It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Crying? Inaguration 2009

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I just cannot stop crying my eyes out. I think of all of the history behind the United States and Black Slavery. Can you imagine if you were to tell the people who suffered so greatly in our country just a couple of centuries ago that one day, one great day, a Black Man would become the President?

I have had a past life regression where I recalled having three of my children taken away by slave traders. Not to derail the thread, but this feels like vindication.

Today is the most surreal political experience I have ever had. I only wish my Mom was alive to see this day, she was the most un prejudice person I know, the most compassionate and deserving of this moment in History.

She saw Obama years ago when he made that famous speech, and she knew he would someday be the President, she was so right.

I just had to share this. I was on pins and needles as Barrack and Michelle walked hand in hand through the crowd of millions. I am so proud of all of us. It is uncertain where this will lead, and he has a long way to go and a rough road ahead, but if he stands tall and does not let the money get in his way, the politicians and vested interests, if remains humble to the people who voted him into office, overwhelmingly voted for him, and for what he stands for, then we will most certainly see the first steps in a positive change which we the people so greatly deserve.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
One person can and does make a difference, from the smallest act to the grandest.
Think about it, if Rosa Parks had not refused to give up her seat that day on the bus, would we be here now at this moment in time?

Life is a celebration of little moments culminating into who we are as a human race, one earthly species, with all of the potential of the seedling that scratches its way out of the hard shell, and we are all vulnerable just like the little seedling rising up into the great and noble Old Oak tree.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
it is definitely historic. and should be a source of pride for all americans.
especially for those who've experienced segregation.
i share your sentiments. my mother and grandmother lived those indignities.
and this day is for celebration and reflection.

alas, i think your joy will soon be negated, ridiculed, and dismissed as:
so what?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'm not prone to crying and I did not vote for Obama, but I agree with your perception of the significance of this. It is time and let us hope Obama was the right one. Lets hope he lives up to even the least of expectations and if he does we all win.

The question now is, can he serve the people instead of a Party?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
not so much.
i bawled more on election night. heh.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yes, I'm crying! Are you kidding?

I'm so glad I understand how significant this is. A few short years ago, I don't think I would have "gotten" it. But it's an amazing piece of history. Seeing a black couple walk down Pennsylvania Ave was just so impactful.

It's very cool.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

My chest heaved at your response, you and me can and will cry from the intensity of our aliveness.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I also cried when he step down the Capitol step before been sworn in, the sheer realization that our nation just made history and the magnitude of the event along with seen two million people celebrating in Washington just made me feel very emotional.

I just have to say that I still have hopes and I still believe in democracy.

+61 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Are you serious?

Of course I'm not crying. Obama is just a run-of-the-mill politician, as cheap, small and petty as any of his ilk.

There will be time enough for crying when this country really understands the mess that eight years of bush have left us. Gathering our strength to face the bleak days ahead is more important than shedding tears over a fleeting moment that may not change a thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xenophiles

Hey bud, I am seeing a pattern with you today. I understand that there is an incredible amount of emotional energy flying through the noos for anyone to reach out and grab, but can you back off from me?

This thread is not for everyone, and so, peace out.

+63 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don't see whats worth crying over. Segregation is gone just open your eyes. Look on the TV, a bunch of white women competing over black rappers on VH1, a bunch of white rappers trying to be black.

And of course black people hold fame and positions already: Colin Powell, Chris Rock, Pretty much all basketball players, Denzel Washington...

Obama is half white, and actually I think his skin color had a lot to do with him being president. It actually inspired 10's of millions of blacks to vote for the first time. When if you think about it is actually very sad.

I've read so many times today quotes like "this is the first time im glad to be an American". That is so utterly sad, that a mans race actually has that much to do with something so important.

I could care less if he is purple, we need a President that stops this political corruption and actually makes change in the peoples interest, not in their own.

Maybe the day I'll cry out of happiness is when the important issues are corrected, and we don't have to worry about loosing 401ks and investments. We don't have to worry about fighting in useless wars, and we can find work again making our old wages. When the conflict between the political parties are done, and they work together. Maybe when the world looks up to our country again.

