down a base in the mountains of Tizi Ouzou province in eastern Algeria.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Report: Plague killing al-Qaida terrorists

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well, I first read an article on here yesterday clainming it was the Bubonic plague

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now it has been dismissed by intelligence officials, this is scary because I am almost positive they do not have proper Quarantine/Containment procedures for this type of weapon. What should really scare us is now they have an unconventinal weapon of mass destruction. I hope and pray the CIA and special forces are dealing with this.

Mods if you feel this will fit into the above thread please remove but I feel this is a completely different report. That is why I posted a new thread.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
That's interesting, I wonder if it was actually Bubonic plague, cos that don't seem like a very good choice in this day in age.

Tell you what was scary though. I was half asleep watching the inauguration today, and I had a thought about people easily releasing such a thing in those crowds - say spraying clothes or whatever... If no one got caught and no one noticed all those people would disperse to every part of the USA over the next couple of days... That could potentially be massive.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Especially since they have it now. I hope that the CIA is keeping a close eye on these operatives. Something needs to be done to keep it from spreading. Who knows how they mutated it and accoriding to intelligence officals they do not know if it is chemical of biological.

He said authorities in the first week of January intercepted an urgent communication between the leadership of Al Qaeda in the Land of the Maghreb (AQIM) and Al Qaeda's leadership in the tribal region of Pakistan on the border with Afghanistan. The communication suggested that an area sealed to prevent leakage of a biological or chemical substance had been breached, according to the official.

"We don't know if this is biological or chemical," the official said.

The story was first reported by the British tabloid the Sun, which said the Al Qaeda operatives died after being infected with a strain of bubonic plague, the disease that killed a third of Europe's population in the 14th century. But the intelligence official dismissed that claim.

Kdial1

[edit on 20-1-2009 by kdial1]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Do they really have this unconventional weapon though? Or is just Bull crap to keep the fear factor up? This is a worrying story In my opinion. I think we can expect a nasty little surprise in the coming months or maybe years.

The question is though, will it be AlQaeda or a false flag?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
seems unlikely, who ever heard of someone obtaining a biological weapon like that and not obtaining the cure/antidote to it. nominees for the terrorist darwin awards, if the terrorists are dumb enough to kill themselves off this way, it gives us all hope.

sounds like sensationalist propaganda, especially given the original breakers of the story.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
`an unamed offical`

its that dog walker again

no names = BS.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

You may well be dead on, this could be the start of the well oiled propaganda machine in order to point the finger for full blown conflict. Lets just pray that it does not come to a huge conflict and can be dealt with under wraps.

-Kdial1

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
seems unlikely, who ever heard of someone obtaining a biological weapon like that and not obtaining the cure/antidote to it. nominees for the terrorist darwin awards, if the terrorists are dumb enough to kill themselves off this way, it gives us all hope.

sounds like sensationalist propaganda, especially given the original breakers of the story.

I thought bubonic plague was on the level of sarin gas in that it kills within a matter of minutes if not seconds. A cure wouldn't do you much good.

The story has to be taken seriously because if they have the connections to obtain one weapon like this, who knows what else they can get their hands on.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Bubonic Plague is definately not as serious as Sarin gas. Simple anti-biotics cure Bubonic plague and we actually have cases of bubonic plague in New mexico ever year. Takes weeks for a person to die of it.

If you noticed the offical dismissed the bubonic plague as the cause.

Here is a longer story on the washington tomes about it.

www.washingtontimes.com...

-Kdial1

[edit on 20-1-2009 by kdial1]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
According to Wiki, BP kills 50% of those infected in 4-7 days.

en.wikipedia.org...

-------------------------------------

I just can’t imagine anyone trying to handle bio weapons under primitive conditions. Surely it was chemical, if in fact there is anything to this story.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Perhaps Ayers and his old and fat Weather Underground cronies were holding a dirty bomb making clinic for their newly recruited underlings.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I just can’t imagine anyone trying to handle bio weapons under primitive conditions. Surely it was chemical, if in fact there is anything to this story.

This could just be the seed being planted for propaganda agenda later. Who knows....

-Kdial1

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The fact that I cannot find evidence of a 'Dr Khrupinov' at Georgia University (as misspelled by the 'original' article in the Sun) makes me wonder if the Sun (and all other media that copied the mispelling of Khripunov) really thoroughly researched this article or the man allegedly making statements in it.
Or maybe they got distracted by page three.

Apologies for any misspellings

actually he's not in the original story. he was quoted in a follow up.
sorry, got distracted

[edit on 20-1-2009 by ivycutler]

[edit on 20-1-2009 by ivycutler]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
I thought bubonic plague was on the level of sarin gas in that it kills within a matter of minutes if not seconds. A cure wouldn't do you much good.
i believe it is treatable with anti-biotics but i don't know for sure, minutes seems unlikely.

The story has to be taken seriously because if they have the connections to obtain one weapon like this, who knows what else they can get their hands on.

this is the meat for me, the truth is it is likely that sooner or later they will release a biological or chemical weapon. there was an english cell allegedly caught attempting to produce sarin (i think, not sure what chemical it was) but it shouldn't be of something we worry about.

raw sewage in our drinking water would be catostophic and is far more likely than a chemical or biological weapon being sucessfully released in your neighborhood.

the idea of terrorism is to make you afraid, decide to resist the urge to give in and it'll be fine. today's a good day to remember the phrase "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

the idea of terrorism is to make you afraid, decide to resist the urge to give in and it'll be fine. today's a good day to remember the phrase "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

Normally I would agree with you, however 9/11/2001 in Manhatten was not a good day to embrace that phrase. A repeat of similar terror tactics does scare me and should scare every American. But that keeps us wary and alert. That shouldn't be a bad thing as long as we don't let it turn us into paranoid freaks.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
According to Wiki,.

hey how about we all agree that wiki is not a valid source for anything......PLEASE....yeah it's a good place to start your research, or search, but to source it.....we're better than that here on ATS....

eh?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
Do they really have this unconventional weapon though? Or is just Bull crap to keep the fear factor up? This is a worrying story In my opinion. I think we can expect a nasty little surprise in the coming months or maybe years.

The question is though, will it be AlQaeda or a false flag?

I'm suspicious about this as well.

hmmm...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by prjct

Originally posted by resistor
According to Wiki,.

hey how about we all agree that wiki is not a valid source for anything......PLEASE....yeah it's a good place to start your research, or search, but to source it.....we're better than that here on ATS....

eh?

I suppose that's fair enough. But you might have provided a source you consider valid... eh?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
did anyone else notice that the reports came from fox news and The story was first reported by the British tabloid the Sun?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join