It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Crying? Inaguration 2009

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Yes, I'm crying! Are you kidding?

I'm so glad I understand how significant this is. A few short years ago, I don't think I would have "gotten" it. But it's an amazing piece of history. Seeing a black couple walk down Pennsylvania Ave was just so impactful.

It's very cool.

How do you feel about the fact he basically just repeated a Bush speech? How are you all going to react when he also ends up keeping many of his policies?

I cant get over how lemming like people are acting. We are brought up to beleive that skin color doesn't matter and to just treat people based on their character. All of a sudden everyone is voting for a guy, simply so they collectively pat themselves on the back. There is nothing special or historic about this election. Obama is a man with mixed blood just like the rest of us. Its all so racist in its core.

Maybe some day you will all grow up and realize that.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Bakane]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

Originally posted by Mynaeris
reply to post by loam

I have to totally agree with you on this. One day at a time. We will all discover in due time whether he is the Messiah, or the Anti-Christ, or just another politician on the make, or a man who is trying to change the world in which we live in for the better.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

If that is how you feel, then why do you constantly make the presumption he is a disaster and that he is the anti-Christ or whatever?

A true example of saying one thing and doing another.

You haven't changed much still the agent provocateur that I recall, but either way can you please show me my post where I suggested he was the anti-christ? Or when you don't find that please find proof that anything I said was not so regarding his election or half term of office?

In closing are you racist for not voting for him?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I don'h understand how a patriotic American could not feel good about this in some way. Unelss you truly are a racist.

"Either you're with us, or you're with the terrorists."

Just as well I'm not a patriotic American otherwise I'd now be lickety-split over to Tora-Bora.

[edit: to make quote more readable]

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Nirgal]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hi OP,

I'm with you! I was so emotional yesterday whilst watching the whole event. I am very excited about Obama, I just hope I feel this way a year from now.

Best wishes!
Izafyre

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
ya i cried

because this was just another reminder that my fellow americans are being fooled yet agian by the same old tricks

because no one knows anything about law or the constitution anymore

because my government is MASSIVE when the constitution says its suppost to be SMALL

because we want government to give everything to us, instead of working for it and actually OWNING it ourselves

because law enforcement makes up the law any way they want and hands out the smack down

because obama's entire administration is filled to the brim with INSIDERS

oh i cried
i cried

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What gets me is all the talk about how historical this is.If every President after this is black it'll be the same thing,the 2nd black president,the 5th black president the 25th black president,never just the president.Along with the weeks of MLK documentaries,tales of woe from days of slavery and segregation etc.No matter how many people black or white want to believe we're past that. There are too many blacks who make a career out of the drama of it and too many in the media happy to capitalize on it.Tavis Smiley said he won't be satisfied until both candidates for president are black,so don't even think this fixes everything and they're happy now.Polls after the election still show most blacks still think this country is discriminating against them.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

Did you get any cell phone pictures? Could you start a thread about your experience? I would love to hear all of your thoughts and observations about the event and how it felt to be part of one of the most significant and world renown Inaugurations of the 21st century.

Please?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
He is just another member of the New World Order establishment.More of taking away your rights and freedom.

Save your tears for when you can't get a job because you are an American and they only want to hire immigrants because they will work for less money and no benefits.

Save your tears for the time you sit down and tell your grand children about how life in America used to be before we allowed it to be purchased at the highest dollar.

Save your tears for when you realize that some man that we all thought was for us actually was for them.

A billion dollar election campaign means a lot of favors have to be returned.

Save your tears for when you realize that some small town children's doctor from Texas was the true Patriot politician that could have saved us all and that you ignored him for this Celebrity politician.

Save your tears for when they come to take you away.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
yes, i weep inside too, but for different reasons. I look around, and see all the people hoping racism will end soon, but then I see things like this and realize that they're all still just as if not more racist than the people 100-200 and more years ago, but its so institutionalized that its frightening.

When it doesn't matter the person's color, then the racism won't be there.
When we stop having special rights for minorities, the racism will have faded out
When people stop blaming things that happened 100 years ago for their problems today, racism won't be an issue.

its a double standard right now, so unfortunately, racism wont go away for a long time. It'll just change form and become more accepted.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

There will be no racism when some one is not identified as African-American or Mexican-American or Asian-American, but just as an American.

There will be no racism when there is no NAACP or La RaZa or any other such racist organization. There will be racism when there is no Black Caucus in Congress of Latino or Asian.Or a need for such organization.

There will be no racism when they don't ask for or track it on forms you fill out.

The separation of the races and nationalities are continued and perpetrated by those who use this divisiveness to their advantage.

It is sad to think that FDR would not have had a snowballs chance if he ran today. NO ONE in their right mind would elect a cripple to lead this country in the times that he served......but they did.Four times.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
People cried with joy at the sight of Obama's inauguration because centuries of segregation had finally, very significantly, been healed. It was amazing.

Never will our children think it's odd to vote for, or have, a black president. Racism will start to heal for most people who needed to see a black president before they'd lighten up, excuse the pun.

Amazing, really amazing. Life seems so happy today!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
...but then I see things like this and realize that they're all still just as if not more racist than the people 100-200 and more years ago, but its so institutionalized that its frightening.

Come on.