[edit on 20/1/09 by xstealth]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think I saw Oprah Winfrey shed a tear during his first speach, standing in the crowd.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I did too but it was not the words, it was the essence of the total gestalt.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It's a matter of perspective I suppose. I think of all the neo Nazi's, skinheads and white supremist's who are crying right now and I've been laughing my ass off

It's a good day to be an American.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
I don't see whats worth crying over. Segregation is gone just open your eyes. Look on the TV, a bunch of white women competing over black rappers on VH1, a bunch of white rappers trying to be black.

The world is filled with segregation. It is filled with separatism, open eyes?

And of course black people hold fame and positions already: Colin Powell, Chris Rock, Pretty much all basketball players, Denzel Washington...

Today the first Black Male has risen to the height of our nations trust.

Obama is half white, and actually I think his skin color had a lot to do with him being president. It actually inspired 10's of millions of blacks to vote for the first time. When if you think about it is actually very sad.

It has been an inspiration to us all, it has been a moment of pure joy for the first time in years, people came out to vote, not for color but for change, and the people believe he is the one strong enough to fight for those who came out to vote.

I've read so many times today quotes like "this is the first time im glad to be an American". That is so utterly sad, that a mans race actually has that much to do with something so important.

We can all celebrate this election as it has made people know that their vote does count.

I could care less if he is purple, we need a President that stops this political corruption and actually makes change in the peoples interest, not in their own.

Agreed!

Maybe the day I'll cry out of happiness is when the important issues are corrected, and we don't have to worry about loosing 401ks and investments. We don't have to worry about fighting in useless wars, and we can find work again making our old wages. When the conflict between the political parties are done, and they work together. Maybe when the world looks up to our country again.

When that day arrives, will you remember what you have just posted? It is going to take time, and the future is so uncertain, the corruption runs so deep, but the day will come.

[edit on 20/1/09 by xstealth]

[edit on 20-1-2009 by antar]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I am not a crier normally, but I sat on my couch with a cup of coffee in hand and could not stop the tears from rolling.

I cried with joy and hope and also out of the realization despite what he does as a president there for so many people is a renewed sense of being an American and living a positive moment in history rather than the overwhelming negatives of the last few years.

I cried because for the first time in my adult life a political leader than I actually voted for and believed in became elected.

I cried because of the social significance not only of his skin color, but his multicultural upbringing.

But mostly I cried out of relief, I really really disliked Bush Cheney and the rest of the cronies.

+32 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

It has been an inspiration to us all, it has been a moment of pure joy for the first time in years, people came out to vote, not for color but for change, and the people believe he is the one strong enough to fight for those who came out to vote.

We can all celebrate this election as it has made people know that their vote does count.

There is change every 4-8 years. Like it or not, I watched the news and saw the TV interviews at the voting polls, where person after person was ADMITTING they were voting for him because he is black. And then, Did you hear the Howard Stern Harlem Interviews? Those were black people voting for Obama, and they didn't know who his running mate was, if he was for stem cell research, if he supported abortion, his stance on the wars, NOTHING. There reason was skin color, that's it.

People were getting 'change' whether they liked it or not, and all he promised was change, but no strict details on what or how.

Look, exciting day to some, but to me I realize how pathetic some people really are voting for a man who wasn't the best for this country, but just because he was black.

I wish Ron Paul was black, then we could have some REAL CHANGE starting with the Federal Reserve, then the IRS, and the banks....

That is change! Not an unproven man elected into office, its already happened 43 TIMES!

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

DITTO

Originally posted by antar
this feels like vindication.

Vindication - The act of vindicating.
Vindicate - to get revenge for; avenge. To deliver from. Justification.

So you are crying tears of joy because you think that Obama being POTUS - and being part black - is revenge against who? A bunch of people who are DEAD you who think did you wrong in some past life? How exactly is him being POTUS, revenge for that?

Whatever.

+27 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm crying too,tears of despair,that so called intelligent people can fall for this scam.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
No matter what party you belong in this time and age, today January 20, 2009 we have a historical day no matter how well or poorly President Obama may do he have a page in America and the world history.

He is the first Black American president elected.

Wanted or not is historical and I am very happy to be living now to see history been made.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join