How could that be true? How do you explain that a black man was elected and made President yesterday if we're more racist as a nation than 100 years ago???

A hundred years ago, Obama would have been serving drinks at those balls, rather than speaking and dancing at them as President.

Let's not get ridiculous. Examples of racism found within the country does not convert the nation into one filled with racists.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by loam]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
You mean a half white half Omani Arab man? A man who's kenyan people were most likely slave owners in Africa?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
antar you are stupid.

you don't have to bash people for not "crying"

it maybe a giant leap to people to see a african american as president.

honestly i'm not a supporter of obama or mr. mccain but i will respect that he is my president.

i just hope he does what he is suppose to do.

but still, keep yer emotional trama to another thread or another forum.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
When it doesn't matter the person's color, then the racism won't be there.
When we stop having special rights for minorities, the racism will have faded out
When people stop blaming things that happened 100 years ago for their problems today, racism won't be an issue.

its a double standard right now, so unfortunately, racism wont go away for a long time. It'll just change form and become more accepted.

More true words have never been said! Let it be known that if a black child from a broken home can become POTUS, then there is no need for affirmative action.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Interesting to see how the majority of members I have been holding discussion with on this thread do not mention words like, racism, messiah, Jesus, celebrity, mind control, blindfaith, sheeple being swayed by the msm, hatred, anger, slavery, civil rights, and so many others.

It was a simple question, asked at a time when it was most appropriate. This has gone on in rant for 24 hours now and has become a circus.

I may or may not check back in, but I refuse to commit myself to negative chatter any longer.

Perhaps someone should open a thread and discuss these issues in a civil manner elsewhere. There are some interesting and valid points being made but they are so mixed up and jumbled together with utter nonsense and insulting insinuation, that they loose their ability to put the idea across in the manner that they are most likely intended.

I appreciate each and every comment and respect all of you for your opinions.

Have I cried today? No. I am not a blubbering ninny as has been suggested on this thread, but I am blessed with much feeling and heart.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
More true words have never been said! Let it be known that if a black child from a broken home can become POTUS, then there is no need for affirmative action.

Racism is one of the most misunderstood of phenomena, and that statement clearly shows.

Racism today is not your father's racism. people seem to think that the only way to be racist is to call somebody 'n-word', beat and lynch them, and to segregate them. Its a lot more complex then that.

Barack Obama becoming president had a lot to do with circumstance as well as his own doing. For one, remember that he is a black man who was raised by whites (his grandparents). Let's say he was raised by just his biological father (who didn't amount to much as a father, it seems) and his mother, I'm not so sure he would be anywhere near the position he is right now. Not to mention, he grew up in Hawaii, and was thus not exposed to the absolutely decrepit conditions that Blacks had to deal with in the CONUS. Not to mention Hawaii had a minority white population (white actually experienced racism in Hawaii during that time), and thus the environment was far better for a person of color to succeed in.

Now, imagine if Obama had grown up in a place like Georgia and Kansas, as opposed to Hawaii. He would have grown up in a society that was segregated both as an official and unofficial policy. He would have gone to a school of far lesser quality than his white counterparts. The workforce and economy would have had no place for him, except in one of those go-nowhere jobs on the lower wrungs of the economic ladder. Even if he found a way in, he would still experienced discrimination and prejudice from his coworkers and superiors. You tell me, how does a person who grew up like that become POTUS? The answer: He doesn't.

Obama's success was due to whites who decided to put aside their own prejudices to care for one of their own. Obama's ascendency started in a place where he did not have to endure the level of suffering experienced by others of his kind all across the United States. Obama was born at the right place and the right time.

The fact is, racism still exists, it just exists in a very sublte, structural form. Pretending like race doesn't matter anymore is proof of racism's very existence. Boiling it down to problems of the individual and making absurds notions such as putting the onus of pressure on minorities to rid racism goes to show racism will continue to reign. When people voted for Barack Obama in 2008, they showed that they were willing to look beyond race, not necessarily that they didn't see race anymore.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

My job required me to not take any pictures, so even though I brought a camera along, I couldn't sneak a single pic in. My experience is not as grand as you would think, either. I basically stayed in one place the whole time. My job was very specific and it required me to devote at least 40% of my attention to something other than the inauguration ceremony.

Plus, you don't want to hear about my experience. It would be one expletive after another regarding how cold it was, how uncooperative and annoying some people were, the insults I had to endure, and the long lines a tthe Metro. It would be mixed in, however, with talk of how I encountered many beautiful young girls.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Save the, "this is a historic day," and the, "we are no longer a racist nation," garbage for the day that America elects a black man (or any other skin color) and nobody even notices. As is, I feel discriminated against. If 4 years from now a white man is elected and I run around crying and freaking out because, "OH! It's so historic! A white man is finally the President again! Someday I will tell my grandchildren about the day we put the white man back in office," I would lose my job and probably get the crap beat out of me. But that's what I have been subjected to at work and at school ever since the election. I feel deceived. Black co-workers and friends who I see every day and consider friends are high-fiving each other after the election results and saying, "we finally got one!" Being white, I was not included in any such celebrations. Have my black friends been harboring some unspoken grudge against me because I'm white? I don't know what else to say, but all of this has left me feeling a little awkward...

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join